Does DARE program actually increase likelihood of drug use?

Discussion in 'General' started by High Lord Kevin, May 5, 2007.

1. So, I've heard it bandied about that DARE graduates do not have any lower rates of drug use then non DARE students. In fact some folks, myself included think that DARE may actually increase drug use by introducing the idea of these things to children/kids who have a whole lot of curiosity. Another thing I find interesting is the analogies between DARE and the Hitler youth programs and DARE and the Soviet youth programs where children were urged to turn in their parents and such.... I can hear it now, "Yes kid being raised in this foster home is much better for you then being with your loving parents who smoke pot to relieve their stress from working so hard" So, does anyone out there have any real stats on drug use rates for DARE kids. Does anyone out there have any info about comparisons with the Hitler Youth and Soviet Youths?

2. I don't have the statistics that you are looking for, but I too am a DARE child. I just remember the only reason why me and the rest of the kids liked it was because it was more entertaining than class. Most kids are fascinated with all the police officers equipment and what not, I remember I was. They even had that gay Leo the DARE mascot to appeal to kids. But in the end I didn't get any information. Even as a child it was so vague I didn't get a good enough understanding about it. They never told you how the different drugs affected people differently, they just clumped all drugs into one categroy: BAD. We were taught techniques when approached by drug dealers, like the broken record technique. Its sure to stop the drug dealer in his track and not get your ass kicked.

"hey little man, wanna try some pot?"
    "no"
    "you know those adults lie to you about it"
    "no"
    "so why don't you wanna?"
    "no"
    "yo whats your problem?"
    "no"
    "no"
    "no"
    *starts convulsing*
    "no"
    "no..."
    BAM *lights out*

3. In my DARE program we got a magician and we had cool magic tricks performed, along with doing some fun other activities, we also got prizes, tshirts and bumper stickers!

It was a complete waste, but I did an awesome report on magic mushrooms and it made me want to do them so bad LOL

4. the broken record technique!

Good job, I bet Leo would be proud, and he'd prolly give you a SWELL high wave!

5. "The program was associated with unexpected adverse effects on the primary drug outcomes; that is, D.A.R.E. students, relative to controls, reported significantly higher scores on the Total Drug Use and Total Alcohol Use .

Nice find... i actualy think the reason i started smoking is because dare informed me of it so i went looking for it in 8th grade.