Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does anyone know if THCA is lipophilic?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by M6809, Nov 23, 2012.

1. I was looking around on Wikipedia about THCA and decarbing, and it turns out THCA is very beneficial to the mind - protecting against diseases that affect the spine, protecting your memory and more, so I was wondering if THCA is lipophilic, as I would like to make a butter which is THCA potent, and not have to eat whole actual weed.

▽▽▽▽▽▽▽▽
    Does anyone know?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tried a web search and a forum search, but to no avail, barring hard to decode Wikipedia pages and a scientific document which is rather unclear on the matter, and as I understood it, implied THC is hydrophilic!

2. Yes. HTC is turned into thca when heated to a certain temp(not sure exactly how hot), and then THC is soluble by lipids (ie butter And oil) as well as glycerin and high %s of alcohol

3. What is HTC?

4. ^ Pretty obvious its THC, unless he wants you to heat up your droid phone in butter.

5. Autocorrect wins again

6. How are you going to get THCa into the butter?

THCa is the unheated form.

7. #7 theVirtuoso, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    It's the other way around - THCA is converted to THC.

I'm honestly not sure whether it's lipophilic or lipophobic, but it's not psychoactive until it loses that carboxyl group (decarboxylation), and at that point it is definitely lipophilic.

8. THCA is contained in raw plant matter (live plant, unheated bud). Decarbing turns THCA to THC, CBDA into CBD, etc. THC must be heated at around 250 I believe, and vaporizes around 350. Decarbing will allow you to just straight up eat a bud and get high (if for some reason you wanted to), or making it ready to be extracted in butter, oil, or fats used for making edibles.

As far as THCA being beneficial, never heard of it, but I'm sure it would be. I mean, what about the plant isn't beneficial?! It's the best plant ever created!

9. I know THCA has anti-inflammatory properties, but not sure what other medicinal benefits it has.

10. Dug around a little and found this:
    Drugs of Abuse: Marijuana - Mayo Medical Laboratories

So it is apparently still lipophilic.

11. Ok, I was thinking of making unheard butter, so I could get some good THCA :)

12. Thanks for the info :)

13. #13 Izzy Mandelbaum, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    Can I ask, again, ...
    HOW are you planning on making unheated butter and putting the extracted THCa into the butter??????

Here is a scientific/academic study about heated vs unheated. This study is from the Departments of Clinical Pharmacology and Gastroenterology & Hepatology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland.

Heat exposure of Cannabis sativa extracts affects... [Planta Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"The metabolic pattern was significantly different after administration of the different forms [heated/unheated]: the heated extract showed a lower median THC plasma AUC (24 h) than the unheated extract of 2.84 vs. 6.59 pmol h/mL, respectively. ... On the other hand, the median sum of the metabolites (THC, 11-OH-THC, THC-COOH, CBN) plasma AUC (24 h) was higher for the heated than for the unheated extract. The median CBD plasma AUC (24 h) was almost 2-fold higher for the unheated than for the heated extract. These results indicate that use of unheated extracts may lead to a beneficial change in metabolic pattern and possibly better tolerability."

Heated gives you higher total plasma levels of all cannibinoid metabolites.
    Unheated provides higher plasma levels of both THC and CBD, specifically.

14. I'm just thinking that if I'm going to start getting high regularly the way I do
    It should provide some way to protect my brain, THCA does that. I don't really have a high tolerance, and so it might be possible just to leave unheated for a few hours and still get high. I'm going to do it on a trial and error system, and work out what amount of time to leave it for, and if I heat it slightly, what temperature I like the most. All of these factor can effect the high, so I'll create my personal high!

15. Cool, I have a recipe I've been using for unheated oil. Just decarb it and put the bud + oil in a jar. Leave it in the closet, shaking it up every day.
    Since this method decarbs the herb I guess that's still converting THCa into THC. I think I read that you can do this without decarbing, but it won't be as potent.

16. It will become as potent, it'll just take longer. First rule of THCa Decarb

17. I was about to share the same and read your post Iz, thanks.