Does anyone ever get depressed the day after smoking?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Fuggy, Jun 16, 2010.

1. #1 Fuggy, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
    I was about 15 when I first started smoking pot. I've always been an occasional smoker, I would smoke once every 1-2 weeks, sometimes a little more. And the first couple years were great. I've had enlightening philosophical discussions, had crazy "adventures", developed a greater appreciation for music and an ear for quality music, explored my creative side, eaten AMAZINGLY delicious food, had sincere rofl moments and conversations, and even enjoyed the lazier side, such as watching t.v., movies, etc.

But recently with pot I started getting SUPER paranoid and self-conscious. My paranoia went to scary levels where I made up elaborate conspiracies such as: me being an autistic child and my family had been trying to tell me all my life but I never realized it until then (I even flashed back to old memories and pieced it together as if it were a huge puzzle, like these past moments were actually seen for what they really were).

And no I'm not autistic lol Another example was: My older brother was a serial killer and he had been trying to keep me away from him so he wouldn't be tempted to kill me, but I would never see the signs and kept hanging out with him and he was losing control. Those were pretty intense in the moment when I thought them up but when I was sober I realized the ridiculousness of them. And as for self-consciousness I would over-analyze things to the max.

I mean most people have been obnoxious or done something stupid when there high at one point or another but I would feel super bad about it. I started to look at myself in the mirror and say "you're a loser". I felt like some douchy cartoon character (I thought this was funny because another guy said the exact same thing in another thread) And this was partially a good thing because I decided to start working out, tanning, eating better, get new clothes, get a new hairstyle, etc.

So it was good for my self-esteem and appearance in the long run. But the paranoia was pretty bad. Now the depression I was talking about is the worst and started more recently. The day after smoking used to be a happy, relaxed day for me, I called it a "stoneover". But now its just a depressing day where I feel miserable and gloomy. If I didn't do something to keep busy then it would just feel worse. I would feel sick to my stomach depending on how bad it was somedays. Isolating really made it suck too. And presently (now 19) it has started lasting for a few days after. And when this happened it wasn't like I just kept smoking and said it was no big deal. I would say, "this is awful, getting high is not worth this depression, I need to stop."

The next day I would feel completely fine again so I would just tell myself to take a break for a few months or so. But I would always find a way to justify it and smoke a few weeks later. It was still good to get a break. But the depression days wouldn't stop. It's like as soon as I reached the day where I felt fine again, my mind erased the depression I felt so I couldn't fully relate to it anymore. I honestly would say that I'm addicted because if the depression were truly that bad then I would've stopped a while ago right? But I truly enjoy smoking, and if I could just have it in moderation and not have it affect me negatively it would be great.

ANYWAYS, I know that was super long but I thought I should get out my full experience with the depression. I know no one will relate exactly to my situation since its so in-depth and everyone is different but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think I experience a less intense depression than what you're talking about. It's not nearly so bad for me, but I always make sure to go for a long run the day after I smoke. This really snaps me out of it and I feel normal again afterward. I hope that helps :eek:

3. i dont understand this phenomenon at all, havent heard of this or experienced it.

what?

4. Wall of text, paragraphs man, use them.

But yes, am pretty sure most people get a bit of a "hangover" maybe not as bad as yours, but meh, A bit of xbox and am fine. You just need to find something to do, if you just sit there thinking, oh wow am depressed, your just going to get more depressed.

5. short answer: no

long answer: I have never experienced any kind of depression, ever. My life rocks!

6. I'm not even going to read that. Paragraphs dude.

7. Hey dude, I feel like I am in a similar boat as you but in my case it is not quite as severe. I have also had certain cases where I make up a ridiculous theory in my head which seems completely serious and scares the shit out of me.

I am a daily smoker, and I find that this, along with other strange thoughts/feelings of panic, only happen to me when I smoke alone. If I have a few friends over chilling everything is good and I have a great time smoking weed.

If you are smoking alone, I recommend that you start only blazing when you are with friends. Just having people with you keeps you distracted, which allows you to relax and enjoy your high. When smoking alone, the mind is constantly wandering which is most likely causing you to think up these crazy stories. If you aren't able blaze with people because of some situation, I recommend that you try your best to keep yourself distracted while high(music, video games, munchies, movie, etc).

