does anyone of ya follow the sco ibm case over linux ? ...

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Gri77oN, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this is a cut n paste from:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/26/1723212
    i couldn\'t stop laughing when i read it..

Re:umm.. dont they have the source code? (Score:5, Insightful)
    by kfg (145172) on Sunday October 26, @01:09PM (#7314240)
    Actually their claim is more targeted than that.

They claim specific rights to JFS as a derivitive work of UNIX, (which is like saying that your HKK turbocharger is a \"derivitive work\" of your Ford Mustang)and to a Linux SMP implementation.

Everything else that they claim to have claimed has actually been press release FUD. (See Jargon File)

The JFS claim rests entirely on the terms of contract and the legal definition of derivative works. No need to even look at the code since it is stipulated that IBM wrote the whole thing themselves.

The SMP claim depends upon the code in a very particular bit of code which may, but does not need to be, implemented in any particular Linux kernel.

This filing by SCO amounts to more FUD. I can\'t imagine it\'s going to fly. To make a claim you must provide evidence for that claim or go home. Defendant then defends against that evidence. If it isn\'t introduced as evidence, not need to defend. A claim is not evidence.

They\'re not only smoking, they\'re eating random mushrooms at the same time and the judege should throw their tripping asses out of court until they come back clean and straight.

KFG

--------------------

mouhahahaha

lol

2. uhh ? ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.