does acne medication cause acne?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tastytrichomes, Oct 14, 2012.

1. can't find anything about this online. i bought some acnefree crap recently because my acne has been getting bad, but it has been going away. just yesterday i applied some of the solution properly, steps 1-3 (hoping it would eliminate the last bit of acne i had), as ive used it in the past, but then i woke up this morning with a face full of acne again. seems like it's the acne cream's fault?

2. it shouldn't... they dry out your skin like crazy where acne is all about making your skin oily.

maybe the company you bought from is just shitty.... I know proactive works pretty well.

3. I think what it is, is that some acne ointments/solutions can kind've dry your skin, and what happens is the remaining oil and crap is drawn out by this.
    So it's like your face is ejecting the bad shit.
    It usually flares up just a little bit before things settle down.

4. alright thanks for the help guys

cheers :smoke:

5. some facewashes will bring acne that is under your skin out to the surface,
    this is a good thing though because if its under your skin its gona come up eventually so the facewashes just bring it up quicker and then work to get rid of it,
    if you keep using the treatment the flare up you have now should die down quicker than normal and then the surface & under layers of your skin will be acne free

6. #7 cookiecrisp, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    It absolutely can cause more acne.

Back in my teenage years, and when Proactiv first came out, my parents broke the bank ordering that crap for me every month. My face got SO MUCH WORSE. When I'd run out for the month, and would be waiting on the next shipment, my face would start to clear up. But, I continued using the BS for almost 3 years because our family doctor told us that sometimes these washes are bringing everything to the surface, and with perseverance it would all go away.

Yeah, that's the biggest load of BS anyone has ever uttered.

Here's the real issue: your skin is too sensitive for that crap. Stop using ALL washes, ALL treatments specifically formulated for acne. Start using just a gentle wash and scrub, nothing with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it. That's what finally cleared my skin up completely after years of messing with that "for-acne" stuff.

Now I use stuff from Alba Botanica (you can get it at Walmart in the "natural" cosmetics section) and I haven't had a zit in almost a decade.

7. I would suggest buying some cetaphil daily facial cleanser. It's like ten bucks for a pump bottle, but I swear it's worth it. I barely use acne medication, I just wash my face at least three times a day with the cleanser and I'm good. Like cookie said, your skin is too sensitive and is having a bad reaction to the meds. Just keep your face clean, change your bed sheets often and try not to sleep on your face. It might help. Good luck dude I hate acne

8. i believe so i used to use a bunch of different Anti-acne cleansers nothing did the job, but now simply Washing my face with water multiple times a day has cleared up my face

9. damn differing opinions now. not sure what to do think?!

10. Everybody saying that acne medication can't cause more acne is absolutely wrong, and doesn't understand how our skin works.

Give "acne medication-free" washes and lotions a try, and see if your skin doesn't improve.

11. both sides seem to make sense though. ive had terrible acne before without popping pimples and merely just it being there. other times acne medication has slightly helped. but most of the time it seems to accelerate the growth of pimples on my face

12. So what exactly do you have to lose by trying another method?

Everybody's skin is different. My skin was far too sensitive for that "for-acne" junk. Some people's skin responds well to it, and some people's skin doesn't. The brand of acne wash you're using doesn't matter: they all use 1 of 2 ingredients in varying concentrations.

13. It dries out your skin, then your skin says "Oh shit, your skin is super dry!" And pumps a bunch of new oil up and bam, worse acne.

14. everyone's saying something different. i've had good results with and without, but never really followed through on either enough to find out. i guess i'll keep using my acne medication, and if it doesn't clear up in the next week or two, then i'll stop using it for good

15. That's all you gotta do. Experiment.

16. good news guys, acne has been clearing up after about a week :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. also i thought you'd all be interested in this picture i took as well:

[​IMG]

18. acne recently got worse... i think overuse of acne medication (although instructed) irritates the skin enough to cause more acne... and i found a couple sites of information on this when i researched it

so yeah im gonna stop using this acne free shit, maybe just use an ice pack to reduce inflammation and wash my face like twice a day :)

19. Man, am I glad the days of worrying about that stuff are over for me

I had worse acne than you by far. Tried every kind of soap, Stridex, pills, vitamins, folk remedies, etc... Nothing did the trick until I bit the bullet and did a course of Accutane. I knew the risks going in, but anything was worth it at that point. Did the trick, no side effects except for extremely chapped lips while I was on the medication. Now I can count on one hand the amount of blemishes I've gotten in the past few years.

I guess my real point here is that, in my opinion, every sort of topical cream or face wash out there is bunk. You either have to wait it out or drop an atomic bomb like Accutane.