Do you think anything is possible?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pink Floyd, Jun 6, 2010.

1. I for one think that nobody can ever say for a fact that nothing is possible,

I think every thought and ever idea that is ever conceived has a chance of being possible, granted that chance can be infinitely minute, the chance is still there. For all you know a big dick could sprout out your forehead right now.

You can't say there's absolutely no chance. I'm fully atheist and despise religion, but you can't say there isn't that .000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that they're right and we're all going to hell. I strongly doubt it, but you never know, you know?

Thoughts?

2. We're here, arent we?

3. Thats so true...even though something has been "proven" not to happen or to happen, there is always that chance that a phenomenon will come along and change everything!

4. I've tripped balls a few times so i believe that anything is possible haha

5. Well, one of the principles of logic is that you can't prove a negative. I'm done playing devil's advocate now.

Anyway, I do think that some things are impossible.

6. Haha I can see that in a sig

7. I can say for a fact that a dick will never spontaneously grow out of anybody's forehead, ever. There are simply too many things that need to happen in a specific way and order for that to happen (certain cells need to be there, the genetic code has to be there, etc). There is a 0.00% chance of that happening. Just as there is a 0.00% chance of, say, the Earth spontaneously turning into the Sun. Isn't gonna happen, no matter how much you try to convince yourself.

Unless of course we're just going to throw out every single concept we've ever held, ignore every single bit of science and logic we use from day to day. Then yeah, anything can happen. But since those premises aren't true, the conclusion cannot be.

As far as religion goes, again, you pretty much have to throw out any and all logic and reasoning. I don't for a single tiny bit believe that ANY religion of man is at all correct. Is/was/were there a/some god(s)? Could be. But I'm sure that all of the religions through all of time are and have been and will always be wrong. But that's just my opinion, based on my own observations.

Oh and finally, since it's what I thought the thread was originally about, don't listen to people who tell you "You can do anything, just as long as you put your mind to it!" or whatever other stupid shit. No, you can't do anything. You can't play in the NFL when you're a midget, it doesn't matter how goddamn hard you try. Some things just can't be done.

8. In regards to the bolded, of course not. I don't consider myself an optimist, but not a pessimest. I despise people who project false hopes and say stupid shit like "you can do whatever you want" etc. No you can't, quit fooling yourself and realise you're stuck to your average life. That said, I agree with the fact that all logic deters from the possibility of a dick growing out of your forehead, but think about the fact that us as humans have brains that are programmed to see and perceive things a certain way, and everything as we know it may just be an illusion, and our perception is completely wrong. You can never know. The possibilities are infinite. No matter how much evidence is presented for your case, there's always that infinitely slim chance that everything as we know it is not actually so.

9. Well like I said, if you're going to throw out everything we know, then yes, anything is possible. Just like if I were to make the rules of poker to be completely meaningless while playing a poker game, then everybody can get Go Fish and the Old Maid and Yahtzee and Bingo too.

10. Yeah, but don't you just think it's pretty arrogant (for lack of a better word and spelling skills) and unrealistic to be absolutely 100% no fucking doubt sure about anything? There's so much fucking shit that we don't know its unfathomable, really. We probably have a fraction of a trillionth of a trillionth of the knowledge there is to be had in this universe, and trillions of fractions beyond that. Shits so massive and mindbending, you can't really know what to be sure of.

11. i ate an 8th of shrooms for my first time a coouple weeks ago.. AMAZING trip. anything is definitely possible when you really open up your mind

12. No, I don't think it's arrogant. Because I draw the line somewhere, that line is where you say "reality is an illusion." Like I said, if you're going to completely erase any and all rules then yes, anything is possible. Just like when you write a book of fiction, you can make up the rules all you want and it IS possible for people to grow dicks out of foreheads. But I don't live in fiction. It's cool to postulate about how everything we know is just the Matrix, but it's just making things up. Show me some evidence any of that is true and I'll be more inclined to believe you. But I still think that there are certain rules that can't be broken; break those and anything is possible, but at the same time nothing is possible because then there are no rules. Kinda circular but I think you get my point lol.

Basically if you will it for anything to be possible, then anything is possible. In your mind.

13. That's sorta my point, I have no evidence, and much more than likely you're correct, I don't beleive we live in a matrix, I take life to the fullest reality, but you cannot be absolutely sure. It comes as off as you're saying that you think I actually think these hypothetical situations are reality, but I'm not saying they are. Ever read the multiverse theory? Kinda the same principal, idk. I'm just in a philisophical mood and coming down from a nice fade so I'm just pondering.

14. Yeah I've read about multiverse theories and such, and I delve into philosophy all the time. I'm just giving my side of the argument.

15. Well I guess it's just the fact that the Universe and all the crazy shit that happens within this infinitely vast, infinitely mind-boggling area leads me to beleive that we have no idea and no comprehension of what's possible.

IMO I dislike when people try to find the origin of the universe and shit like that, I just think that religion or even science trying to find an answer to why we're here is a waste of time, because the answer if there is one would be so complicated, mind-boggling, and massive that we should just not even try and instead focus our efforts on making this little rock called earth, the only place that we know, a better place for us to live. (not talking about shit like saving the environment, I don't give a fuck about shit like that, I'm talking about rising above common ignorance and propoganda and various shit like that)

16. Believe.

17. #17 zpyro, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
    There are plenty of people who are working on Earth, while there are others who are concerned with much, MUCH bigger things. Because humans won't be around forever or even anything remotely close to it. We're just a tiny little spot in the universe with some life on it, and everything we know of time is just an infinitesimally small blip on the scale of universal time. Some people are satisfied with Earthly endeavors, while others want to know why and how we, our planet, our galaxy and our universe even exist. Given the choice between world peace and knowing how the universe was created, I'd choose the latter :p

Having said that, though, I still think there are certain rules that the universe follows. We may not know why or how, but we know they exist. Things like gravity, from the observations we have made, from our own planet to galaxies countless light years away, are constant. What's true for our galaxy is true for every other one out there. Same thing with pretty much every other scientific theory backed up with reproducible experiments and consistent conclusions. These are the things I talk about when I refer to throwing out everything we know. There hasn't been anything to legitimately challenge what we find to be reality, so I don't put much worth into that particular theory. This is also why I say dicks won't grow from foreheads, we don't just grow full, random body parts anywhere, ever. Growing a horn from your forehead, though, IS apparently possible.

There are a lot of things out there to be discovered, and this argument will pretty much NEVER be put to rest. At least, until Jesus or one of the other "gods" comes back, or we just die and there is no more for us. But when you're dead and you end up not having a soul and not going to heaven or hell and you're just plain dead, you can't exactly come back and tell us how the ride was :p This is why I think most religions are just attempts to explain the inexplicable, giving answers, however false, to questions we couldn't possibly answer. People are generally scared of the unknown. Plus there is a corresponding drop in IQ as faith in a God goes up...draw your own conclusions there ;)

18. Completely agreed.

19. lol. no. 'anything' is not possible.
    logic and realism are priorities in my life, though... so im biased.

20. Haha you don't get the point. I don't really feel like trying to "back up" my pointless pondering so I won't. Logic and realism are just as prioritized in my life as yours, all I'm going to say as what we see and welcome as logic, reasoning, and intellect could all be wrong, although I'm more than willing to bet it's not, there's always that chance.