Does Glass Weaken At All?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by grass man420, Jun 13, 2013.

1. i have dropped things onto my bong before and it will make a loud clinking noise but it doesn't crack at all. does this weaken the glass in the long run? like i have a glass bowl for my glass bong, one time i dropped it a bit and it hit the downstem and i was lucky it didn't break. does this have any effect on the chemical bonds holding the glass together? or does it have to have enough force to break some of the bonds in one knock of the glass for it to have any effect?

by hitting glass, without it cracking or showing signs of damage, can the bonds holding it together be weakened?

i can clarify the question more if needed.

2. #2 STilladelph, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    If it chips it, absolutely, if not id say your fine.

3. All materials decay over time even.if they just sit there.

If you dropped your bong; there are probly microfractures you can't see.

Over time if you keep dropping it it will weaken and break

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. my friend said once that if you left your bong sitting on the table for like a few hundred years or maybe a few thousand years and if you could come back to it it would be a puddle of molten glass or whatever.

so each time i hear that clinking noise tiny microfractures are being created however slightly weakening the bonds of the glass?

5. #5 yurigadaisukida, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
    Ummmmm. Kinda.

It would be more like a trillion years. But yea the glass would eventually be reduced to powder

Erosion, pressure, gas, light, heat, all these things are variables too

6. Glass is technically a liquid, so give it a few hundred years, or thousand depending on glass quality and the answer is yes.

7. Shitty glass definitely gets weaker over time. Generally only becomes a problem for me with bubblers and pipes though, I think because of the heat involved. I've had shitty pieces literally just break in half in my hand after a few months of use for absolutely no reason. With thicker glass it's not as much of a problem (but they always end up getting broken sooner or later anyway lol.)

But, to finally answer the question of whether or not subsequent drops lead to gradual breakage.....I have no idea lol. Probably though, to an extent. 

8. Really? Im going.to look that up. I didnt know that

9. What he said doesn't really mean anything lol. All metals are technically liquids too, at the right temperature....

10. What he said doesn't really mean anything lol. All metals are technically liquids too, at the right temperature....
    </blockquote>
    Thays what i was thinking. But the way he said it...

Thabks

11. it was more or less an interesting fact that kinda answers the question.

everything can be taken care of, just take no4ice of how well the shroud of Turin has held up

12. Glass isn't a liquid at or anywhere near room temperature.

Anyways, yes I would think that many chips and small fractures would have an effect on the glass's integrity.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

13. [​IMG]

14. Glass is actually a substance that scientists have puzzled over for decades. Some consider it a liquid because of its initial phase. Its a solid that displays a atomic structure of something that is supercooled liquid. 

Today most scientists who study it view it as a substance that exists between a solid and a supercooled liquid since it moves over time very slowly. Even thought its hard it never fully becomes solid

Modern day manufacturing of it eliminates most of those properties do to additives added in the making of it. A good example of glass moving is Churches from the past. If you look at the glass its thicker at the bottom then the top. They believe if you had millions of years to watch it it would eventually become fully solid. 

15. At room temperature, glass is an amorphous solid.

16. I realize what I posted was an old wives tail, thanks for the numerous corrections all you dr. Smarty pants faces, where'd you get your degree? Know it all university?

17. The Google Institute of Technology
    University of Bing

18. #18 lilro, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
    Yes. I remember seeing an episode of Mythbusters where they were testing glass windows. They were trying to duplicate jumping out of a building or something like that. The first time they tried, it didn't break, but after repeated attempts, the glass broke. They found that even micro-scratches weakened the integrity of the glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U5YltjqSoQ

19. Glass has no specific melting point. The hotter it gets, the more the molecules move and the glass gets gradually softer, as opposed to ice or metal which has a definite identifiable phase change at a certain temp. As such it is understood that the glass can still move at any temperature.