Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

does bud thin your blood?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by gunsforgrass, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ok i have surgery for my sinus's and my mom just told me that she said bud thins your blood. and not to smoke it till after your surgery but she also says a bunch of other crap like killing brain cells and its addictive and all that propaganda crap.

so do you know if it does?

2. i think it does lower blood pressure, but i'm not sure...

3. It fucks with your blood pressure, but It doesn't thin your blood. I think aspirin thins your blood.

4. well i mean im not gonna smoke on the day so after your high doesn't the blood pressure go back to normal? so it wouldn't matter right until i go into surgery? correct me if im wrong please

5. idk
    but either way, if you smoke before or after the surgery, you'll be fine.

6. a glass of wine thins your blood not weed.

7. do u wanna have a low or high blood pressure
    i apoligize seems like a stupid question

8. no im just not suppose to do anything to thin it cause it may cause more bleeding from my nose thats all.

9. I just tested it this morning. I am an anxious person and I have some really good sativa so keep these facts in mind.

Before the smoke 115/62 pulse rate 86 bpm.

right after the bowl 98/80 pulse rate 130 bpm.

15 minutes later it was 105/68 pulse rate 98 bpm...

Pot is a vasodialator meaning it relaxes blood vessels. Consequently due to the smoke and the lowered blood pressure , your heart has to work harder to pump the same amount of blood, thus higer pulse rate.

So in all Pot=lower blood pressure=higher pulse rate.

10. im not sure if it does, ive never heard anything about it but it does increase pulse and blood pressure, and im sorry but that post was really stupid, even if you were 99 percent positive it wouldnt do anything couldnt you at least quit for like 2 days for your surgery? you cant ever be too safe, i wouldnt want to go get high as fuck before surgery its like common sense

11. Weed thins blood. I had a flu shot a few years ago and the nurse asked me if I was taking
    blood thinners because I was bleeding so much. So I came home and did some online
    research, i.e. google, and one of the sites I found said that cannabis is a known blood
    thinner. Sorry I don't have the web address to give you, but it's been a few years and my
    memory isn't that good.

12. as long as you dont smoke before the surgery youre fine dude

13. I'm in almost the same situation. Except I've been smoking K2 and have a tonselectomy comming up. (removing my tonsils) I was told not to take Asprin, or any blood thinners for 2 weeks. I know after I won't want to smoke, and I smoked a little durring the 2 weeks... I'm nervous.

By the way, Pot's effects byond the buzz last until it is out of the system. I'm not sure as to if it thins your blood, but I do like that guy's blood pressure study. A+!

14. I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine unless you had a lot to smoke right before surgery. My blood pressure and pulse go back to normal when the last dose wears off. I haven't noticed any residual low blood pressure. The same is likely to be true with blood thinning. It might last a day or two if you had a lot, but with a few smokes in the couple weeks it shouldn't be noticeable.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you're going to cough like hell if the surgery requires intubation and you are a heavy smoker. The breathing tubes will irritate your throat more, and you're a lot more likely to cough and have a raw throat for a couple days.

15. No cannabis in no way thin your blood. It may effect heart rate ever so slightly but will not thin your blood. And it will not kill brain cells, or cause cancer, or make you go to harder drugs, or commite crimes, or cause sexual "excess" (whatever that is) or de-motivate you, or cause personality disorders.

Edit: It's called reefer madness people, anything the gov. can say to scare you they will.

16. Try this link. Anticoagulant effects of a Cannabis extract in... [Phytomedicine. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
    I came across this study there
    Anticoagulant effects of a Cannabis extract in an obese rat model.

Coetzee C, Levendal RA, van de Venter M, Frost CL.
    Source

Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, PO Box 77000, Port Elizabeth 6031, South Africa.

Abstract

Blood coagulation studies were conducted to determine the possible anti-/prothrombotic effect of an organic cannabis extract and the three major cannabinoids, THC, CBD and CBN. The in vitro effect of the cannabis extract on thrombin activity produced an IC50 value of 9.89 mg/ml, compared to THC at 1.79 mg/ml. It was also found that the extract, THC and CBN showed considerable inhibition of thrombin-induced clot formation in vitro with IC50 values of 600, 87 and 83 microg/ml for the extract, THC and CBN respectively. In an in vivo model used to determine clotting times of lean and obese rats treated with a cannabis extract, 50% clotting times were found to be 1.5 and 2 fold greater than their respective control groups, supporting the results obtained in the in vitro model. The study thus shows that Cannabis sativa and the cannabinoids, THC and CBN, display anticoagulant activity and may be useful in the treatment of diseases such as type 2 diabetes in which a hypercoagulable state exists.

PMID:16644197 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]