Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Half Stoned, Aug 23, 2010.

Not quite, but bless you for picking up the lingo, brother.
    :smoke:

2. Who saw the latest episode? How much you wanna bet the creature at the end of the universe was the same thing as the midnight entity that stole the doctors voice on the diamond planet?

I did think something along those lines.  But I'm glad it was left as open and ambiguous as the Midnight creature. Perhaps they were the same kind of entity, perhaps they weren't.  You can choose what you want to believe in your head!

And that was a fantastic episode.  This is shaping up to be the best series since the show came back!

4. well i dont think it was quite as fantastic as the midnight episode. that has to be one of my favorite episodes of dr who ever. but those skylines at the end of the universe were gorgeous. all the art from the latest season has been awesome

5. Really enjoyed "Listen" -=- a new side of the Doctor emerges.  And Clara has been around the Doctor for a long, long time.  Hmmm...

But honestly, I'm getting tired of Clara.  In the 'reboot' era she's ranking with Martha and Donna as my least favorite Companions (and she's getting to be as bad as Mel and Peri, my two least faves of all time).  IF she leaves after Xmas (which is one rumour I've heard) I won't be sad.  I think Peter deserves a brand new companion.  

I have a feeling the creature in the bed will return

6. #486 The-Doctor, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014

I'm having a hard time choosing between the two.  Midnight is - in my opinion - one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever, as well this could be.  I suppose time will tell with various rewatchings!

See, I'm just starting to really love Clara.  She works waaaay better with Capaldi's Doctor and has been given a chance to really develop as a character.  And I also love Donna... and I like Mel and Peri >.> So shoot me! To be fair to them, they get given much better material with Big Finish.  But I'm with you in that I would be happy to see Capaldi get a new companion for Series 9.

I sort of hope the creature of the bed remains a mystery, like the Midnight Entity.

7. I haven't listened to a LOT of Big Finish, and what I have seems like an awful lot of 5th doctor - prolly why Teagan and Nyssa are right up there with SJ as far as my fave classic companions.  I just can't cotton to Peri's AWFUL American accent.  I mean it's bloody awful.  And Mel, well, ugh.  

As I'm not American. the accent isn't as jarring for me.  I mean, I know it's not the most convincing one ever, but it's not as distracting as I imagine it would be for American viewers.

I'm pretty sure Doctors 5/6/7 have roughly an equal amount of stories from Big Finish, as they all signed up for it at the same time.  I've not gone out of my way for many 5th Doctor stories, but Spare Parts is amazing.  Definitely check out some of the 6th and 7th Doctor stuff if you get the chance.

9. I do have some 6th and 7th stories to listen to.  The thing is though, we only really listen to them on very long car trips.  Earlier this Summer we drove to Utah from Los Angeles, not once but TWICE.   So we listened to something like four or five full 4 part stories on one trip and another couple on the other.  

10. Yes they have much more chemistry now, capaldis doctor with his grumpy cynicism bouncing off clara whos basically a giant bundle of optimism. I didn't care much for martha or donna, but i like clara. They should go at least another season before switching her out, she needs time to rub off on the doctor. Though i don't like her new love interest, he's kind of a dillweed.

To me the creature in listen reminds me of my own paranoias about the fauna of the mirrors. Which if you haven't heard of, is one of the creepiest myths ever and i had nightmares about it before i even knew what it was. Legend goes, a spell was cast on the creatures, trapping them inside the mirrors, forced to mimic our every move, waiting, watching, for the doorway between worlds to be opened again. Plotting to kill us and take our place.

11. Big fan of this season so far. Clara is enjoyable now too big plus. Listen was incredible. I'm just at a loss for words

12. @[member="The-Doctor"] I believe capaldi's character was needed. He's dark, cunning , and hilariously awkward

I've heard of it, but never really considered it! Good points.  

I'm undecided on Danny Pink at the moment.  I guess I don't know enough about him yet to form a conclusion.  He seems okay so far though.

I agree.  I love Matt, but I'm glad they've toned down the Doctor's whimsy for this incarnations.  A bit of it every now and then is good, but it's just refreshing to see Capaldi's take on it.

14. I can relate brother. I like moffats writing but i feel maybe russell's writing might be more suited for some one like 12th. of course just my 2 cents but i'm open for disscussion :)

15. #495 The-Doctor, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014

Whilst I'm generally a fan of the Moffat era, there are some choices he's made that have irked me - not greatly, but little niggles.  I think Moffat's really upped his game for this series, though.  I haven't really found anything I can complain about.

I'm a fan of both eras.  Both are equally flawed and brilliant in different ways.  I would really love to see Russell T Davies return to write an episode though.

16. "Welcome to heaven" the promised land? I think we're seeing the small clues to the overall plot of the series so far... somethings going on.... also... at first I thought Capaldi was too plain, but the darkness and the depth is growing on me and he may be my favourite doctor now

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. What about time heist?

18. #498 smokymtn, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    It took a bit for me to get used to Capaldi, I couldn't get his roles on The Musketeers & the Fires of Pompeii episode with Matt Smith out of my mind.  I must admit that he is growing on me as The Doctor.  I don't watch much television but, I have always made time for Doctor Who, for many, many years.

It will be good to find out what the woman in charge of paradise is about.

19. Capaldi is great but the only thing bothering me is that he doesn't really even care much about helping others, he's kind of a dick. Which at the same time is why I love him.... it's all so confusing

20. I love Capaldi. . Really getting back to what Dr Who used to be instead of having jumped up idiots who are playing the 'fun wacky uncle' role. Really hated Matt Smith