does a brand name matter?

Discussion in 'General' started by arzonasundevil, Oct 31, 2011.

1. #1 arzonasundevil, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    I am curious about brand names on pipes. Do brand names matter?; even if you don't know the name?

If you came across the same exact pipe, one with some random name and the same pipe without...which one do you choose? Do you have to know the name?

I ask because I make pipes, but I don't brand them. I have been thinking of branding them to help start my business to be more recognized in the industry, but not sure if it really matters.

Would love to hear your input. I am a wholesaler so I don't interact with customers on the retail level, so I have no other way of finding this out.

Thanks all.

Peace.

Oh, and do you care if its american made? Would you be more likely to buy a piece if you knew if was made in the US?

2. #2 wht2give, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    Any price difference? If the price is the same, probably the brand named one, just so I know the company I'm getting the glass from.
    Of course, that's if they're the EXACT same, which is highly unlikely.

3. I couldn't care less about brand names on pieces. If it's quality, the product should show that.

4. I used to care, until I started buying $40 bongs that hit the same as a $450 toro. I saved $410 to not have a sticker.

5. if it doesn't involve a lot of effort i think you should sign your pipes like art, not brand them like products. so put a signature or a calling card on them that's always hand-made and basically the same. that way you got kind of a brand that might also be the center of some word-of-mouth, and you're telling your customer that you put art into what you do.

6. Been smoking for years and to be honest I didn't even know there were popular pipe brand names. I've heard of ROOR bongs but that's about it. Everyone I know just buys whatever the LHS sells.

7. it matters most when, like you said, you want your business to flourish and people to know you and your product. in the end it shouldn't matter, quality should matter. but that usually doesn't work. i have plenty of no name pieces, but something with a name will usually catch my eye first, mostly so i can identify the product and find out its reputation. but i won't go in to a shop to buy, say, a bong and go straight for the roors or illas. i'll scope it all out first whether it be some weird ass name i've never heard of or no name. i guess what i'm trying to say is, yes it matters to a certain extent, but ultimately quality reigns supreme.

if you are wary of putting your name on your pieces, maybe you can come up with a distinguishing mark that is large enough for someone to see you made it, but small enough that it's not the only thing you see on it.

8. I prefer stuff with a name/label..if for nothing else than re-selling.

9. Yeah, was thinking of a small mark, pressed into the glass while it's still hot; so a symbol or letters will be raised on the glass slightly as a makers mark. I know years ago bottle makers would do that on the bottom of the glass.

10. It matters.

11. if nothing else, i pay the extra $410 just to be able to refer to my bong as 'my toro (or whatever the piece is) vs 'my generic glass bong'. sure the difference in hit might not be worth $400, but

a) the difference is there

b) let's face it, among seasoned smokers namebrand > anonymous shit. in basic, i've never gotten hoes solely for fucking with a generic $40 bong. some of my other pieces can say otherwise...

12. Most pipes other than bongs don't have brand names