Do you use Seaweed or Kelp Extract???

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by piper32, Mar 29, 2010.

1. The only fertilizer by choice, foiler feed to reuse the soil and you can't overfeed

peace
    "V"

2. I have used BULL-WHIP organic seaweed for 2 years now and will never use anything else. I use this and my three general hydro products and have the best medical marijuana around. The pro's in Oregon and Cali know some secrets and I got turned onto this stuff on vacation down there.check it out I buy it from amazon but they have a web-store also. I know they are one of the only guys using this type of seaweed and use an all natural extraction process unlike everyone else.

GOOD LUCK,
    DIZZYLEAFBLOWER

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bull-whip-Organic-Liquefied-Seaweed-Fertilizer/dp/B006JVB2FG[/ame]

WELCOME

3. I haven't used this exact product you are using, but my results have been similar, applied to crop in flower & saw improvement the next day and the day after that the buds seem to have swelled at least 20% amazing...

4. JoeBlow81

Hopefully you'll get this since it's an old post.

Setting aside the Elements that Kelp meal contains (Ca, P, K, Mg, Mn, Si, and the other 77), it's the compounds that make this material the stellar addition that it is - specifically Alginic acid and Mannitol.

Only brown kelps contain Alginic acid - here's a chart comparing Red, Green && Brown Kelps from Dr. Michael Guiry - one brown kelp is almost identical to another brown kelp all other factors being equal - water purity, growing season, etc.

Alginic acid can absorb and hold in place water @ 200 - 300x it's own weight. Mannitol is an import compound for chelating Elements ('nutes') converting them to ionic form which allows them to be absorbed by the plant's roots and associated fungi.

HTH

LD

5. thanks:wave:

6. I have been using General Organics BioWeed for a few grows now. I can actually see results when using it versus Organicare Seaplex which did not preform well.

I use BioWeed as suggested at 2.5ml per gallon up until the 15th day of flowering. One of the unfortunate side-effects to the extraction process is the sodium content of the product which can interfere with the coco cation bank. Regardless, 2.5ml/gallon has been more than enough to produce EXPLOSIVE root growth where huge swaths of my smart pots have root masses growing out of them. I find it is important to keep an eye on my cal-mag and potassium levels when using this product as the cations will all compete for uptake. Definitely important not to exceed the recommended level, IME.

I am a big proponent of Kelp supplements. And silicon... And Fulvic Acid as a pH down replacement... and....... okay... I won't go further.

In addition to BioWeed I use Botanicare Liquid Karma which probably has some kelp extract in it somewhere.

7. Age Old Orgaincs kelp or their kelp & seaweed are both great

8. I use neptunes harvest seaweed extract around xplanting and through veg and beg flower. It's super powerful so a little goes a long way.

As for Kelp it's in my roots organics nutes, my soil, my myco spores, my FF happy frog amendments...

9. I use PVFS kelp extract on everything I grow. My lawn, my citrus grove, grape vines, berries, and of course my indoor crops. This stuff is made from California Bull Kelp and is every bit as good or better than the North Atlantic kelp. In addition it is a cold enzymatic process so everything is preserved unlike the stuff you get from Maxicrop. At 20 bucks a gallon plus 13 bucks for shipping on a 2 gallon order it very inexpensive to use. 1 gallon diluted water covers an acre of crops. It does have humic acids added to it and I love it.

Not familiar with peaceful valley farm supply? groworganic.com they are not always the cheapest on everything and I shop around but they do have very high standards and on kelp extract they are the place to go in the western US.

10. should say 1 gallon diluted in ENOUGH water covers an acre.

11. Lots of useful information :)

12. Yeah try (Bush Doctor. Kelp me kelp you) just use half the recommended mixture or even less with ro water and just use it to mist your plants like ones or twice a week between watering for a little extra moisture when needed. Small amounts mixed in your water hear and there help.

13. You always want kelp meal and not extract. Much of the "good stuff" is often and inadvertently removed during the extraction process where raw, unprocessed ground kelp meal will still contain them.

Both will contain massive micronutrients but kelp meal will still contain organic PGR's (Plant Growth Regulators) and hormones that will most likely have been removed during extraction of some products.

It's quite easy to simply soak kelp meal in water for anywhere from 48 hours (which will still preserve growth hormones) to several weeks which would give you an end result similar to extract products - all of the elements but lack of organic growth compounds. It's also excellent to just mix a few fistfuls into your planting hole/soil.

Long story short, plain kelp meal will blow away any extract as far as performance goes.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1