Cheers man hope that helped. :wave:

8. I couldn't decide if the OP was real or not. It sounds like a stereotypical story of pot being terrible.

If the OP is real, then what is the problem really? Pot isn't for everyone, so maybe it's NOT for YOU. If you feel better when u DON'T smoke, then don't smoke. WTF is the problem?

Also u probably have depressive tendencies on ur own, I'm guessing.

And I've NEVER heard anyone describe false stories that they believed only when they were stoned. That really is NOT how it works when most people smoke pot. The OP really sounds fake and exaggerated & ridiculous.

9. ^this all the way

10. If I'm not mistaken, cannabis causes an increase in serotonin levels in your brain which makes you feel "happy" while you are high. You're brain gets used to the weed doing all the work and slows down it's natural production of serotonin, so when the high wears off, it's normal for your levels to dip a little lower and can cause some depression. After a day or so your body should adjust and be back to normal.

11. #11 Green Piece, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
    ^True but let's not forget that the OP sounds very extreme and it it NOT how pot works for virtually everyone else. If the OP is true then the OP has their own depressive tendencies, I believe. Anyways I don't think the OP is real. I think it's bullshit that is meant to make pot look bad; that's why it's so weird and extreme. It's just not how most people experience pot at all!!!!!!!!

12. Nah dude this isn't some anti-pot scheme... OP seems to enjoy pot but has some negative experiences. This doesn't make him a fake.

I've gone through the same thing my friend. For a while it seemed like every morning after a night of smoking I'd be depressed, but I stuck it out and it eventually wore out. I think it may have been because I had depressing shit already happening in my life at the time, and the weed was making it worse.

13. OK I believe everything u said, but the OP is just describing INSANITY and this is just not at all how smoking pot is to most people. The person who posted it would really have their own issues that have nothing to do with pot. Depressive tendencies it sounds like, to say the least.

14. i only really get depressed the day after i do rolls. and thats just from my brain being completely devoid of serotonin afterwards. also some days after drinking or xanners or doing oc's or something.

never with weed though, although it doesn't seem illogical for that to happen.

15. Well in my own personal experience, depressive tendencies (when u can't smoke for some reason) are SLIGHT. They wear away quickly and us get used to not smoking pretty quickly.

But sometimes weed can bring to the surface your issues or feelings that were already there. For example if ur already real depressed because of things in ur LIFE, then smoking might bring out those feelings that were already there....

that's why I say the OP would have to have their own problems completely separate from weed..... Although I still think the OP is fake. lol Plus he has only 2 posts.

16. Ummm dude, im definetly Pro pot its almost as if the OP put his words in my mouth. I definitely do make up these crazy scenarios and i definitely do believe them when im high. Green piece im sorry but you are 100% wrong because i think the reason we feel this way is because we are new to smoking. I know many friends that would do the same thing the first time they started smoking. So what if he only has 2 post, i think this is my 2nd post aswell and im for the use of weed.

17. Hey, just because you can't admit that some things might be negative about pot doesn't mean that my story isn't true. I like pot. I like it a lot, its done many things for me. My story didn't sound that extreme IMO and if it did then you're getting the wrong impression. I feel like shit the next day but its not like im crying in the corner of my room with a knife to my chest. If anyone has ever been depressed at one point they know what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to "slander" pot, I'm just describing my experience, and I'm asking if anyone else has felt something similar. I'm not telling people to stop smoking or anything like that...

18. ive made up crazy conspiracies when i was high before lol. like people kept dropping hints but i just never got it until then but it was all fake haha

19. #19 Green Piece, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
    ^EDIT: I had the wrong impression.... Sorry man!

Once in a while there ARE people on the site that DO make new accounts and then write crazy posts that are meant to make pot look bad, apparently. For example I read a thread from someone who had supposedly just smoked pot, flipped out, lost control, killed someone, and then sat down to write about it on GrassCity. LOL Clearly fake...

If it's all true I'm sorry... lol

20. It's all good :smoke: