Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does chewing stems get you high?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Klipp, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I was talking to my friend the other day and he said that he likes to chew his stems (I do too sometimes) and that he can actually feel a buzz after chewing a few.

I'm chewing one right now, not too sure if i feel any different.

Do they get you high or give you a buzz or whatever?

2. No they do not.

3. Stems have about 1/1000 the THC content of the buds. You'd need to chew a lot of stems to get any sort of real high out of it.

4. I don't know if they do or not, but when breaking down bud or rolling/packing something I enjoy chewing on stems. It gives me a buzz in the sense that I know I'm going to toke soon so its placebo in my opinion. By no means would I chew stems just to do it.

5. No. that's just nasty IMO.

6. anyone like to chew em while smoking?

7. Kind of. I like to have them in my Redman dip. I take a little bit of bud and my ground up stems and then pick out a few redman leaves to roll it up in. Pretty tasty.

8. I don't think it actually gets you high man. You'd have to chew a shit tonne to feel anything. Perhaps simply a placebo effect your friend is feeling?

9. Assuming it takes, say, a gram of dank to get you high, you'd need to eat almost a kilo of stems to achieve the same effect (that's well over 2 pounds).

10. it takes like .1-.2 of dank to get me high

11. So then you'd need to chew roughly half a pound of stems. Still not a very attractive proposal.

12. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

13. That was my 274th post! :hello:

14. Well, it's closer to a ratio of " 1 : 4 - 6 " (varying, depending on the potency and glandular content of the bud), than " 1 : 1000 " :) But yes, you would need to consume more, and more importantly you need to consume their potency properly in an oil, or tincture, in order to feel the effects.

You can make fairly decent canna oil using stems alone, and even better, they contain less chlorophyll and wax, versus leaf and even bud, which makes your stems a source from which it is even easier to attain a more 'pure', or unadulterated oil.

Hope this helps :)

15. put em in your butt. anal glands absorbs the thc 200x and you get high for hours.

16. Is it? I've seen the 1:1000 number thrown around a few times, never bothered to delve too deeply into it. I know leaves are in the 1:5-1:10 range, though, and they make decent hash as a result.

Also, if you use butane extraction, you can get pretty pure oil from the entire plant, not just the stem. You don't get a really impure extraction unless you grind it up and run it again, then you'll get a lot of chlorophyll and such.

17. We were discussing edible oil, and edible extracts (at least those were the forms I mentioned), but yes, with butane it's very commonly known that extractions can be quite 'pure', from all portions of the plant.

Leaves are closer to 1 : 3, but it varies depending how frosty the flowers are. It may surprise you to know that if the bud itself is not very 'crystally', the leaves adjacent to the buds can be surprisingly close, or almost equal, in cannabinoid content. It's the 'overflow' that begins to skew the ratio more-greatly. Same goes for the stems. The more frosty the bud, the more that ratio (versus less-coated portions of the plant) begins to increase.

Large fan leaves have a lower content than the bud-adjacent, single-bladed leaves, somewhat closer to the content of the stems. And the large woody stalks, from which branches protrude, have a much lower cannabinoid content. And finally, the root system is the last place you'd want to go, to try and squeeze what little potency is left out of your plant. :)

18. *Files knowledge away*

Thanks for correcting me - I always love learning, regardless of the topic, really. I'm an information junkie. I can't imagine how I'd live without the internet.

19. [quote name='"Klipp"']anyone like to chew em while smoking?[/quote]

You don't understand, nothing happens when you eat straight stems. You could try making firecrackers with them, but...well fuck that.

20. Just take a 1ltr bottle of vodka and all of ur stems put in vodka store it in the closet or darkest place for acouple months, keep adding stems as u go.. then reap the benefits.. taste crazy and fucks u up