Does anyone use hps & led combined in there grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sacha_dune, May 14, 2017.

1. hi

As the question states looking for some advice/feedback on using hps & led together...size of room and what lights you use....anyone do this in uk? Wondering how to best keep temps down etc.....pros & cons

Thanks

2. A good extractor fan is how you keep it cool and yes a few people here do this

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  3. Was just wanting to get some actual growers feedback that's all and find out what sort of setup they have

4. Man.. That was such a broad question with such lack of details to help...

HPS and LED is a sick combo. You can use the HPS as the main thing, and use LED as side lighting you will get a good wombo combo from it. But no one can possible answer the rest of your very broad question but with a broad answer.

IE, exhaust, ac, fan.. Tell more about your set up, budget and what you have in mind.

• Like Like x 2
  5. It's probably so broad because I'm a newbie.......I was really wanting to hear about growers experience of using the 2 together.

I'm half way through my first grow and started out with mars hydro 600w led in tent 1m x1m x2m growing just 2 plants. I have a 4inch fan/filter and a fan circulating the air. Temps and humidity good.....I then decided that I could easily fit 2 more plants in my grow space but felt I need to get another light so purchased a hps thinking that the 2 together would be a fab combo.......

• Like Like x 2
  6. i have used led and hps combo . but your looking for people in the uk to answer .

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Oh crap SD...another 100 page thread...you do have a knack..LOL...

8. Yep I do like opening a can of worms lol but it makes life interesting.....you don't know if you don't ask he he he

9. Would value anyone's input x

10. Ya Know SD..come to think of it...we have never seen pictures of your grow, or am I mistaken..? :smoking-banana:

11. I do have a grow journal and there are pics of the babies on there

First grow....cherry bomb & purple kush!

Not sure if you can see my setup but it's hard to get a full pic as it pretty much fills the space it's in lol....any questions just ask....

12. Yeah but that is like seeing your Baby Pictures...want to see the girls grown up I do!! :)

13. well I use 600watt Morsen COB LED and a t5HO with power flower bulbs in them, so close?? lol. LED won't put off much heat at all, the biggest drawback is the distance from the top. You have to keep it 18-24 inches above the canopy or it will burn the plants. I burnt my first plant and was pissed at myself for it. Its tough because the t5 light you can put right on top of the canopy.
    So yes, you would definitely have to get a hood or something for that HPS light and move air out of there.
    I use 2 tents that are 4'x4'x6.5'. I flower in one, veg in the other, and have a home made cloning station with its own heat lamp. The t5 lights don't give out any heat at all, and barely use any power. YOu can get some killer bud from t5's as well, but it wouldn't be nearly as hard and tight as a nug under HPS. So thats the real question you need to ask. You can still get great yield from a t5 fixtures and there are several highly successful growers on this site using only t5's. With my combo I do have an exhaust setup using a big carbon filter and an inline fan, but that is more for scent control than actual temp control as I have no need to worry about temps with my setup.
    The tents are also really cheap if you were thinking about going that route I would highly recommend them! You can't smell anything until you unzip it, and you can run your lights on or off whenever you want since its closed off.

Hope that helps a little bit, I'm from the states, not the UK, but I know there are several good UK growers on here that use tents, ect.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Never heard of t5s before....I already have a tent....it's 1mx1mx2m...

15. So do I but they are only 33 days old lol

20170514_151042.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. VERY NICE SD...nice indeed...will be watching for sure...Following you now:)

PS,,You will be needing larger pots..may I suggest Fabric pots...makes things so easy!

17. Do you think larger? These are 30.5 cm 12in and as they are autos it's best having them in the final pots? Next size up is 15in and look massive in the shop lol

18. Forgot you are doing autos...better to leave them be..Next time maybe try some Photos for larger yields and the ability to take clones
    Fabric pots have the advantage of being VERY hard to over water in + roots will air prune themselves preventing any root bound plants..
    Interesting read for you!
    Smart Pots Vs Plastic Pots vs Air Pots - The Pros and Cons

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I've already decided on trying photos next.....to compare. Will have a look at the pots....

Was looking at cloning and revegging. Find it all so interesting and so much to learn

20. That was an interesting read..what size pots do u use?