Does anyone else here do Martial arts?

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Budlessdouglas, Dec 14, 2009.

1. I saw a few ufc/mma threads around here so I thought I'd ask..

I practice brazilian jiu jitsu (no gi), and kickboxing.
    They are both tons of fun, and best of all a GREAT workout.

I have my first jiu jitsu tournament in January, which is my favorite martial art hands down.. It requires so much skill, and after 6 months of training I'm fairly confident that I have a chance of winning.

Anyone else here?
    Or anyone who wants to practice an art?

2. I teach/train in Parker Kenpo. Been with my sifu for the past 10 yrs. I LOVE the way Kenpo moves and how much detail is involved. 3 days/nights per week I'm on the mat :D

3. Sometime after christmas I'll be starting boxing classes. Then in a couple months I'm probably going to start some judo classes too.

4. My dad used to take goju ryu and he had alot of trophys from tournaments he won, so ive been thinking of starting that up soon at his old dojo a few days a week. Only thing is i fucked my wrist up awhile back and im not sure if thatll get in the way of training.

5. i am a masta in kung fu hiyaaaa :metal:

6. I do/teach bjj gi and no gi but i much prefer gi. To me its such a good sport, so technical, complacated yet simple(hard to explain). I wish u good luck in your first tournement. And if u dont mine me asking what tournement?

7. kyokishin!!!!!

have trained with masters in many styles
    judo
    aikido
    aiedo
    shodokan
    kung fu
    yoga
    (hope the spellings not to bad)

but kyokishin is were my hart is!

8. Thanks, I would purchase a gi so I could do some authentic gracie bjj shit but I'm broke.

The Mid-michigan jiu jitsu association will be hosting it in Detroit.

I agree with you on the technicality of the sport, thats why I love it. I also like how dangerous it can be.. Its a GREAT self defense method.

Next time someone tries to mug me.. armbar that shit till it snaps haha.

9. I wrestled in high school.Boxed for a few years after school.I took No GI BJJ for about 2 years till i got married(which i am gonna start taking again after christmas)i just had to stop for a while after getting married and having a kid.Anyways your fine man i did my first contest after only 2 months of training,you learn more from 1 real match than you can from a whole month of rolling in the gym.GL!!:hello:

10. Not trying to offend anybody who loves the gracies but..........I would honestly stay away from their system they think they are the best and won't even teach you moves they don't believe in(which means you won't know how to escape them when they are done to you)I would go with a no gi form,a real good one is CSW(combat submission wrestling)they cover all ground fighting collegate wrestling,BJJ,sambo,greco roman,judo ect.The gracies claim to have invented the best fighting method around when they never invented it in the first place.They simply took shit from all the jutsus and focused on the ground aspect of fighting.One on one it is a awsome self defense method,yet add another attacker and your gonna be in trouble trying to choke one out on the ground getting kicked in yourhead.Anyways sorry about my crappy rant here lol.Trust me take a form of no gi jujitsu and stay away from the gracie system it's way too political.

11. i have my own issues with "modern" jujitsu
    dont want to ofend anyone but "most" of it is just judo?
    hell the only reason for judo was to have a nonlethal way to "compete" with one another
    traditional jujitsu there is no "submition" arm bar means broken arm ect.....

12. :eek:

Correct judo was created out of traditional japanese jujitsu,more of a sport type.However if you stick with it long enough there are a few submissions in it,infact you can automatically win a match if you submit the person after a takedown(throw).Anyhow you are semi correct in your statement.A really good modern form of ground fighting used by MMA fighters more now than even gracie jujitsu is CSW(combat submission wrestling)i labled most of what they teach in my last post,the only thing judo is put into this system for is takedowns,add judo takedowns with some collegate wrestling takedowns and you become very unpredictable.However any of these forms of submission grappling can still be labled as more of a sport than a self defense technique,as i believe in a street fight you should only go to the ground if no other option is avalible.Plus guys on the street can do things they can't in the cage to get out of stuff like biting,eye gouging stuff like that,hell even ball grabbing:eek:

13. Also any competent teacher will tell you in a fight for your life you never try for a summission you break their arm neck leg whatever lol.The submission is simply taught cause you very well cannot go breaking arms in the gym or in the cage now can ya lol.

14. yes i agree with you completely-as to how easy it is to turn the sport into the real defense

as for going to the ground in a "real" fight the stats say 90% of all "street" fights end up on the ground in about 8-12 seconds.....of coarse this is not an absolute just some numbers someone put together? and of corse anything goes in "real life"

i only really know about jujitsu what my judo instructor told me? very traditional japainese
    Shodai Thorner

it was thru him i met my shihan in kyokishin
    this is kyokishin kumite- the only rule is no fist or elbo to the head
    no points......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exYXeMkpoCM]YouTube - "Kyokushin Karate" KO (back spin & other kick)[/ame]

15. yes. kung fu, thai boxing and sambo, along with some bjj

16. I agree wit some of what u said buut you are mistaking bjj for gracie jiu jitsu. I do not like most ofthe gracies nor do i want to ever train in a gracie school, but i train gi bjj almost everyday. So just to say u dont have to have anything to do with the gracies to train bjj.

17. I used to do Shaolin Kungfu/Wushu for 4 years. I performed at probably hundreds of places. Some weeks I was there 7 days a week. It was alot of fun at the time , but I started to get busy.

18. Gonna bring a dead post back!!!Sue me i haven't been here in about 2 years so im allowed;)I got back into jitsu about a year and a half ago now.I train BJJ under pedro sauer 4 days a week.I have done many comps in this time and am loving it.I used to hate on Gi BJJ but where i train it is all GI.I always thought GI training was useless on the streets.Let me tell you i was wrong.About 5 months ago me and my wife went out to a club(we rarely go out anymore since we had our son)Some jackass walked by and litterally stuck his hand up her crotch.I went at him we ended up on the ground,I gained control of him,he tried to roll and i took his back and put him in a chokehold using his shirt and own arm.His buds came running up ready to jump me.I told them if they touched me i would break his neck,to which he rapidly agreed with me for them to back off.I then held him until the cops showed up and hauled his ass off.So i am retracting my statement that gi bjj is crap because it is far from it.Infact like my trainer says No gi is good for MMA because your not allowed to grab what little clothing they have on.But on the streets people are wearing cloths pants shirts(in the winter sweaters make great weapons against whomever is wearing it).Gi is more technical and in my opinion now from experience is better for self defense situations.Besides if your fighting a guy with no clothes on the street something is wrong lol.

19. :wave:

So what have you been up to in the past 2 years?