Does germination normally take this long?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RonPaullegion92, Jul 18, 2012.

1. So I started about 6 purple kush seeds my friend gave me from a hermie pollinated female, the hermie was due to light leaks not genetics so the seeds should be feminized right? I also threw in about 6 outdoor skunk bagseeds and 5 mixed bagseeds. I started all of them in a shot glass and then when they sank I put them in the paper towel method, its been about 3-4 days for about half but some have been in the plastic container for about 5-6 days. I had one pop after 48hrs but the taproot stopped growing its in soil now, the others appear darker but none have cracked. I have them on top of my cable box for warmth and wrapped them in cloth to keep light out, I used deer park and distilled water to germinate and ALL the seeds were dark plump and with the tiger stripes. I cracked one just to see if they were alive or not and the tiny white seedling inside looked alive am I being impatient im eager to get them out asap and these are my last seeds.
    *Could they just be old seeds and take longer?
    *Could there be bacteria or fungus in the paper towel, I didnt touch the seeds with my bare hands but I did squeeze the towel to let excess water out.
    *When should I give up and start new seeds?
    *Whats the longest a batch has taken to germinate?

2. They may be feminized, but will more than likely carry a hermaphrodite gene. It IS a new generation, and since it was produced by hermaphrodites it's more than likely that the trait was passed down.

It shouldn't take 5 days. If mine don't germinate in 48 hours, I usually contribute it to a dud. Don't worry about contamination. Remember that these seeds would regularly grow out in nature where 'contamination' grows everywhere.

If the seeds weren't harvested, dried and 'cured' properly, they won't germinate.

By now, they aren't going to germinate. Trash them.

3. hope 2 toke doesn't throw away for weeks

take the heat away. Just leave it loosely covered in a temperate dark area. come back in a week or two. If nothing, nothing. If it sprouts your +1

4. #5 ChaoticCrux, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    If you have too much water in with your paper towel, they will not pop.

Dont throw them away.

I had 20 seeds in a paper towel in a ziplock that was too wet, I waited 5 days and NOTHING from any of them. I took the paper towel out, squeezed all the water I could out and put it back into the ziplock bag. I also started another 20 seeds in another ziplock and I made sure to squeeze almost all the water out of the paper towel. (first time it had excess water in the ziplock, not much just some)

I check it the next morning and I have 30+ sprouted seeds.

So thats something to try.

My last plant hermied and pollinated itself or its sister I have no clue, I saw no male parts, but I only got about 50 seeds total from 2 plants (not sure if it was one plant or both, I checked after the weed dried) and everyone of those seeds has turned out to be a female. (my garden has 20 females out of 20 seeds, I fucked up and expected maybe half to be males and than select my 2 favorite girls, but I cant bear to kill any)

I did not cure or do anything special to the seeds, I popped them out of the bud, put them into a seed box I have (just a wood box) and 1 month later germinated every single one of them.
    *edit*
    I also just left my ziplocks sitting ontop of my fridge, clear bags, white paper towel. I dont worry about the dark or light when they are seeds but it may make a difference. (my way works for me is all :) )

5. I had some that were too wet in a baggie. As soon as i gavem some air, they cracked!

6. Thanks turns out the paper towel underneath still had alot of water in it and there was too much paper towels in the container. I squeezed the remaining water out of both until they were only a little moist, and removed the extra paper towels. I still have them on top of the box because I heard 80-85 was the best temperature as opposed to room temperature.

7. Glad I didn't listen to ohspyro89, weed wont germinate unless conditions are PERFECT that means temperature, moisture/humidity, and water quality/ph. Clearly they werent getting enough oxygen in the heavy wet paper towels.

8. any luck?

9. I was in the same boat as you. I had seeds that were in the paper towel and half of them popped and the other half didn't so I added more water. 12 hours later nothing. I assumed I fried them with the heat mat but still tried to save them. I grabbed a new paper towel and wet it and wrung it out pretty well. Couple of hours later the seeds popped

10. Seeds left in too much moisture will eventually rot an the taproot inside will turn black.

I had this with one before it went soggy an I left it for about 12 days.

I use cotton wool in a little dish an just moisten it a little put seeds in cover with more moist wool an put it in the airing cupboard where the temps are a little higher than room temp and I get 100% success rates :)

11. Lmao none of them germed but one which sprouted but never rooted, the seeds were probably retarded because I started another batch from some mids and they germinated in 36hours in a shot glass. My living situation is about to change so ill veg them indoors for 3-4weeks under a 85w fluorsent tube lamp indoors then transfer outdoors in early-mid september to flower. Plus I have a feminized Tahoe OG Kush from Cali Connect seeds im planning on breeding 1female and a male. Ill make a journal soon.