Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does coughing get you higher?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by prettyslick, Oct 5, 2011.

1. It's a simple question... but there seems to be a lot of arguments for either side. Does anyone know the truth? From what I've heard, it seems that while coughing you open up your lungs to allow more smoke in (easiest and vaguest way to put it) but the other argument is that its not getting you high it is killing brain cells, which feels better while you're high. Obviously I'm a noob, but I don't want to be a noob for long. Peace.

2. I don't see how it could actually get you HIGHER. Most people feel a lightheadedness from lack of oxygen when coughing hard, which they think is getting them higher.

3. No lol thats like my friend saying smoking weed helps to fertilize the earth in the third world because all the moisture making clouds and rain

4. Yeah, I don't even know if there's a definitive answer either. I'm new, but I feel like I know how to smoke. With that being said I still cough on about 1/3 of my hits, I guess that's good because I'm taking big hits but I don't know. I never thought like yeah I gotta cough because it's going to increase my high. But that's just me.

5. My brain shouldn't be in a cell, freeing it seems the right thing.

6. I'm not doctor or scientist, but when you cough the blood rushes to your head.

Perhaps that aids in getting you high quicker and not necessarily higher.

7. Generally you cough more on bigger rips, I think it's the bigger rips getting you higher not the coughing.

8. hell yeah

9. dude that's exactly what I thought..... it's a correlation. You get higher when you cough because you take bigger rips. The opening up your lungs theory is a bunch of bullshit in my opinion. You cough to get rid of the smoke, not let it in more. If the lungs inhaled more while coughing we probably wouldn't survive long.

10. I've heard this rumor before but i'm not sure if it's actually true.
    I don't think coughing would necessarily get you higher by "opening your lungs to get more smoke in" since you would technically be exhaling the smoke. It doesn't seem logical to me that you would get more exposure while exhaling.
    On the other hand, killing brain cells?? I hope not, but if so, well... dammit

11. the lack of oxygen going to your head can cause you to get this "higher" feeling. Which is why i do it all the time :smoke:

12. what kind of question is this? -__-

13. The lack of oxygen isn't getting you higher, its giving your brain damage.......

14. That's a risk my brain is willing to take

15. Yeah as you can see I'm not good at asking questions. And I ask a lot of them.

16. No it doesn't. It matters how deep you inhale the smoke or vapor. After I take a hit I make a kiss face, then inhale deep. It doesn't matter how long your lungs are exposed to smoke/vapor, it matters how much surface area it covers.

17. I heard from people coughing opens your lungs allowing more surface area for thc...
    But who knows

18. Nah, people just think this because they cough from big hits. Big hits get you higher, not couging.

19. When you are hitting your piece try to keep your throat open as if you are yawning and when finished with hit inhale as DEEP as you can.

20. My friend says that it gets you higher because when you cough it knocks the resin off the walls of your lungs which gets you high...

Uhhh... Not sure what to think.