Do you think weed will be legal in our lifetime?

Discussion in 'General' started by StickyGanja, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Do you think we will ever see the day when you can legally walk down the street hitting a joint just as casually as smoking a cig?

2. Even if budd was legalized I doubt you'd be able to do that. You can't grab a bottle and walk down the street drinking without getting in trouble....

3. No.

I can't even maket that answer five characters.

4. Shiet...

I've smoked a blunt and drank a 40 walking down the street before. More then once, And more then once with jus one or the other.

Never been in trouble.

Man last year i was wlaking down the streets in the burbs msoking a joint and i passed my ex's house whos pops is a cop.

I give zero fucks.

Jus be smart and shits aight.

It aient 'legal' but im careful so its all good.

5. No, it will never be just as legal as cigarettes or more legal than alcohol. It will never be available to anyone under 21 or possibly 18. It will never be allowed in public or while you're driving. Those things are generally good rules anyway.

In my opinion, the best we can possibly hope for in our lifetime is decriminalization where you just get a citation and pay a very minor fine like it's a parking ticket or something.... maybe by the time I'm middle-aged. And I think legalized medical use is likely in possibly 10 years or less. But I highly doubt we will live to see Amsterdam-style coffee shops in every major town in the U.S.... too many states/politicians would never even come close to letting that fly. The entire southeast is way too conservative, and most people anywhere still generally disapprove of marijuana. It will still be part of the black market for decades to come...

Besides, our government is too stubborn to admit it's been wrong about something like this for the last 70 years, and that it knowingly lied to us all this time. Plus it's pretty much impossible to try and regulate the production and sale of a weed that anyone with a little extra time on their hands and knowledge from the internet can grow pretty easily in their home. It's already the number one cash crop in the U.S. by far, and it's not even legal. So if it were, it would entirely change our economy from top to bottom. (Maybe this is the true stimulus package we're looking for? ;)) It will take many years before today's college-aged generation will be of the majority in gov't office and unanimously care about the issue enough to make all the needed changes.

One thing is for sure though - it all starts with educating people using accurate information. Once the general public accepts marijuana, it will be legal... at least more so than it is now.

6. I spoke to my dad (archetypal 60's stoner) about this a while ago:

"You know, all things considered, I'm actually fairly optimistic that weed will be legal within my lifetime." (a little out of character, for me)

"I hate to break it to you, but forty years ago, I said the exact same thing."

:(

7. yea...

but that was 40 years ago, it's a LOT different. there's a difference between time passing on with no movement toward a goal and time passing by with progress....i think there's been a great deal of progress...would your dad ever have expected cannabis clubs? (even if they are only in Cali...it's still a step in the right direction.)

8. i smoke walking in public all the time.
    if they legalize it everybody else probably would too.

but in my lifetime? im optimistic and hopeful for that but im too much of a realist to really believe it wholeheartedly.

9. Dude... you're not even allowed to walk down the street with a joint in Amsterdam. I mean, you'll be fine if you're discreet. But you're not allowed to smoke in public there.

But yeah, I can't count the number of times I've walked down the street smoking a blunt and drinkin' a beer. I guess it's all just where you live, how smart you are about it.

I don't really do that shit anymore. Just not worth it to me, get some dumb ticket and a not so cheap trip downtown. I'd rather sit on my couch w/ a brew and a blunt.

10. legal or not
    we do it because we are free, and can

11. Will it ever be law of the land federally???? No in my opinion.

I think it will be a state by state thing as long as I am alive, like gay marriage, lol. Some states will tolerate it, and some wont. Red states and blue states.

12. Well,think of it this way..alchohol is strictly lisenced to sell in public places, but you still have the right to brew your own beer. Maybe they will let us still grow (under a certain amount) our own green, while still able to buy seeds, pre rolled joints/blunts, and sacks over the counter (actual cannabis stores, with lots of security to prevent a robbery)

13. well theres no saying this will never happen, infact.. it actualy might. I mean, take this in, we have weed magazines weed clubs weed tv & radio shit & even this guy Ron Paul whos trying to become prezident & legalize canabis. Even in a few years i think weel get closer.

14. i do not think mj will ever be legalized nationwide.

i think that at the state level, it could be decriminalized in the same way it is in Alaska and Colorado.

however, it would still be illegal at the federal level. and federal level trumps state law.

you hear all the time about medical dispenseries being raided and patients incarcerated in the states that allow a medicinal exception.

i feel that federal mj prohibition laws are in violation of the 10th amendment of the US Constitution.
    the 10th amendment states:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

so i think it's possible for someone to challenge federal mj laws based on the fact that the federal laws are in violation of the constitution and we would be in a situation where individual states made the decision w/o interference from the federal government.

15. No I don't think we will ever see the day where we can walk a joint down the street so casually. I do think it will be legalized in our lifetimes though. But with all of the new restrictions on smoking cigs coming to law, and already exhisting laws against public intoxication, I can't see how one could smoke so freely in public.

16. Medical marijuana use, yes.
    Recreational marijuana use, no.

17. legal? no

decriminalized? yes

18. well, more and more states are making medicinal mj happen, so eventually it will start to be more and more accepted, eventually decriminalized and if were lucky, legalized (but possibly only in specified areas; home, coffeeshops). but with each step we take people become educated, and eventually everyone will see the truth about our little herb :smoking:

19. the thing about it, is, it is still a mood-altering substance (sorry to sound like a loser) and just like alcohol, there is a time and a place for everything. Every once in a while I will be cheeky and smoke in public, walking down the main strip, but I use my discretion. As sad as it sounds, I do not believe that cannabis will be legal anytime soon because, to be openly and easily prescribed, the government must deem it 'safe'. How do you deem a substance like marijuana 'safe'? How do you test it for safety? I am sure if they find a way to deem all of the prescriptions safe, they could do it with marijuana. The gov't likes prescription drugs because it is a recipe - if you follow the recipe the end product is all alike. The gov't makes so much money off of the Drug War. People say that you could tax the hell out of it but I think that there are laws in place saying that you cannot tax a substance past a certain extent, but I could be wrong on that one. The Canadian gov't is making loads of cash of cig smokers now, because it is from 9-14$ for a pack of 'name-brand' cigs. I hope it will become decriminalized or legalized in my lifetime. But it would not be 'puff walking down the street', it would probably be in a bar scenario, where you get ID'd and stuff.

20. I think In my lifetime posession of any amount in public will be legal, but the smoking must be done in your house or the local club. I think this will happen before I'm 60 (18 now).