Does everything appear to be ok?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Fury, Sep 25, 2011.

1. This is my first time grow. I was reading that the leaves are supposed to die off after a while- however I just needed a second opinion. We also just recently (about a week ago) had a fight with spider mites.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Im no expect but looks like over or under watering to me mate

3. Hmm.. Maybe. Every other day or when the soil is dry is how often I have been watering it. Once a week with this miracle grow all purpose plant food- would that be considered over/under watering?

4. No it definitely doesnt.

In the spirit of constructive criticism, do u want
    the strait-up bluntness that it will be ???

I could write a post a mile long, but promise I wont lol ;).

Freak
    :smoke:

5. Looks like over watering and lack of nutes. Plus, you need to give you plants a chance to bounce back. So if you've corrected the problems, then give them a couple of days to see the changes take place.

6. It also looks like you have a Potassium deficiency. Treat by fertilizing with a complete N-P-K fertilizer. If it's toxicity because you've added to much nutes then flush the growing medium with a very mild and complete fertilizer. Flush with a minimum of three times the volume of water for the volume of the growing medium.

7. Freakbro: I am a blunt kind of guy. If I am doing something wrong, point it out. I would rather have it be blunt and straight forward than beat around the bush. Blunt gets things done.

Deathhead: What exactly is telling you that it is over watered? The color of the leaves? I just want to know so I can spot is next time.

Is the complete N-P-K fertilizer available at say- the home depot?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-3001192-Purpose-Plant-Food/dp/B000OWF7YI]Amazon.com: Miracle-Gro 3001192 All Purpose Plant Food - 10 Pound: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

This is what I have been using. Think I should flush it prior to adding the N-P-K fetilizer?

8. #8 Fury, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
    Freakbro: I am a blunt kind of guy. If I am doing something wrong, point it out. I would rather have it be blunt and straight forward than beat around the bush. Blunt gets things done.

Deathhead: What exactly is telling you that it is over watered? The color of the leaves? I just want to know so I can spot is next time.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-3001192-Purpose-Plant-Food/dp/B000OWF7YI]Amazon.com: Miracle-Gro 3001192 All Purpose Plant Food - 10 Pound: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

This is what I have been using. Think I should flush it prior to adding the N-P-K fetilizer?

9. [quote name='"Fury"']Freakbro: I am a blunt kind of guy. If I am doing something wrong, point it out. I would rather have it be blunt and straight forward than beat around the bush. Blunt gets things done.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-3001192-Purpose-Plant-Food/dp/B000OWF7YI

This is what I have been using. Think I should flush it prior to adding the N-P-K fetilizer?[/quote]

The over watering indicator's are the heavy drooping of your leaves. (sorry I didn't mention that before.) when did you add nutes last? If it's been a week then I would add again. If it's only been a couple of days then I would suggest a 24 flush just to rinse out any build up on the roots that could be blocking ALL the nutes from being absorbed.

10. We just gave it more nutes this morning. So flush it out tomorrow? And where can I pick up some of that N-P-K fertilizer?

11. [quote name='"Fury"']We just gave it more nutes this morning. So flush it out tomorrow? And where can I pick up some of that N-P-K fertilizer?[/quote]

I would wait then to see if the new nutes changes anything for better or worse. My wife just said if you're using soil then you need to flush longer than 24 hours, about a week. N-P-K nutes can be found just about anywhere, Walmart, etc. If there isn't a Hydroponics store around or a strictly gardening store. Remember, when in public you're growing tomatoes lol. I know money can be really tight so I would look online too.

12. #12 Fury, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
    Yes I am using soil. So I will wait a few days to see what happens with the nutes. If it starts to mellow out I will leave it alone. However if it doesn't I will flush it out.

So when you say flush for a week- does that mean I flush it the first day and let it sit for a week? If not, how would I go about doing it? This may be a stupid question but I am in this for the learning experience.

EDIT:
    I have .75 cf of soil to flush- that's 5.6 gallons. So does that mean I would use 16.8 gallons of water to flush it out? If I am correct, would I just flush it all out at once or over time?

13. The MG nutes you're using have NPK. It will have the numbers on the box, like 10-10-10 or whatever. What are the numbers? You're flowering, so at this stage the first number (N) should be lower than the 2nd and 3rd (P&K). What kind of water are you using? Tap water? If so is it hard or soft? Also, what kind of soil are you using? Is it Miracle Gro? Do you have a pH meter or drops? You can get aquarium pH indicator drops in the range of 6.2 - 7.4 at a pet store that sells fish, they're about $5.

I concur with the P deficiency but some leaves (with the small brown speckles) look like they have a calcium def. Or, it could be a pH problem. I think most likely it is a P def. which should be corrected ASAP because your flowers are already stunted. But we need the answers to the questions to give better advice.

