Do you use Seaweed or Kelp Extract???

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by piper32, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Do you use Seaweed or Kelp Extract? If so, I would love to know everything about how you use it, when you use it, and what brand you use. Your opinions about foliage feeding and your application rates would be extremely helpful to all who read this!:D

2. I use a stuff called power thrive from The Growing Edge Technologies this is what it does: Power Thrive is not a plant food; it is a carefully formulated blend of vitamin and natural plant hormones for use during all phases of plant development. Our chemist has discovered
    a unique way of extracting the valuable growth potential from kelp, one of the world's fastest
    growing plants. Power Thrive helps your plants survive during stressful periods of growth,
    especially when starting seeds, transplanting, or taking cuttings. Power Thrive also ensures
    stronger, more vigorous vegetative growth and when used during the flowering cycle, will
    result in more vibrant blooms and improved fruit quality!

3. All right! There is a start! Thank you! Just curious, but when you say " Our chemist", does that imply that you are a part of or work for that company? Also, how do you use the product specifically; ie foliar feed, soil drench, etc?

4. I was just quoting something off there website, I wish I was a chemist. If you check the site out that have all the instructions and mix ratios. My local hydro shop carries this line so I tried it one time and loved it. The Power Thrive im pretty sure is organic, but the Grow A/B and Bloom A/B is not organic, if it matters to you.

5. How did you use it that one time when you loved it?

6. Both and for specific reasons.

In North America there is only one plant processing the so-called 'North Atlantic Kelp' (Ascophyllum nodosum) and it's located in Nova Scotia. The name of the company, Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. processes kelp into kelp meal as well as 3 categories of seaweed extract with the top one being an organic human food-grade product which is used in supplements one might find in a health food store and their other 2 seaweed extract product lines are geared for agriculture and the other for livestock.

What distinguishes Acadian Seaplants, Ltd.'s version of North Atlantic kelp from the other major processor of North Atlantic kelp, Maxicrop which is based in Norway, is that Maxicrop uses an alkaloid extraction process that reduces the microbial levels where as ASL uses a cold-extraction process (without any chemicals) that maintains high levels of auxins, hormones, PGRs, microbial colonies, etc.

This product generally retails for about $15.00 per lb. and the rate of use is 1.5 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water. A pound will last you about a year or more.

If you are looking at a product at a grow store which is said to contain 'seaweed extract' or 'kelp extract' and it isn't black then it's either KELPAK or KELPGROW.

KELPAK is a clear liquid product that is extracted using mechanical force. This product is used by the manufacturers of hydroponic 'nutrients' because it's clear and doesn't interfere in the color tinting of this bottle of stuff or that bottle of stuff. KELPAK comes out of South Africa and is widely used around the world as a means to increase food production levels. It's available at a couple of places in the US in small(er) amounts. I believe that 1 liter is the minimum.

KELPAK does not use North Atlantic kelp as does ASL and Maxicrop but rather uses the Ecklonia Maxima variety which is found in and around Africa and the South Atlantic.

KELPGROW is a product produced in British Columbia which is also clear and is processed using a cold-extraction similar to the KELPAK product. The kelp variety used in this product is Macrocystis Integrifolia which is found along the Pacific Coast of Canada, the US and Mexico. It goes by several local names like Brown Kelp, Bull Kelp, Big Kelp, etc.

Buying any seaweed extract product from a company selling 'nutes' is a fool's errand. I've seen bottles of 'kelp extract' from a 'famous' company that had a retail price of $300.00 - insanity. You could buy 1 quart of KELPAK for less than $18.00 (delivered) and the dilution rate is 1:500 which works out to 1 quart making up 128 gallons of seaweed extract. Add some food coloring and viola! You've got a NUTE! LOL

The cost of setting up a seaweed extraction processing plant is in the millions of dollars. There isn't a single hydroponic 'nutrient' company with $100+ million to throw around to 'find the best seaweed extract ever' for their customers.

They simply buy existing products readily available like everyone else and then hire the graphic artist to come up with the right 'look' to push it out the door of indoor garden centers.

HTH

LD

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. I use Bio Bizz Root Juice which is basically just sea kelp. I use it during veg. to encourage root growth. That's the only time I use it.

8. So, with all of the good things you said about Acadian Seaplants, Ltd., what about this product? It seems to have the things you were talking about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also +rep for the post. That is exactly the kind of thing I am hoping for in this thread.

9. piper32

I'm not familiar with that product, per se. The easiest way to tell if it's either KELPAK/KELPGROW is if it's any color other than dark brown or even black.

If it's dark brown or even black, and specifically since it says that it's 'cold extracted' then you can go to the bank that it's ASL. You can buy ASL online for less than $15.00 per lb. and a pound should make up about 150 gallons of ready to use product - more as a foliar application.

Also if it's ASL there should be a very strong aroma of the air at the coast. A very pleasant 'ocean' smell deal.

HTH

LD

10. [​IMG]

as black as resin

11. piper32

That's definitely made using ASL's seaweed extract. It should serve you well.

HTH

LD

12. I had better yield then the other nutrients I was using, and the smell and taste were way better :smoke: Check it out, my nugs were never this huge before I started using it
    [​IMG]

13. I have a bottle of growmore that I folier fed in veg, 2tsp per gallon. The new general organics is way different looking, I have been using it in veg. both folier and 10mg per gallon to water. it says Ascophyllum nodosum.

Attached Files:

14. Have you used it long enough to see a big difference in not using it or using something else?

15. yes i use a down to earth kelp meal, cause its cheapr than liquid... i mix it in with coco perlite and compost, green sand and azomite, when making my base media. i also use it as a liquid for new transplants. Going to use it as a foliar feed too. i may run an experiment where i use it on a couple blooming plants but have had bad pot due to people using it too late in flowering.. man did that fuck his pot up..

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. +Rep on your first post! So kelp late in flowering is bad! That is good information. Glad to hear you have had good results. Now I am interested in azomite too. Great post and pretty informative! Let us know your results!

17. I have used growmore long enough to say its great in veg., Im on my first grow with the GH organic stuff.

I agree with downwithcaptlsm, once you flip them to 12/12 quit using it. In the Gen Hydro feeding sched. it doesnt use it after the flip.

I think the biggest thing it has done to my plants is add girth to the stems, I will shy from saying it has made my finished product any stronger or have a bigger yeild.

18. I use Neptune Harvest Seaweed Plant Food- looks the same- dark, thick, resiny. Next grow gonna add their Fish Food, but they are liquids and I like the idea of powder and making my own tea.

I just upped the amount with this last nute change from a capful to 3 TBS/6gallons of RO.

I am using hp aero (>50psi). Feeding is 2 seconds on/9 minutes pause- 24/7. I don't think my method will cause bad pot.