Does anyone else want to be a teacher?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sir Breach, Jan 16, 2009.

1. I've been thinking about doing this program lately

http://www.teachforamerica.org/index.htm

Once I graduate college (2 years) I think I'm going to do this program to get my career started. Anyone else thinking of going into education?

2. i've been contemplating it but its just as passing thought as of now. i have some time to figure it out anyway.

3. I've thought about it before

but just a thought not on the real
    thats cool though , good luck

4. those who can do
    those who can't... teach

5. I always wanted to be a teacher, but because of my grades and such it'd be difficult.

I might try to become one it later in life, but for now it was just something I'd like to do.

6. I want to be a professor when I'm older. I would like to get a job and build a life and then when I'm old and retiring from my other job I want to be a professor at a chill university

7. Only if they repeal the law against corporal punishment in schools.

I would beat the shit outta those little bastards.

8. Ive thought of it, but its really just so i could impose my will upon the youth of America. probably not the best intentions.

9. i used to want to be a PE teacher till i found out it takes 4 years of college

10. So....people who teach kids to read are losers?

i think not, sir:devious:

11. Well judging by the youth of today the majority has done a pretty shitty job teaching kids to read - so I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes haha.

I'm just playing, but seriously my mom is an English teacher for high school kids, I've read some of their stuff and it baffles me how retarded American kids are.

I guess I just had to take a look at most of my friends to come to that conclusion though...

12. Teach for America sends their teachers to hell schools in dangerous areas. My friends' daughter started working for TFA last year. The kids hate her and refuse to learn.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30911

13. Don't be a teacher. All my teachers in high school were miserable with their job. Not all showed it but at times the ones who didn't normally show it did and you could tell they hated it. Also even if you teach at a private school your going to deal with bullshit kids that'll talk back to you or have a refusal to learn anything. ALSO don't do high school. Do like 7th grade or lower. 8th grade and above.... please don't even try.

14. I agree I wouldn't want to teach high school since most kids are just immature. I wouldn't teach middle/elementary school either since I wouldn't have enough patience for that. It would definitely have to be college+ level since those students actually have some sort of respect for you and your class

15. I was thinking 5th or 6th grade... kids are still relatively innocent at that age.

Yeah I guess I shouldn't do it because of something I read in the Onion...

16. no
    its too frustrating for me

17. It seems like it would be a fun, rewarding job.... but the pay is shit.

18. I never liked that quote. Not just because I want to be a teacher myself, even before I made that decision. There wouldn't be much happening in the world if nobody taught anything. Individuals would have to figure out how to operate/accomplish/build/etc. everything. You couldn't show somebody how to do something, that would qualify as teaching.

I want to teach Medieval History as a college professor. How would one recommend I "do" medieval history?