Does anyone at the City have Psychosis?

Discussion in 'General' started by geetardude, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Hey,

Over the past year and a half, I've been hearing/reading A LOT about how marijuana "causes" Psychosis. I believe its those with pre-dispositions but I guess thats not the point. Considering there are 60,000 members here, if these studies are true then surely many of us here should have psychosis, correct? I happen to be one of them. I'm just wondering if there are any others? This is also in part my response to a post I read of one of those who thinks that getting Psychosis might be "fun". *Smacks Forehead!*

I've been smoking since I was 14, diagnosed with Psychosis at 17. I'll be 22 next month. For those who might wonder how close of a link in my family line the disease lingers, it is within my own father. Well, actually he has full blown schizophrenia, but considering Psychosis often does develop into schizophrenia you get where I'm coming from. I personally don't feel comfortable going into much more detail of what my psychosis entails, other than the common "paranoia and loss of contact with reality" definition we've all heard. I've personally found after attempting to discuss with a "normal" society, that it is something that you have to experience to really understand. I'm done, now. :):wave: Peace.

-Timmy

2. You know, I was actually thinking about seeing a doctor for just this thing. I am not sure I have psychosis, but I definatly have heavy emotional problems. I do feel as if I am beginning to lose contact with reality very recently though, so Im not sure. I'll tell you what happens in a while after I get myself checked out.

Schizophrenia is probably the worst mental disorder there is, and it is very serious. Sorry to hear about your dad man.

3. So does smoking weed mess with it at all?

4. The first time my father tried to kill me I went to a psychiatrist. They're so nice. But, they're really just someone intelligent to vent to. I only went once. I let out my deepest thoughts. She was awesome.

I never went back. I learned to heal on my own. Its not for everyone, but I find that if you let loose your thoughts to someone...its like taking a giant crap of your soul. Let out all the evil. :smoke:

5. Hell yeah, it does feel good. Even though therapy has never worked for me, I could do that with close friends of mine. Feels damn good. Especially when they actually listen. Most people will hear you out, just waiting for their turn to speak.

6. your not alone brother,my dad has problems also,borderline peronality disorder
    its rough I see him every 5 months or so.I personaly deal with BPD with slight schizophrenia when my levels spike (and bad spelling)But with a good support system
    (my wife and Kaya)I survive.

I do believe that you have to be predisposed to latent "mental problems" to begin with.Myself I started realy smoking when I was 16 it helped but every one is different,sometimes when I smoke I get a little..........weird.I was on lamictal but I was all over the place.
    I told my phyc. that I smoke thruout the day, three hits three times a day day to keep my mind like a well oiled machine...at least one cylinder,shesaid I was addicted.
    so chin up and all that and enjoy the small things

7. Yes. The Audial Hallucinations severely increase when I smoke enough. You just gotta know your limits. I'm talking 3 bowls of Kind to myself, though. I keep it to 2 bowls of mids or 1 of Kind.

8. Yeah I'm pretty crazy,weed does both,supress and enhance(more surpressing).

I'm paranoid of corse with a side order of narcissim......

I likebeing crazy it makes me different...(clam bonks himself repeatidly on top of head):)

9. Yeah, I replied to that one with a polite slap in the face.:mad:

Yes, I'm diagnosed with psychosis as well. Was diagnosed w/ it when I was either 13 or 14...can't remember which. I'm 19 now. Went through very heavy medication regimens and eventually erradicated it and tapered off the meds, doing well at the moment, but it can come back sometimes.

marijuana didn't cause it for me, I was already pre-disposed to it, as you may have read in the other threads.

during the times when it was really bad, I wasn't doing any substances, including mj, so it may or may not have intensified it- don't know for sure. random hospital drug screens (usually at least one a week) are a good deterrant, lol.

but hey man, you're not alone- I've got it too, and I know how you feel. it sucks, but we get through it:eek:

edit- by the way, I'm also diagnosed with major depressive disorder- severe, (which will likely be changed to bi-polar I disorder soon, exhibiting too many symptoms to stay as MDD at the moment), obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and cannibis abuse (LOL, actually diagnosed with it).

10. I had to see a psychiatrist one time and I was diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder or somethign like that. I think they mean i was (and still am) a stubborn little shit. :D

When they told me that i was just like what the hell is that even a disease?

I guess I'm ADD too, but who isn't?

11. I don't have psychosis, the worst I've heard that I might be is a bi-polar manic depressant, that's all. But I never went back to a therapist to confirm all that, I don't want happy pills, no thank you.

12. for as long as i can remember i lose my temper over small shit. but when i toke up i forget why i was even yelling. I don't like yelling when im high. I dunno if i should see a doctor or somebody.

13. I think your doctors are quacks for diagnosing you with all those disorders...

You can't possibly have all those, man...imho

I myself have been diagnosed with ADD and depression in the past.

