Does holding in Weed smoke actually make you higher?

Discussion in 'Tokers Q&A' started by Sceaspit11, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Interesting well you learn something everyday! :smoke:

2. Anything over three or four seconds, nope.

3. Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration.

Psychopharmacology, Volume 103, Number 2 - SpringerLink

ScienceDirect.com - Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior - Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke

4. I heard that it doesn't and that it only increases the tar in your lungs.

5. Wow great finding Purperhino! lol Well now I know for sure that holding it in past 3-4 is pointless.

6. I will always hold my smoke for at least 3 seconds, when vaping I try to ghost it.

7. Fair enough, then let me rephrase - you absorb ~95% of the THC your lungs can possibly absorb from the smoke almost immediately. :smoke:

8. Sorry about the miscommunication, please specify what you mean next time so we can eliminate that.

9. In all honesty, just hold it in for 10 seconds, taste your bud.. Don't just fucking suck in, and blow ( no homo ) because you'll get high, but you won't enjoy the process as much as if you could taste your bud. Keep it in your lungs, and just hold it deep using your abdominal area for about 10 seconds.

10. Because tasting your bud and deoxygenating yourself are the same thing.:rolleyes:

11. No it doesnt, all you need is for the smoke to enter your lungs for a few seconds then blow it out, holding it causes lung problems

12. Where are you getting this information because it sounds like your just saying things that you think could be true or make sense to you or you think you heard about it before lol

13. He can't read minds, you didn't put that in your comment so how is he supposed to know

14. [quote name='"Hali Hostility"']

I've read and heard TONS about how your lungs just do not have the capacity to absorb ALL the thc in your hit, unless it's a really small hit, and has some room to move around in there, it just has to do with the thickness of the smoke and the walls of your lungs and stuff, I'm not sure if the amount is as low as 15% but I dont think that its 100% or 90% either..

I like to take small inhales of air while i'm holding it to like, stir it up on the walls of my lungs:p
    I feel like it makes a small difference.:smoke:[/quote]

This actually works cause I guess your lower lungs absorb more thc .... So taking that extra breath is good to get the smoke to your lower lungs

15. I often do the same, except I exhale a bit and bring in more oxygen. I feel it helps. :smoke:

16. and you learned that where?

17. HowStuffWorks "Marijuana in the Body"

The way I think about it is:
    When we breathe oxygen, it's in and out of our lungs almost instantly. We don't hold our oxygen "hit" in our lungs to breathe because of how fast the gas exchange is. So I figure it shouldn't be much different with smoke.

I do hold it in for about 3-5 secs though

18. THC gets absorbed quite quickly, any more then 3-5 seconds is pointless to me

19. All you have to do is just hold it for a couple seconds

20. Yes but after like 5 seconds it's useless

Grasscity Deals Near You