Do you think machines will rule the planet?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Superjoint, Sep 2, 2001.

?

How do you see the future?

1. Machines like computers will become "intelligent" but will be restricted in their capabilities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Machines will take control over the human race

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Machines will never become real intelligent and consious

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't have clue, I'm waisted :)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. i just smoked a fat my self of some med weed its great for know dude, smoke that dope it wont age!lol

2. what were you smokin' when you started this thread. This is some deep philisophical thinking. only philisophical though so that makes it very susseptible to outside influences, such as geographical location of the person, your basic upbrining, and many other life experiences that have occurred. With that said is your answer really yours or is it a planted thought from some time ago when you were yunger? WHoa that's a scary thought. Anyways my feeling is that the teacher can be surpassed by the pupil, if the pupil displays imaginative thinking, meaning that the computer would have to be able to think on it's own. As far as i know that hasn't happened yet, to any extent that we would have to worry about it in our lifetime. commputers only know what they are programmed with, they can perform functions that seem like they are thinking ie... mathmatical equations, finding city on a map, but as far as being able to paint a picture like my 3 year old son they don't have a chance. They can't imagine therefore they can't come up with anything that hasn't already been programmed in to them in the beginning. If the information isnt in their data banks it doesn't exist to them therefor in my own opinion they will never be able to outdo their creator. That gibberish might not make alot of sense but then again who cares because it's only philosophy, right?

3. try find your locationwith in a 1/4 mile in 36,000 n /miles at sea with a sextan and a star! lol or try ploting with the out dated radar the navy has lol or try ploting sun lines every 5 mins!and dr ing your last fix by 10 mins at the same time as ploting loran c/a ,or omga readinds now that can give you stress!dude!threw in ploting a few stroms at the same time and you may finish up 25 hours latter!but yes your right this is a great post !

4. Well,as computers are now, they dont do anything that one doesnt program them to do. i.e. you have to press a button to turn on your computer or set the auto power so it activates at a certain time. As computers are now they dont turn on of their own free will, which is the way man will keep things if man isnt freakin retarded.

Basically my opinion is that if we someday do have the technology to give a computer the power to make decisions,i hope we will never EVER use it. Tampering with something like that is asking to be taken over.

Personally i am doubtful as we could ever create human though in a machine like a computer, so i for one am not worried about being "ruled by machines". Generally everything is regualted and most things in our society have safe-guards so that we dont spiral out of control as a race. so again in the event that we can create emotions or decision making power in machines we wont use it and/or will ban/regulate it so as not to have a global crisis on our hands.

All in all my point would be: dont worry about it.
    We've got things under control^^

5. basically we're talking about science fiction becoming reality.

it is a real phenomenon, only yesterday did i read in the newspaper that the star trek beam transportation is now real. ok with light and energy, but still scientists have taken fiction and made it reality.

think about some films that were made maybe 10 20 years ago and now things have come real: television, mobile telephones, satelites, landing on the moon etc etc. the list could go on for miles.

6. kind of a wierd topic dont you think

7. I hope so. I want some fuckin post-apocalyptic chaos to wallow in for a few decades. I want to fight for survival against man's very creations. I want to start a revolution against our mechanized oppressors!

:D

8. What if...we(the human race) are the computer that's being programmed? What if this entire existance of our planet has been an attempt at building that computer like sj's article was talking about? That there are beings out there living an existance totally above and beyond ours. Just like the internet keeps running and growing all on it's own whether or not your on it or not. Even if you are on it...you have no idea of what or how everything that's going on it it.

To me (if this were true)...this being is God. And...God is LOVE!!! Pure God love. It is a supernatural love that is shed abroad in my heart. You become part of a well oiled machine. Kinda like the Borg on Star Trek. Only the Borg don't operate in Godlove! Man's attempt at making a computer would be Data. But look how many decades that is from now. And even they were having trouble getting it right.

Just an idea. Peace:smoke:

9. two points to make upon reflecting over this whole thread/topic - maybe more depends if i get keyboard happy.

Humans can be compaired to computers. we are biological computers. with six inputs: sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell and sensory input X. we are being programed from an early stage inside the womb, most of which is nonsence core programming just to make sure future programming will work, this programming continues at a high level for most of child hood and will still continue to update until later in life. as we age outside the womb all our inputs beggin filling up our brain (pre-programmed to accept this data) and all this goes into what makes us the computers we are.

If we can be interpreted as computers like this then surely the whole senarios previously mentioned in this thread are not so far fetched after all.

2nd point. I think some of you are not fully aware of the types of high tech experiments that are going on in Universities and other more secretive labs (coprorate and Military) around the world. just think about the "Quantum Computers" or apparantly aka "Dimensional Manipulation Computers" being devised as we speak... ...prototype expected in under 2 years!!! check out the crazy robots being developed in Japan now AND ALREADY REACHING CONSUMER LEVELS! There have been massive advances in computing to replicate some simple brain functions, such as visual recognition. the future is here in small quantities and has been for a number of decades! :) heehee

hmmm, no keyboarditis, so i think i'll call it a night.
    g'night folks
    PS can someone send me some weed, my back is absolutly f*cking killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! owowowowowowowowow!

Digit

10. hmm... i don't think i made much sence there. i still understand my concepts.. just don't think they are expressed very clearly. i need some weed i guess.

it's a pretty good reason to colonise other planets tho...

... with all these new crazy, super powerfull, super inteligent technologies that may one day slip out of our control, should we not have a backup colony else where to preserve the species?

11. About machines ruling the planet...

check out the ancient movie Metropolis. It's a silent, but was redone with contemporary music and "color" in the late 1980's.
    The movie is well worth seeing.