do you think animals commit suicide?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by MattSKAA, Jul 17, 2011.

1. why else would they dart out in front of a car going 60 in the middle of a dark night?

2. Lemmings.

3. Because they're not smart enough to understand the inherit risk of something that is man made and not a part of nature? Some of them, anyway

4. Actually I think Lemings are just not smart enough to realize they're running to their death.
    But there is one animal, which I don't really know what it is, that when put in captivity, it got distressed enough and committed suicide.
    As for the whole running-out-in-front-of-your-car thing...They just haven't learned yet. I'm sure they'll eventually evolve into creatures that know better.

5. My friend tells us that his cat committed suicide when he was younger, by hanging itself.
    Obviously we all thought this was 100% bullshit so we asked his older brother. He said what happened was, my friend put a leash on the cat and tied it to the fence (which is about 6 foot high) and when they went outside to check on it, it was hanging dead on the other side of the fence. So basically, it had jumped over the fence and the leash was too short for it to reach the floor and it died.
    He is still convinced it did it purposely though, fucking dumbass...

6. #6 Sucaeyl, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011

Technically, you're right. They don't consciously want to end their lives.
    But still, lemmings.

7. dolphins can and sometimes do commit suicide. the reason being is when they breathe they do it manually, not an automatic function like humans. so dolphins can just decide not to breathe and kill themselves. dolphins that have been depressed in captivity have done it before.

8. Haha my old neighborhood friend

9. Animals commit suicide, but my theory of why they run out in front of cars is because its a game to them. They are racing you. Its an adrenaline rush. I dont think they understand the stakes are death, but its the only explanation of why they bolt out right at the last second

10. u refer to a doc produced by disney, later revealed to be fake. the crew forced them to jump.

some animals do commit suicide, most notably sea life, whales n dolphins etc. they beach themselves for w/e reason, old age/injury

11. I think my bird committed suicide. The other bird was picking on her, so she flew straight into a wall.

12. #14 knnykdog, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Who told you that lie,I breath when I(Human) want to.

13. Then how to you breath when you sleep?
    That's why it's hard for people to commit suicide by suffocation. Especially if they're like, holding something over their head. Because once they faint due to oxygen deprivation, they let go of whatever they're holding and instantly start breathing again.

Ed: I might mention that it's funny that you emphasized the point that you're a human. Because I really was curious as to where you were standing in this argument. (;

14. i think animals know when its time to die or at least about sacrifice

15. Guinea Pigs actually commit suicide if there not happy. i remember when i was younger my little sisters Guinea Pig killed it self by not eating. reason why is my sister stoped giving him so much fruit because it was getting fat

16. #18 Verdurous, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    That's depressing.

17. Wait, what?!? :eek:

18. Because nothing in their natural habitat moves at 60mph and they are not aware of what a road is, or that it is used for vehicles that travel very rapidly.

At least I hope they don't...every since that movie "Cats and Dogs" I've had my eye on those critters...

[​IMG]