Do you think George Zimmerman deserves to be charged with murder?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by A.R.C., Mar 23, 2012.

1. I'd also have to say in a lot of ways it is a reason to dismiss what he has to say. When someone resorts to semantics in an argument, it almost always shows that they are willing to use whatever tactics they deem necessary to try and "win" an argument. I don't see any point in talking to somebody that's looking to win an argument, instead of having an actual discussion. The moment he does that it shows he cares more about some e-battle going on in his own mind than the actual issues, and to me it shows that he's more likely than not going to be closed minded towards whatever opinions I may have on an issue.

Just my opinion

2. Yeah, I pretty much agree, that can happen, but that's no reason to be all like, "Oh lol your argument is semantic." That's kind of just become an empty pejorative.

Anyway, he did actually say, "Not if there are no witnesses." but it seems like he was just trying to make the point that we don't actually know if harassment occurred. So his argument was not semantic at all.

3. I'd disagree because when the guy has admitted to the dispatcher that he's basically following some random guy around asking questions, to me that constitutes harassment. That's why I called it semantic, because we KNOW he was following this guy around for no real reason, and yet he tried to tell me there was no harassment, and for me that is harassment, but w/e.

My whole point of posting is this thread, breaks down to this;

Did the actions of Mr. Zimmerman lead to the death of Trayvon(not talking about shooting him obviously)? In my opinion they did, and he should be charged for it. I doubt the physical confrontation, or any of the other violence or problems would've happened had Mr. Zimmerman taken the advice of the 911 operator and gone home, or just called and never followed him around in the first place. I feel he is responsible for the situation and as much as Trayvon may be at fault for the fight, I feel the whole situation could've been avoided.

4. Assuming he actually did attack Zimmerman, if Trayvon hadn't of started beating Zimmerman, do you think Zimmerman still would have shot him? What if Zimmerman really felt that he was going to get brain damage or something if he didn't get the kid off of him, like, it really could just be self-defense, and also tragic.

5. If a person jumped in a lion cage at the zoo, and got their legs chewed off, should the lion be punished?

6. Why do you ask lol? No I don't think so. I wouldn't give a fook if they killed the lion though, and if the dude who got his legs chopped off wanted it done, I could understand it. But I wouldn't do that lol.

7. I just hope that there is no rioting like we saw after the Rodney King verdict if Zimmerman is never brought to trial or if he is found innocent. This whole thing is just ugly to the core.

The court of public opinion largely has seemed to rule that Zimmerman is guilty, and they're ready to treat him like he's the Frankenstein creature or something

[​IMG]

8. I always hate it when the media becomes judge, jury and executioner. For all any of us knows Zimmerman could be completely justified in his shooting. Or maybe not, but no one has enough evidence to say.

9. #89 Mogwai, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
    Yeah he wasn't "standing one's ground" and he wasn't defending himself.

It just sounds like Zimmerman was perhaps somebody who was fed up with local crime and wanted to take his frustration out. Maybe he really thought he was doing a justifiable act, but it obviously wasn't. He sounds like a wannabe cop or something

There's not enough details to say much, but from what there was in that article it's probably worth charging him. If the evidence in court suggests he isn't guilty, then so be it... but he should definitely be tried in court just based on the circumstances.. he did afterall shoot and kill that person.

10. Is he necessarily guilty? Well I can't say that, none of us have been given a full recount of the story.

Hell yes he should go to trial though. It should be up to a jury to decide this mans fate.

11. #91 sudo toke, Mar 26, 2012

As someone who lives in a pretty famous gang capitol of California, I can tell you high school kids and even younger can be thugs, and have been known to shoot and kill people themselves. There is no foundation in assuming he was harmless because he happened to be in high school. Nor is there justification in assuming he was a thug. Which brings me to my next point...

How do you go from this:

To this:

?

As I said before, this is nothing but a court of public opinion being used by parties with an interest at hand. News agencies exploit it for the ratings, others on both sides of the issue exploit it for the race issue, be it Fox News or Jesse Jackson...

Truth is, none of us have the facts to properly determine who was at fault, much less make sweeping generalizations that this guy should be charged for murder, or that he was completely devoid of fault. You do not know. I do not know. Nobody here knows. So why is anyone so sure that he is or isn't at fault? Are we so arrogant that we can't simply admit we don't know what happened and allow the system of justice we have in place to carry out its duty before we start jumping up and down about who did what so early?

This is silly. Nothing but pure conjecture and people confirming their biases.

12. #92 HongKongPhooey, Mar 26, 2012
    So let me see if I have the events matched up right after careful analysis.

- Martin goes outside during a break in a BBall game at about 7 from his father's house in the neighborhood.

- He passes one George Zimmerman who is in his car.

- Zimmerman noticing Martin's unusual actvity(Walking around in the dark in the rain "just looking at stuff""while holding something by his waistband"), and knowing their has been a string of break-ins lately as well as being the Night Watch leader phones into the dispatch.

- Martin noticing a strange man staring at him runs off.

- Zimmerman after being advised not to follow chases after.

- Martin after being chased confronts said strange man.

- Scuffle ensues, boy gets shot, cops completely believe Zimmerman's side of the story at face value and here we are now.

I think I got the gist of it.

Now what seems to be in contention here is the Stand-your-ground Law in Florida, and from what I can find specifically:

From what I can tell, Zimmerman does not fall into this category. He chases after Martin after being advised not to do so, and is given plenty of avenues for escape before and after confrontation. So he should get arrested for Murder Two, and a plea deal down to Manslaughter IMO.

But, everybody's interpretation of the law and circumstances is different. Although if the law doesn't take care of Zimmerman, the people will find their own way. Miami, like many places takes care of their own. If I was him I'd start looking for houses in Kansas.

13. You're assuming it's a normal reaction to attack a guy who may or may not be following you in a gated community. You're a couple streets from your house, do you really fight the guy you think is following you, or do you run 200 yards to your house?

I just don't buy the argument he was scared and that's why he fought. Maybe if he was far from home but I know if I thought someone was after me and I knew I had family members close by I'd be much more inclined to run to them than face them on my own.

And if something like that happened the people who did it would be no better than Zimmerman, and probably much worse than him.

14. Pretty sure most handgun rounds travel much faster than 200 yards a second.

15. It is a normal reaction to attack someone who's following you. I wouldn't hesitate.

16. #96 garrison68, Mar 26, 2012
    Below is the Petition, from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, to stop the gun lobby from forcing communities with laws against concealed weapons, such as New York City, to allow visitors from other states to carry them when they visit.

17. He should be given the Tawana Brawley Humanitarian Award

18. When you're literally a block from your house and there's some car with you don't know how many people following you, and you wouldn't hesitate to attack the guy who got out? When you don't even know for sure if they're actually following you? I just plain don't believe you. If you're an innocent 17 year old kid walking home in the dark, why would you take on a guy you can see is a lot bigger than you when you're easy escape is right there? Also if he had done that the Zimmerman would have realized he lived there and probably gone home.

That's assuming he did attack Zimmerman, which we can't even say is for sure.

19. If you can literally run faster than a speeding bullet then yeah sure, but for those of us not imbued with superpowers a more logical approach is needed.