Does cooling the smoke really matter that much?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by PackersFTW, Sep 11, 2011.

1. I smoke out of nothing but bongs, so not like I'm new to them, but I always thought the reason it's less harsh is from more of the crap being filtered out.

But I keep reading all this stuff about cooling the smoke more through percolators etc. Unless you're talking about a small metal pipe, I don't see how it matters enough to talk about difference between an 18 inch bong with no ash catcher or percolator, and then one with both of those; it will already be cool enough.

Smoke isn't that hot coming out of any respectable size bong, so what's with all these extra filtration features talking about cooling it more? Anybody agree?

2. I was the same way, then I took a hit out of my friends Luke Wilson 15arm bubbler and it blew my mind with how smooth it was.

3. I think perc's/ashcatcher's make it a lot smoother. Also I've smoke bongs that are harsh as shit so smoke temp must be different from piece to piece.

4. There's no argument that more filtration makes it smoother, I'm just saying it's not due to cooler smoke.

5. I agree. I think its not as much about the temp, but how well it is filtered before it hits your lungs. For example, a well diffused DWB piece will blow the socks off of a basic RooR tube with downstem. There are more areas (holes) for the smoke to travel through water, even if its a single body of water. Which is what makes the difference. Its not the size or amount of percs/filtration, but how well those percs are filtering/diffusing the smoke. Although, the more diffusion you have, the more surface area the smoke has to cool down as well, therefore producing a smoother hit.

6. Right.

7. The cooler the toke, the smoother it will feel on your lungs. Thats why some ppl put ice in their bongs or have ice chambers

8. Meh. I don't buy that. Yea the smoke is cooler but its still harsh when it hits your lungs. After all, you are inhaling smoke into your lungs. Ice/no ice makes little difference in my vast experiences lol.

9. People also put hot water in there too, which makes it a smoother hit, so cold doesn't do that. The argument behind cold is that it condenses the smoke, so you get more per volume. But there's a bunch of complex scientific stuff I just read on how cold makes it a harsher hit.

10. You're right. The percs filter, their point isn't to cool to the smoke.

Three things determine how easy a hit is to take.

Smoothness/roughness of smoke (how filtered)
    Volume of smoke
    Temp of smoke.

Filtration will effect the temp of smoke, but that isn't its noticeable purpose

11. How does passing hot gas through water colder than itself not cool the smoke? I'm not saying anything about cold vs hot, but percs cool the smoke 100% no argument as long as the water is a lower temperature than the smoke. It's a simple heat transfer, albeit short lived.

To add to that, the better the percolation the smaller and more numerous the bubbles are, increasing the surface area of smoke to water contact, increasing the filtration and cooling effect.

Although in some cases with low water levels/ hot water/ poor percolation the cooling effect can be negligible, your statement does not make sense because a perc cools the smoke in the same manner it filters it, through contact with water.

Cliffs: when hot smoke touches water some heat will transfer from the smoke to the water.

12. Your wrong bro
    The reason percs and ash catchers cool the smoke more is because the smoke is getting broke up more than normal and is being exposed to the water more.

13. Correct

14. ah but even when not using a perc and just using an ice catcher the hits are smoother. not nearly as smooth as with a prec but def much easier to hit. a friend of mine has this 3ft ice catcher that we fill with chopped ice, it's fucking amazing. the ice is so cold when the smoke hits ur lungs its almost refreshing. i currently dont own a bong, but when i get one it'll def have ice notches.

15. I'm pretty sure his argument is this:

Filtration>Cooling effect

16. I want you to do this, take some luke warm water and take a hit.. then take a bong with ice and take a hit, or just cold water..the FACT of the matter is the warm moisture causes your lungs to expand more then cold, you actually get a larger draw and are able to take more smoke in when the water is warm.

When its cold the cold air contracts your lungs.. think about how you can breathe on a warm sunny day, vs how it can be felt deep in your lungs when it is cold out..

Its interesting, that said nothing beats a great perc.

17. Percs cool the smoke through the water sure, but this isn't their main purpose nor the main reason you get a smoother hit.

Ill often put warm to hot water in my bong. -shrug-

18. Who said it doesn't cool the smoke? Obviously the smoke will be warmer than cold water regardless, thus it cools it. What I'm saying is that through a single stage regular ass large bong, the smoke will be cooled enough, so cooling it even more with more stages is pointless as far as temperature goes. If the smoke isn't hot enough to cause discomfort, what's the point in cooling it more? In fact, from what I read, if you cool it a lot, the hit will be harsher. But that's a topic for another thread.

19. #20 PackersFTW, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
    Again, there is no argument that it's cooling the smoke.

I'm arguing that when I read "a percolator cools the smoke even further", or anything like that, it's bogus. Is it cooling it further? Technically, yes. Is it making the hit easier due to this cooling? No, because it's already not hot enough to hurt.

Go touch your hand on something like your TV that's warm. Does it hurt? Not at all, just feels warm. OK now go touch your hand on something room temperature. Does it hurt? Not at all. No difference in pain. That is the whole point here, the difference in temperature doesn't matter, as long as it's not hot enough to hurt. Any bong will make it so the smoke doesn't hurt from HEAT. That is my point.

And if anybody is still thinking that it definitely is smoother with more filtration, well then you completely missed what I'm saying, because I'm not arguing against that.