Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does bud increase your metabolism

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Capnfalconpunch, Apr 10, 2012.

1. So I went to the doc today, and it turns out I've lost 15-20 pounds over the past year, without trying. Then I realized, I started smoking about a year ago, and before that my weight had been pretty constant. So I'm wondering if there are any studies that report this

2. There haven't been any studies done as far as I could find but I know a lot of people have experienced what you have, myself included. I think it has to do with eating a lot during the munchies and maybe having a loss of appetite when your sober, to make up for eating a lot when you're high. And, in my opinion, I think some people spend a lot of time smoking and doing weed related things that they would otherwise spend eating because they have nothing else to do. But I'm not sure about it boosting metabolism, maybe, because it causes increased heart rate. They should do a legitimate study, like have a person go a month without smoking but eat and work out a set amount and then they go another month but they smoke everyday and eat the same amount as before and see what happens.

3. I started smoking daily about a year an a half ago... Gained a solid 60lbs. Everyone's different.

4. It stablizes blood sugar which can result in weight loss. Check out Granny's list. She has some links there that explain it better than I could. I'm prone to easily gain weight, and my medications don't help, but I've found that cannabis has helped me a lot with keeping my weight stable.

5. ^ stabilizes blood sugar which can result in weight loss. thanks for the info!!

6. I mean yes if you can resist the munchies..

7. IF you were overweight or even slightly, it can help reduce your weight(no idea how, or like pearl75 said, it helps stabilize blood sugars). However, if you were underweight cannabis can actually put on pounds for you(by munching the fuck outt of course haha)

8. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

9. they should have tested this in the movie "Super High Me"

10. eh did you just make that up off the top of your head? any evidence to back that? I mean about 3 weeks ago (right about the time I started smoking again) I was 6'6, 250, and now i'm 6'6, 260! I was like woah wtf? I have been eating more because of the munchies. That's the most weight i've ever put on in such a short time. needless to say I just started eating much less, and heating healthier again. When you have the munchies it's so easy to just eat a bunch of chips and play xbox. Eating the RIGHT munchy food can go a long way.

11. I know I get lots of energy after I get high the first 25 mins.
    And being outside intensifies that sh*t :smoking::smoking::smoking:

12. YES! It has a direct effect on our endocannabinoid system, which among many other important functions, plays a crucial role in maintaining our metabolism.

You've probably already noticed the munchies. :)

But where healthy cannabis-use helps regulate our endocannabinoid system, rather than simply speeding up, or slowing metabolism down, it helps maintain a healthy metabolism in those who suffer from both obesity, and various wasting-syndromes!

It encourages the right cravings, and later on, once your body acclimates to those cravings it can discourage unhealthy eating habits as well... although at first, as a new smoker, all you may crave is sugar and fatty foods as your body adjusts to the new sensations ( :p ).
    But once you stabilize and your cannabis use becomes more regular and supplementary to your normal activities, it has been found to encourage healthier eating habits and more active behavior. This is why it can be good for both putting on, and taking off weight when needed. :hello:

Of course, it can't do it alone if all you choose to do is sit around all day eating McDonalds. :p

Unfortunately, there are many conflicting studies and surveys... some surveys say it 'invariably' causes weight gain, others (mostly those studies which monitor patients and users in the long-term) insist that it does otherwise, and promotes a healthier BMI in both the once-obese and the underweight. Again, as human beings we do have free-will, and the ability to make poor dietary choices. :eek:

That's the short version, the below should provide more insight, and a few different opinions and findings.... google 'endocannabinoid system metabolism' for more info. :)

"The recent identification of cannabinoid receptors and their endogenous lipid ligands has triggered an exponential growth of studies exploring the endocannabinoid system and its regulatory functions in health and disease. Such studies have been greatly facilitated by the introduction of selective cannabinoid receptor antagonists and inhibitors of endocannabinoid metabolism and transport, as well as mice deficient in cannabinoid receptors or the endocannabinoid-degrading enzyme fatty acid amidohydrolase. In the past decade, the endocannabinoid system has been implicated in a growing number of physiological functions, both in the central and peripheral nervous systems and in peripheral organs.

