Do You Want Pot Legalized? NAME UR PROS AND CONS..

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by TrippinOn420, Oct 18, 2010.

1. okay so some people may think this is a crazy question and would say yes in a heart beat (tht they want it to be legal) but think about the government..all they want is money, knowing tht a lot of people will buy it, they will most likley rise the prices!:mad: My opinon, i think i would rather have pot ilegal :rolleyes: but idk i want to hear ur opinion and whats good about pot being legal and whats bad about pot being legal :cool: TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK :wave:

Keep Tokin' :bongin:

2. #2 HampsterFats, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
  3. i want it legal so its not illegal

4. its decriminalized in canada... its pretty much a joke here, and since its still not "legal" its cheaper and not taxed.. so sorry but id rather it be illegal the only good thing about it being legal would be the easiness to just go to the store and buy some

5. Legalization would cause prices to drop.

6. is that for sure?? maybe il just buy weed from the native americans like cigarettes they wont be taxed :)

7. Any economist can tell you that legalizing a good will lower it's price.

8. Uh no they won't because that's when something called "taxes" comes into effect. If they do legalize weed then it'll be heavily taxed so it probably won't be cheap. However if it's too expensive then there will always be a black market. I could be wrong about this but if you look at the prices for weed in Amsterdam, they're usually a fair bit more expensive than the illegal prices here in Canada. Not saying I couldn't be wrong but really I'd say best case scenario, weed ends up being as cheap is as it up in Canada.

An example of taxes taken too far would be with cigarettes in Ontario, the prices have become so high that a black market for cigarettes has basically taken over the industry in the province.

That being said, I still support legalization, I'd just make sure to grow my own.

9. You contradicted yourself in that post. Of course there will be taxes, but over taxing something to the point of inducing a black market is counterproductive for everyone, including the government that is trying to make money.

10. I want pot legalized because it will be easier to get. It will be more convient and less people will go to jail over it.

I want it to stay illegal because growers will lose a job and dealers will have to get a real job. The government taxes it and the huge businesses that grow it will contaminate it with poisons to get you addicted just like ciggarettes and it wont be as healthy.

Either way i dont care because im still going to smoke it but if it was me i'd say i dont want it legalized.

11. Regardless of the tax it would still be cheaper then it is now.

Do you really think it costs 5-10-20 dollars to grow a gram? It's called artificial inflation which is caused by the illegality.

And no one says you'd have you buy the commercial shit. If it were legal you could grow your own so the "added chemicals" point is moot.

12. #12 Burned Haze, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
    People need to stand up and be real with our governments. A lot of older people who are respected and work hard everyday smoke cannabis everyday and to put their lifes and their families over a plant that people have consumed for 1000's of years. Their should be no debate, it is criminal how the media and government laggy gaggs on whole topic and laughs in our faces. It's time to force their asses that's the way it's going to be and theirs nothing they can do about it. It took some soccer moms and millions to get tobacco industry to admit their products even were harmful & addictive. Everyone's priorities are so out of whack it sickens me!

Legalization is only way to remove the corruption that will emerge if decriminalized, look at Amsterdam and Canada. Both examples of People who are making millions under the table. The laws are a joke.

Lets get real with our Government, cause their way is not working!

13. I think you should add a poll to this thread

14. i hate when people say it will be more expensive.

the only reason weed is so damn expensive is because of the risks involved to get it to you (because it is illegal). smugglers/growers/dealers don't do that shit for free. if something becomes legal, it becomes more available (but not to children, i hate that argument as well). when something becomes easily available it becomes cheaper, even with the taxes.

its high school economics :rolleyes:

and if people took the time to read the proposition they would see that it allows you to grow in 25 sqft... i could work some magic with that :smoke:

baby steps people, babysteps!

15. I contradicted myself because it really does happen. Sometimes the government gets the price right and sometimes it's too high and a black market pops ups. The point is however cheap it is to produce, it will be taxed very heavily.

16. yes

pro: I get high at the party and its all legal like all my drunken friends.

con:

17. Hey, you didn't write anything in your con.

Oh, I see what you did there.

Anyways, legal of course. Cheaper, readily available, not illegal...blah blah. The same argument over and over. I think we all get it now on here.

18. I don't think that is true. Some(maybe most) economists agree that if the purpose of prohibition of a good is to drive down consumption, then a legal, taxed, and regulated market will do so better than making a good illegal and imposing fines/imprisonment.

Demand for drugs is inelastic (or very close to it). What that means is demand is unaffected by price.
    Fines/imprisonment do not have a significant impact on consumption, and have so far only served drive up prices (increase risk == increase costs) to line the pockets of drug sellers.

That just cannot be true or is again an example of failed legislation.
    One of the purposes of making a good illegal is to drive up the price such that a consumption goes down(less people can afford it).
    Comparing price to the US(where laws are different) and saying its cheaper is apples to oranges.

A tax can work in the same way as illegalization in raising the price of a good, but it has the social benefit(giving money to the government) rather than to drug sellers who may be funding crime.

19. There is not a single benefit to having pot stay illegal. Here are the three stupid arguments I heard so far in this thread

1) Prices will Increase once it is legal. This is 100% false. Even if the government taxes it at 50%, prices will still be significantly less then they are now. The reason you pay 15-20 a gram is because of the various middle men that you have to go through who all want a significant profit due to the illegal nature of their work. Just look at the Prohibition Era. Sure there was no taxes on alcohol, but that shit was way more expensive then it is now cause it had to be either be smuggled or produced in relatively small batches

2) Big business will put all sorts of harmful stuff in it. Could not be more wrong. A company, has to list all the ingridients it uses on the back of the product. So, if there is anything in there other then weed then you will know about it. Since, most people prefer pure weed it would make no sense economically to "lace" their products.

3)Growers/Dealers will be out of a job.... GOOD!

20. Yes, demand will stay the same roughly speaking. However, supply will increase dramatically. Thus, according to the basic rule of economics, prices will decrease