Does free-will exist?

Discussion in 'General' started by fragyn, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Here's my take on it. I think free-will is an illusion because it doesn't contain any affect on our actions. The prime controller of our actions/thoughts is obviously the brain. We've all seen or read the way damage to the brain can impact our actions/thoughts. This proves that the brain has some if not all control of our thoughts/actions. Did we choose our brain? No. If you'd said you did, I'd ask you to ponder a little further and tell me from what circumstances you choose your brain...this goes up to eternity...At the end of the day, we're thinking from circumstances we didn't choose. You can also analyze how children behave and ask yourself the same question of "why?". Why do children behave in a very specific manner? This would raise more questions. Anyways, I would love to hear what you guys got to say about this philosophical question.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. We don't choose what we get but we get to choose what we do with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. but listen...We're choosing what we can do with it FROM CIRCUMSTANCES WE DIDN'T CHOOSE.

4. Do you have a point? Life doesn't owe you shit. Just because your circumstances start off as a game of chance doesn't mean free will doesn't exist.

5. You have the free will to do with what you have. Your brain is inherently a part of you. No one gets to choose if they come into existence, yet your parental units chose to bring you to term. Once you have developed a bit you do make choices that effect you and those around you.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think we have free will. free will is perception, will is action

7. Let's settle it once and for all and call it freeish will.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. That wasn't what I was trying to say...but w/e lol.

9. I used to think we had free will until I became a junkie. If you think you have free will then chose to hold your breath for 4 minutes. I think we do what we're told to do by the guy sitting in the driver's seat in the middle of our heads and we only see what he lets us see. We think his decisions are ours. Why would any thinking person intentionally do some of the shit we do?

10. Lol so your post you didn't write it? You didn't articulate all your points? Someone else write it for you? Cause you know, doing something you want too would kinda mean free will. Lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Lol, *facepalm* :GettingStoned:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think that without free will the 3rd dimension would be a bit redundant, why come here for an experience that can already be pre-calculated. I think events and certain people can be pre determined for you but at the end of the day you have to make it to that check point

13. Nobody is able to explain free will. It's something that society believes in, but knows nothing about it. My thoughts have limits. I can't analyze a chessboard for 2 hours without getting bored. This boredom will have an influence on my decision IF there's no friction on the other side(ex: dare)...and then I'll act. Simple code.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I will choose free will

'Too blessed to be stressed'

• Like Like x 2
  15. The brain is 100% in control and responsible for all actions, but the brain cannot choose to alter certain aspects of itself. Some is hard-wired, like not being able to hold your breath until you die. Other stuff, like decision making, we've ultimately got free reign. And by "we", I mean our brains - because that's all we really are. We don't choose our brains, we are brains.

Back to free will: we all have the ability to choose our actions. Many of us act similarly due to shared experiences, including both those created by society (childhood, school, etc) and by biology (hormones, all that jazz). At the end of the day, you can do or say whatever the fuck you want. But many external forces suppress this, like social pressure and norms.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The point is we didn't choose our brains. We didn't choose us. Random chance is not free will. The only thing that's left is determinism. No space for free will. It's like saying we are humans, but did we choose to be humans ? No, the circumstances that we are thinking from and deciding have been given without our consent.

17. When you don't exist you don't have a choice, naturally. That does not detract from the fact that once you do, and once you've gained the skills, you Do have free will.
    You are confusing yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I disagree, but I still respect ur opinion. I can't convince myself to believe in free will because I have a complete different understanding of it. The understanding I have wasn't chosen by me.

19. If you know nothing of your time before birth, how do you know for sure that you never made a choice towards your birth?

• Like Like x 1
  20. is this "got ya" moment? lol
    I'll explain why. From what circumstances did I choose from? and if u can answer that. From what circumstances did I choose those circumstances? and then it repeats... Do u rlly think it's an infinite maze? It's like saying aliens exist with no evidence to back it up. It's a futile argument. Logic and reason are closely connected to determinism. Free-will on the other hand has nothing but "what if".