14. OK. Im going to keep this short.

Here is a list of things that u can maybe work on
    to improve your unhappy plants disposition. Remember
    here, that she is already in a weakened state from the
    battle with the Spider Mites, so easy does it. She looks
    like a nice plant with great potential, if u give her some
    real TLC for these last few weeks...

What is the Ph at ??? I can tell by just one glimpse, that
    it is outta wack. The wavy, blistery blades point this out.
    U must get the Ph in the range of 6.3 - 6.8 for the plant
    to be comfortable.

What is the lighting setup ???

Get rid of the tin foil. It is one of the worst reflectors and
    all its doing is bouncing light around and in certain instances
    it can burn your plants, by the way it can magnify, if bent
    a certain way. Put up flat white - thats the best.

It looks like there is an overabundance of N. MG nutes are
    notorious for delivering too much N. I suggest u change to
    good flowering nutes, that are high in P & K. This will definitely
    give her a boost.

I can also tell that shes getting too much water. Let her dry out
    a bit in between waterings, she will love u for it.

What are the temps and RH (relative humidity) like ???

Firstly tho, get the Ph in line. That is your baseline from
    which everything depends.

Hope this helps some...

Freak

15. Ok. I have gone to walmart and gotten PH testing strips. Here is what I have gathered for information- let me know if I missed something.

N-P-K of the Miracle Grow all purpose plant food: 24-8-16

Water type: Tap. I did a PH test of the water itself and found out the tap water is Soft.

Soil type: Topsoil
    -------

I ran a test of the soil and found that the PH was rather high. I used test strips- so I don't have an exact number. But the chart I am using says it could be 7.8 through 8.4. (which is a bit high from what you guys are telling me)

For lighting I am using two CFL lights.

SpringLight 68-Watt (300W) Soft White Household CFL Light Bulb (1-Pack)-28968RP at The Home Depot

That's the main light. There was another CFL kicking around the house- so I decided to put that in there as well. I believe it puts out something like 2200 lumens and puts out the same light spectrum as the one I linked above.

EDIT: I also need a quick run down on how I should go about flushing her. I have .75 cf of soil to flush- that's 5.6 gallons. So does that mean I would use 16.8 gallons of water to flush it out? If I am correct, would I just flush it all out at once or over time?

16. The test strips tend to be inaccurate but if they are right, the pH is way too high. I don't understand how a pH test of your water could tell you that the water is soft. If your water is alkaline, (which usually results from hard water), it would explain the pH of your soil. If you water is soft, I don't know how your soil got so alkaline, unless it came that way.

Top soil is usually not good, but I don't know exactly what you've got. Any chance you could repot her into something better?

You need nutes with higher P, but you must get the pH down. It takes a while for soil pH to change, so that's partly the reason I suggested repotting her. Use pH up or citric acid (or even vinegar) to decrease the feed or flush water to about 6.2. If you're not confident about the test strips, get the indicator drops or a digital tester if you can afford one. Good luck!

17. Walmart.com: Jungle 5 N 1 Test Strips: Fish

That's how I got all of my answers.

What would you suggest for soil? If you can link it to me- I'll drive to walmart/ home depot right now.

I am still not sure about how to actually flush the plant successfully though.

18. Thanx for the info.

For nutes, the MG is bad at this stage of the plants life. It is way too high
    in N for flower. Find a ratio that resembles something like 10 - (30 or higher) - 15.

Hopefully, soon u can get a proper Ph meter to tell u exactly what is up. In the meantime,
    some immediate action is warranted to lower the Ph. It will surely kill the plant if left at
    this state for much longer. Weed loves a Ph somewhere in the range of 6.3 - 6.8.
    Aim for 6.5.

To remedy this, if u dont have any Ph up or Ph down products, u can use citric acid (lemons/limes)
    or acetic acid (vinegar).

U need to add it to your flush water, as u need to flush the soil 2 times ok ???
    Trust me on this...

This should lower the Ph somewhat. Youll have to tinker a bit with ratios, but it will lower
    the Ph, which is the priority right now.

Once the soil is cooled down, u can start over from scratch, with better soil, and u can
    then feed the proper, high P & K flowering nutes :).

Freak

19. Oh, I see. I'm not familiar with that kit. What did it say the pH of your tap water is? I don't know what Walmart/Home Depot carries, but I have a feeling they don't have good soil. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Is there a nursery or garden store near you? In the mean time, flush with 6,2 or 6.0 (no lower than 6.0). After the flush, follow with a lite feed of flower nutes (with high P).

20. #20 Fury, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    I am at the home depot right now. What product should I pick up to lower the Ph? And which brand of soil should I pick up?

I'm looking at some plant food has 15-30-15. Is that what I should be getting?