Do you think cannabis related careers exist?

Discussion in 'General' started by blkarmphoenix, Sep 2, 2013.

1. *note* this is somewhat of a "help me figure out my life" post, so if you dont want to hear somebody whine about first world problems, turn back now!

Ok now let me elaborate on that title, cause it doesnt do my thoughts justice.

I am a 23 year old father of two and husband to a great wife. I have no higher education, but have worked a steady blue collar job since I was 15 years old. Being intelligent, and having a work ethic when most of my peers don't has gotten me to a comfortable "lower-middle-class" lifestyle that suits my family well. Now, while my family no longer lives in an impending state of brokeness, we do scrape by, run on tight budgets, and many times make due with what we can. Now of course, being in my early 20's (my wife is around the same age) has me wondering how much time I have to continue on in my blue collar humdrum before I will need to make a move in the direction of finding a suitable career, pursuing the necessary training for said career, and implementing my new skills in such a way that I can lead a comfortable life for the next 40+ years until retirement. The thing is, that frankly, im in a rut.

I can't get a vision of my life going any differently than it already is. Which is not to say that i'm 100% comfortable with the status quo, but nothing in my life is dramatically prompting me into a lifestyle change of this magnitude. I've come to realize, that one reason could be that all the advice you ever see anywhere is "follow your dreams" and frankly I don't have any.

Nothing particularly interests me enough to light that spark in the pit of your soul that is supposed to drive you to follow your passions and make your mark on the world. That is nothing except for marijuana.

I love weed. Not just smoking weed, but looking at it, reading about it, touching it, learning new things about it, pondering its uses, imagining the spiritual and philosophical side of this glorious plant. Now dont get me wrong, I am not the typical Bob Marley wearing, dreadlocked, rainbows and free love, pot smoker that the stereotypes portray. In fact, very few of us are. I am as down to earth and normal as the next guy. I just genuinely think that there is more to weed than meets the eye. It holds an almost spiritual attraction that I simply can not shake.

So, philosophical stoner psychobabble aside. Do you think that at any point in the near future, cannabis related careers will exist in such a manner that it would be a reasonable goal for your average joe to get into that sort of thing? Maybe commercial grower, or retail seller? Something that would take all of the knowledge and insight into the 420 lifestyle you'd gained over this time of prohibition (which I do believe is drawing to a close, but thats a whole 'nother post) and turn it into a legitimate way to make a living?

Thoughts?

2. sry i didnt read all but if you live in a med state yes u can have a career.

3. Ya man it sounds like you know a lot about the herb. And it also sounds you are commited/dedicated to this if this is what you were to do, presumably as your life career. So I say go for it! Start networking, getting involved, asking questions,, and turning your ( I don't like using this talk, but) 'dreams' into reality. The world is yours, my friend.

4. I know they exist beause I've bought weed from growers who sell a lot of weed and make a lot of money.  are they legal? depends what state you live in.  are they easy? probably not.  or else more people would probably do it.  and then it definitely wouldn't be an easy career.

5. They definately do exist. I witness it everyday bro. One of my good friends is a budtender at one of the best dispensaries in L.A.  There are so many options you can take though. You can be a grower, own a dispensary, own a magazine, start a seed company, start your own genetics company, do lab testing for nugs/wax/ even seeds. You can be a promoter for cannabis related consumer items. Start a garden and make award winning strains. Open a hydroponics shop for weed. Or you can be an activist for the movement to legalize. You can make fabrics/textiles out of hemp(like B-line). Make convenience items for stoners to buy. I saw this thing in a head shop where you dump it in water, shake the water out, and put it in your vial of over dried buds and it brings them to life..things like that.

Infinite possibilities.