Do You Wanna Talk About Sharks?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by AR Toasty, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Hmm, who could have possibly predicted this outcome? Jackass takes a chum shower and serves himself up on a platter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. He isa Idiot for that What did He think would Happen? I Wonder! People should just Leave the Poor Sharks Alone an Let them Do what they do.

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. This would be the right place to mention hakarl, rotten shark Meat fermented to derive Meat of urine-acid.

Lucky to be vegetarian

4. As a vegetarian, I take it you've never sampled that delicacy? Can't say I have any desire either, especially after reading about Bourdain calling it the most disgusting thing he's ever eaten.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ah no. I was not vegetarian at the time, but..it is served with svartadaudir (Black death) which is basically very strong alcohol. That hints toward it not being easy to stomach i guess. Only ever had sharkfin soup. Not something very memorable.

That guy you mention ever tried 'surströmning' ? Famous swedish dish

6. There's a myriad of content surrounding celebrity chefs taking on hakarl, with most deeming it pretty extreme. I've been offered shark fin soup, but declined it on ethical grounds. Unfortunately I did not extend the same sentiment when offered turtle, and while the circumstances were different, I still felt guilty.

I don't know anything about surströmning beyond what I just googled. How does that compare in strength to the shark? The furthest I'll take herring is pickled, preferably on the streets of Amsterdam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Good reasoning. Cant really tell ya what its like as i have only watched videos of people attempting to eat it..its the same kind of gastronomy art as the hakarl as its fermented to it produce alcohol. I dont know if the hakarl ferments that long though.

Have seen it when I have visited swedish grocery shops and I did not dare pick it up with me.

Turtles yes..was this in South East Asia or something? I guess its more common there.

Amsterdam is great. My friend went rolling in the back alley losing our room Keys after drinking that absinthe

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I reckon "attempting" is description enough. Reckon it's your duty to give it a go and report back!

Yeah, the turtle soup was in Indonesia. The shark fin was in China. If I'm recalling correctly, the turtle was in a similar vein to crocodile, which is far more common and has a "fishy-chicken" kind of taste. Though perhaps it was just the way it was cooked.

Not everybody can handle the 'Dam :laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1