Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does anyone use weed sometime to help when their depressed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Vdubstoner, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Just wondering cuz the past couple of weeks I have been really down in the dumps. I just moved to a new area with me girlfriend and don't know a single person. Just gets really depressing sometimes. How does weed work for you when ur down?

2. Yes, Multiple times.

Im pretty sure its normal... if your a smoker.

3. I think there's different levels of depression and on some of those levels weed will actually make it worse.

There's chronic depression then there is like "what a shitty day at work depression" or a bad case of the Mondays depression.

4. i do believe the scientific term is mondayitis.

5. I agree with Philosiraptor. If its clinical depression I'd stay away from weed. If you've got some downtime in a new area without much to do? Shit man, why wouldn't you be smoking a little bud?

If I'm feeling really down smoking weed just makes it worse. If I'm just having a rough day or a boring day weed can make you just sit and think, which always help me

6. ye man i always toke when im depressed...apart from cheering me up for a couple of hours i find it helps me realise what has me feeling that way in the first place and teaches me how to deal with it and what i can do to learn from it and become a better and stronger person

7. [quote name='"fatasspete"']ye man i always toke when im depressed...apart from cheering me up for a couple of hours i find it helps me realise what has me feeling that way in the first place and teaches me how to deal with it and what i can do to learn from it and become a better and stronger person[/quote]

I find that weed does the same to me. I wouldn't say it cures it but i am able to think about what is causing it. Something that I can't do when sober

8. it does help, but smoking too much can make it worse. just smoke enough to be high. dont go and get stoned out of your mind.

9. Its the only anti depressant I will use. I got a pretty shitty situation right now, and weed helps me deal with it. It used to make me more depressed, but now it just helps me deal with depression.

10. I use MMJ for depression and this is what I've learned:
    (this is purely personal experience)
    - smoking 3+ times daily leads to constant low-grade depression
    - smoking Sativa for depression works amazingly well
    - smoking Indica doesn't help my depression and might make it worse
    - it's all about finding that right balance of tolerance and strains that help you

11. Yes always! I'm generally a very happy person but when my monthly comes around I just get emotional and depressed for no good reason. I have a bowl and I'm back to normal laughing again. :smoke:

12. Yeah. It's one of the things you can get a recommendation for in many medical states. Personally, I've been through some pretty severe depression when I was younger (I was suicidal and a self harmer), thank god I've grown out of the worst symptoms.

I still have some bad lingering night time anxiety though, and weed definitely helps with that. When I toke up, I can sleep, usually. When I don't I only tend to get about 4 hrs of sleep a night. I tried all sorts of medications for it. A few of them really fucked me up, and brought back my depression ten fold. Some of them made me sleep sometimes, but I always woke up extremely tired. So eventually I just said fuck it.

13. Yes. Weed is really the only thing that makes me happy anymore.

14. Isn't weed a deppresent?

15. I don't know about you, but weed doesn't make me depressed. No matter it's "narcotic classification".

16. I'm new here, been lurking for awhile and this thread seems like a good place to start.

I've been battling depression for half of my life and I've been on countless medications and I'm still on two different kinds now which don't do anything really.

I actually started smoking a few months ago and I find it takes the edge off and stabilizes my mood. Unfortunately it's not readily available to me and I could seriously use some now.

I'm not sure what kinds of strains I smoked, I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject, but everything I tried helped. I'm sure its different with every person.

17. I don't know about depression, but it sure brings me up when I'm down.

18. Technically yes, but depressant doesn't mean it makes you depressed. It simply means that it has the physiological affect of slowing down your motor and brain functions, in general.

Depressants don't necessarily make you depressed, just like stimulants don't necessarily make you happy. Ya dig?

19. [quote name='"nascarfan"']

Technically yes, but depressant doesn't mean it makes you depressed. It simply means that it has the physiological affect of slowing down your motor and brain functions, in general.

Depressants don't necessarily make you depressed, just like stimulants don't necessarily make you happy. Ya dig?[/quote]

I beg to differ, at least with alcohol I have seen and experienced depression from alcohol "after" the act of drinking was done.

With weed not so much but when I used to smoke all day for a whole year I felt "down" most of the time. Not deppresed, but down so honestly I think if you already have depression or can easily get deppresed then I feel it would make depression worse..at least when your not high.

20. Weed makes me super happy. I am a happier guy cause of it :)