14. No psychosis(that I know of) But Im bi polar. Its runs in my dads side of the family. when was about 15 I was unofficially diagnosed with it by a friend of my dad whose a doctor.

In all honesty, before I started smoking weed I was a fuckin terror, I mean I still am, but not on nearly such a large scale. Ever since I started smoking marijuana, Ive calmed down quite a bit, Im easier to get along with, and I dont want to fight everyone.

15. I assure you I do. I'm no hypochondriac, but one thing I take seriously is my mental health. It's not my doctors faults, I simply exhibit symptoms for all those diagnoses.

Got a long history of mental illness in my family, brothers bi-polar, mom's depressive, uncle was paranoid schizoprhenic and killed himself...got a history.

It's just the way the chemical imbalances work. I'm not being overdosed on meds or anything, it's just simple accounting for all the symptoms. I've got some problems, not that I like them, but they are there. The doctor could simply diagnose me with one thing instead of all of them, but he wouldn't be doing his job then.

I've got good doctor's too...in the psch hospital, you've heard of wellbutrin / zyban I'm sure, my doctor was a lead developer for that.

I've gone through 10+ psychologists and it's all the same deal (I go through them quickly because I get sick of them) but I've only had a couple psychiatrists because they've all been competent and intelligent enough for me to stand, thankfully.

16. I'm not saying it's not possible to have all of those, just not very likely...

there is a lot of overlap b/n the symptoms of these disorders.

In general, I think that doctors in this country are too quick to diagnose and treat the "disease" with a pill.

I think that drugs should be a last resort. And as few as possible, instead of giving patients drug cocktails...especially patients with drug abuse problems.

17. i heard this report when it come out,,,, i dont know what psychosis? means,, would someone please define it for me?

i know i have a overactive sex drive,,,, im the hornyest, bastard youll ever meet,,,, ive had a lot of women tell me '' you just cant get enough''...

maybe i should have been a gynecoligist,,,, nah, id be in jail first day on the job !!!!!:p

18. I agree with the guy above me ( Or if he isn't anymore, the guy who said doc's turn to pills too fast).

I have PTSD, which Isn't as serious, but can be bad. From the car accident I was in, to getting shot, I'm pretty fucked up right now, still. They've tried to give me pills and shit, and I refuse to take ANY of them. I won't resort to a little pill just to feel "normal" or the way they think I should.

PTSD sucks, because one random thing can set off a flashback. After my accident, I had 3 screws placed in my right knee. I was kneeling down, and jumped up kinda quick. My hamstring locked, and the screws tightened. Not only did this cause amazing pain, but I spent the next 5-10 minutes on the floor screaming in pain, and having vivid flashbacks.

So yeh, thats my daily routine. Nightmares everynight, it just sucks, but Weed helps me. I have emotion problems, I'm not very open, and ball everything up inside. Weed helps me open up.

19. I don't see how it's not likely. Lots of people have a myriad of problems, and before I was diagnosed with any of them, they had to meet the specific criteria listed in the DSM-IV TR, (diagnostic and statistical manual for psychiatric disorders, text-revision), which requires monitoring for long periods of time before a diagnoses can be reached.

simply put, I've met all the criteria, and this isn't a case of a doctor being too jumpy and anxious to diagnose me. it's legit.

I definitely and full-heartedly agree that doctors are far too cavalier with medications and diagnoses, and that it is out of control. I agree with that. Just don't apply it to my situation- it's not my case.

I take SSRI's and mood-stabilizers not because I want to, but because I would be dead without them.

My disorders are not situational- they are hereditary. I have these problems because of my genetics, not because of things going on in my life (though they obviously play into it all).

If I were not on medications, I would be dead. It's as simple as that. I had very suicidal tendancies, and was hospitalized from attempts, etc. Therapy, marijuana, nothing helped me feel better. It's the simple matter of chemical imbalances in my brain (seratonin, norepinephrine, dopamine), and nothing else.

I'm not for medicating the world, but some of us out there really do need it. I'm one of them.

I've gone off of my medication several times before, all with disastrous results. It's the only thing that can artifically increase my seratonin levels to help me lead a normal life. I mean...you wouldn't deny a diabetic insulin, right? Well, this is my insulin. It's what I need to live. I don't like it, but it's the way it is.

I wish I could live a fullfilling life without medications, but every time I try, it results in quite the contrary. It's just the way my brain chemistry works.

20. You do realize that SSRI's (selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitors) and a large majority of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics carry no risk of dependancy, nor a capability for abuse?

Obviously there's many psychotropic medications that do have the capabilities for abuse, namely ADD/ADHD medications (yeah, let's go ahead and give our children of the world prescription speed and call it ritalin, jesus christ) and CNS depressants, but as for SSRI's, they work over time. This is why it often takes weeks or more to see full effects from SSRI's.

And for the love of god, medication should always, under all but the most severe of circumstances (in my opinion) come second to cognitive therapy / work.