Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does Cannabis use lead to gaining or losing weight long term?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kannabosm, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Does cannabis smoking, over time lead to overall gaining or losing weight? I ask because I have noticed I have, over the last year of much increases weed, I eat less and have lost weight. Not much appetite. Then I ran into one of best friends from hs at our 40th reunion. He said he noticed the same with himself.
    Just asking. k

2. I've noticed that when you get high you do get the "munchies" and all food will taste better and I can eat more HOWEVER it is a lot easier to not be hungry as well!!

When I'm high I can easily ignore being hungry and completely not notice it until I actively go to eat, at which point it will all kick in lmao
    My old roommate was on a diet and he would smoke to make it easier for him to forget that he would be hungry. He would only eat like a protein bar and some salad or something for dinner and then smoke so he could forget about it until bed and not eat anymore!

I'm sure that doesn't go for everyone but I've noticed it to be true!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Probably depends on the individual. I have 1 buddy that could empty out a grocery store junk food section when hes high. I on the other hand tend not to snack much when high. If I do its usually fruit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think strains have a lot to do with it. Indicas tend to give me the munchies while CBD and sativas don't:confused_2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I use to get the munchies first few months of using now I have a decreased appetite and I crave foods that are good for ya not junk food but, I won’t turn away from a bag of jalapeño cheddar Cheetos . 236 pounds when I first started using 4 years ago I’m 204 now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. No. You are experiencing Cannabis' overall effect on your endocannabanoid system. All other things being equal and positive in terms of your internal biome, the body will naturally maintain an optimum BMI. Obesity, eating disorders and related maladies may be associated with damaged or inefficient endocannabanoid metabolism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. I wish it took away my appetite. I wish it made me forget to eat.
    I get the munchies as soon as I start smoking and have to eat something sweet and yes it's caused me to gain weight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. THCV strains reduce appetite more than others... the Varin types... not sure which types make for hunger but the indicas most likely

9. At first when I started back after a 12 year break, MUNCHIES! MUST have need sweets,,,,,need water and sweets ect ect. I gained about 5-6 pounds. But after 3 year of 1-2gm daily I noticed that I was now losing weight, had little interest in food and no longer could stand the smell of pork cooking (anything greasy smelling), all of a sudden I craved healthy foods & not much of them. I noticed I no longer ordered the fries with the burger. Then I had to cut the burger in half and bring 1/2 of it home as I was stuffed. I am glad to read that I am not the only one. Best of luck, k

10. @Kannaborn, you are probably in the majority and reflect my experience as well. I imagine the researchers are eventually going find something like only the neurotypical are the bad experience candidates - excessive tolerance, anxiety/panic attacks, whathaveyou. Everybody else has an endocannabanoid system that needs help of some sort with mostly physical (sometimes psychological?) imbalance ranging from the trivial to clinically acute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. #12 CrazyLettuce, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    I lose weight. It also make my weight stay at 180. It definitely suppresses my apatite. If i eat all day ill gain some weight, but within a week ill be back to 180.

I had an obese uncle, diabetic. He started smoking after two years of smoking, he stopped drinking soda (yes while diabetic) he started exercising and not eating as much. Last i heard he was 260lbs.
    I say had because he way thinner and healthier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I'm not a daily smoker like most on this board that tend to be hard core regular users. I may smoke a day or 3 with average 2 days of just afternoon sessions and then tolerance break 3 days to a week with 5 days about average. Today Wednesday is t-break day 4 and I expect to smoke again Friday and or Saturday.

IMO most serious studies on "the munchies" have been looking in the wrong place expecting something is causing people to be hungrier. Actually it is rather simple. People get munchies because their brain remembers how wonderfully strong food tastes especially after one starts eating something. In other words, if one smokes weed and then is focused on whatever non eating activity for say an hour, one is not actually hungry during that period. It is only upon eating something or thinking about eating something that the sensual awareness becomes compulsive. Once I start eating after smoking if at home, am likely to consume most of every sweet, salty, and greasy thing in the fridge and cupboards. I'm a senior 5'6" 132# BMI 21 and have never had an overweight problem as have lived an active life smoking only occasionally over decades. When high am not the couch type but rather up on my feet usually outdoors.

Sometimes I may have a light lunch at noon and then at 1pm start a short smoking session after say a 5 day t-break. Many times I may not eat anything while totally occupied with whatever until about 5pm when my body normally expects dinner is approaching. Smoking causes one's neuronal synaptic gaps to flood with excessive cannibinoid neurotransmitters that is similar to neurotransmitter flooding by other hallucinogenic and stimulant drugs and causes increased sensual sensitivity and awareness.

Some of that is in parts of the brain for our sense of taste, smell, and gastrointestinal tract that feels good from eating. But after the effects wear off, the body will take several days to replenish the neurotransmitters at those same nerve sites that are then in a depleted "mellow" mode. Thus for several hours one may eat a whole lot because it is so enjoyable but afterward one's whole gastrointestinal tract is depressed with a sub normal level appetite. In fact I dislike how my stomach distinctively feels weird the next morning. On the second morning after stopping smoking that unpleasant stomach feeling is lower and appetite improved. Likewise less negative on day 3 and hardly noticeable on day 4 as levels again return to near normal balance.

If one just continues to smoke daily, appetite will be strong for a few hours while smoking and continue so as long as one keeps smoking. After a night of sleep without smoking, one will feel cruddy with a poor appetite until smoking again that will boost sensual sensitivity at least for a few hours. But continuing to do so will at some point lead to just being mellow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #14 Acewiza, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    I'm not sure about the point of that last post, hardrokker. Are you saying this is the metabolic process at work for anybody that might have similar consumption habits and physiology as you?

Because it's coming off to me like you are saying this is how weed works if you do this and that these are the results and effects you can expect, which is of course, absolutely false.

14. i have smoked pot for nearly 50 years. i was in the 170's in my 20's, 190's in my 30's up to about 220 by 40. when i was ~42 i dropped back to the low 180's and by 50 i was back to around 200. by 55 i was gaining back and hit 220 again when i was in my early 60's. now at 66 i'm back to my college weight of 165 lbs.

off hand i'd say there are so many other factors in weight gain or loss, smoking pot has had little to do with my weight over time.

• Agree Agree x 3