Do you think this is good or bad?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Tetra416, Nov 4, 2012.

1. I work at a supermarket. One of my best friends from high school also works there and we used to get high together back in the day. Anyway, he (fucking stupidly) told a girl at work who works in the same department as me that I smoke. Anyway, she randomly started talking to me about it one day and I was thinking "son of a bitch what the fuck". I really really did not want my coworkers knowing since it endangers my job to some extent and I just generally prefer people not knowing. It turns out this girl smokes too so I thought alright that's not so bad then. About a week later ANOTHER girl from my department asked me if I smoked and said she heard I did and once again I was like "wtf people keep your god damn mouths shut" I played it cool and it turned out she did too so it wasn't so bad but still pissed me off.

Today at work in the cafeteria the first girl who found out was talking to a guy from a different department, with only us 3 there the subject changed to smoking ganja. She then kind of pulled me into the conversation meaning this guy now knows that I smoke although it was apparent that he did too so it wasn't so bad and he seemed like a sensible guy.

Basically due to peoples failure to keep their mouths shut and respect my wishes to keep this info private I am now a known marijuana smoker, to several co workers who also are.

I'm really not sure if it's a blessing or a curse. Joining to "smokers click" at work could open up opportunities but at the same time I'm concerned that my superiors will find out which would annoy me very much.

One one hand this endangers my job although the risk is very low since the company has a no drug testing policy and I NEVER go to work stoned so even in the unlikely event of my boss(es) finding out I doubt anything would come of it. It still bugs me though since I am a very private person and feel much better when everyone is oblivious.

On the other hand I now know three other tokers who I see regularly and all have connections. This could mean sharing of contacts (I've already secured antoher one for my collection) and a bit of socializing outside of work time which would be nice.

I'm kind of pissed about everyone blabbing, but it could potentially have been a blessing in disguise.

What do you guys think about the situation? I can give more info on request.

2. man if you never go to work high then calm the fuck down because what you do on your own time is none of your bosses business, people are trying to involve you in their social circle and thats your reaction, you sound like a really social anxious guy, get out of your bubble.

3. Alright I shall take this advice. I'm not socially anxious It's more that I was unprepared for all of this since it all kind of happened and I had no control over it.

4. I know what you mean about not wanting co workers to know.
    Sounds like you should be good, they dont drug test and your boss hasnt seen you high before.

Soooo hoe those girls look? lol

5. Hm, I wouldn't like to be in the same situation honestly...
    I guess the only good part is that (that you know of) only the "right" people have had it mentioned to them.

My suggestion though, is to actually talk to everyone involved - seperately.
    Tell them you're a bit surprised how much it's out there now and you're a bit worried, and just appeal to them to not mention it to anyone and that just to be safe if they want to talk about it, make sure it's outside of work.
    All it takes is one wrong person to over-hear...you'd be surprised what some bosses are prepared to take on hearsay.

Just tell all involved that you've tried your best to keep your work and outside life seperate, and that's how you want to keep it.

6. Not really a big deal dude, if you do your job well and don't come to work high then I don't see why your boss should care. It sounds like everyone else in the place tokes too so I don't see why you should be singled out for it.

Congratulations, you now have a bunch of new smoking buddies. :smoking:

7. #7 Tetra416, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    Thankyou for this advice, I will do this. It's mainly the first girl who may be a problem, she's pretty cool but clearly cannot keep quiet. I'm sure she'd understand if I talked to her.

8. you should be good. try not to talk about it like everyone else though. and deny it to your boss

9. Dude everyone who works at a supermarket smokes. Even if your boss hears he probably won't waste the money to drug test you. Even if he did drug test, then fire you he would just get another stoner replacement.

10. Just tell your co-worker's to shut the fuck up about weed and smoking during work. Advise them that none of you need any problems with your bosses. And if they keep yapping their pie-holes, then they WILL cause the bosses to start random testing, or at the very least your bosses will be on your cases more then they should be. Remind your co-workers that its still illegal.

11. If you don't go to work high and smoking doesn't affect your work ethic at all then don't worry about it. One of your co-workers isn't going to tell your boss haha.

12. Tell them not to talk about it at work because your boss could find out and start testing you on it and that shit would suck

13. Hate these kind of people, but at least they join in as well.

Its the people who are "too good" for it that tell anyone that piss me off. When i found out my bestfriends mom knew what happened at a high school party and the list of people it came through was 20 long all people who didnt go spured by one girl who got mad we wanted to have fun.