More importantly, modulating the activity of the endocannabinoid system turned out to hold therapeutic promise in a wide range of disparate diseases and pathological conditions, ranging from mood and anxiety disorders, movement disorders such as Parkinson’s and Huntington’s disease, neuropathic pain, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury, to cancer, atherosclerosis, myocardial infarction, stroke, hypertension, glaucoma, obesity/metabolic syndrome, and osteoporosis, to name just a few." - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2241751/

"Many different regulatory actions have been attributed to endocannabinoids, and their involvement in several pathophysiological conditions is under intense scrutiny. Cannabinoid receptors [cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) and CB2] participate in the physiological modulation of many central and peripheral functions. The ability of the endocannabinoid system to control appetite, food intake and energy balance has recently received considerable attention, particularly in the light of the different modes of action underlying these functions. The endocannabinoid system modulates rewarding properties of food by acting at specific mesolimbic areas in the brain. In the hypothalamus, CB1 receptors and endocannabinoids are integrated components of the networks controlling appetite and food intake. Interestingly, the endocannabinoid system was recently shown to control several metabolic functions by acting on peripheral tissues such as adipocytes, hepatocytes, the gastrointestinal tract, the skeletal muscles and the endocrine pancreas. The relevance of the system is further strengthened by the notion that visceral obesity seems to be a condition in which an overactivation of the endocannabinoid system occurs, and therefore drugs interfering with this overactivation by blocking CB1 receptors are considered as potentially valuable candidates for the treatment of obesity and related cardiometabolic risk factors." - The Endocannabinoid System and Energy Metabolism - Bellocchio - 2008 - Journal of Neuroendocrinology - Wiley Online Library

"Endocannabinoids (ECs) regulate energy balance by modulating hypothalamic circuits controlling food intake and energy expenditure. However, convincing evidence has accumulated indicating that the EC system is present also in peripheral tissues, in particular in adipose tissue. Fat cells produce and are targets of ECs. Glucose uptake and lipoprotein lipase (LPL) activity, lipogenesis and adipogenesis are stimulated by ECs through cannabinoid 1 (CB1) receptors. Moreover, CB1 activation leads to a decreased mitochondrial biogenesis and function through inhibition of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS). All these effects are blocked by the CB1 antagonist rimonabant, suggesting that the weight-reducing effect of CB1 blockade is due not only to the transient suppression of food intake and reduction of lipogenesis but also to an increased mitochondrial biogenesis and oxidative metabolism which counteracts the inhibitory effects of ECs, levels of which are increased in fat tissues of obese rodents and humans. This review focuses on the role of ECs in adipose tissue metabolism, adipokine production, and interactions between ECs and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) during adipogenesis." - The role of the endocan... [Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

13. If you don't eat a shit ton of food because of munchies, and just eat as much as you would if you haven't smoked at all, then yes, it does, but if you give in and eat everything in sight, then no.

You might even gain some weight if you can't resist the munchies at all lol

14. I'm gonna get the munchies like a motherfucker and eat healthy, that way i'm just intaking a ton of healthy food. I swear i'll make like 10 fruit smoothies and devour them all.

15. I was really disappointed with that movie lol. Really wasn't that great imo.

16. It was funny though.

17. lol if you eat that much you are still going to gain weight

18. nah. fruit> normal munchies like cookies, chips, pizza, etc.

19. I'm no doctor but It helps me allot in high school wrestling to drop weight as long as I ate healthy munchies such as fruit. It also raises your heart rate, and your heart is a muscle and it takes more calories to beat faster. Skateboarding and weed are a good mix, It makes my high more fun and helps prevent the sleepy after high I get if I just sit around and smoke.

20. Yea, it could be the weed. Here is how I lose weight with cannabis
    1) Smoke cannabis
    2) Make sure nothing but fruits and vegetables are in the fridge. LOCK ALL SNACKS IN PANTRY.
    3) you will be forced to eat fruits and vegetables
    4) Lose weight??