Do you think ADD/ADHD were created? Why weren't they around 60-70 years ago?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by meowtoyou, Dec 28, 2011.

1. What are your thoughts?

2. Most of the "mental" illnesses were created to push big pharma drugs IMO

Nowadays if you have trouble focusing they immediately label it as ADHD and prescribe some harmful prescription drug. Honestly I think a good diet and exercise is going to help with that type of chemical imbalance more than any drug could. That's why these "diseases" weren't around 70 years ago...people were healthier back then. Just like obesity wasn't a problem 70 years ago...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Qfv3YdnJ4]Psychiatry: An Industry of Death (1/11) - YouTube[/ame]

3. Yep, "ADHD" is just a kid being a kid. Parents who put their kids on that should be ashamed.

4. I got diagnosed last summer @ 20 years old. I personally think it exists. The thing is it did exist, it always has. It just took a while to discover. Its like people saying cancer didn't exist back in the day, but it did just most people died of other shit like the flu.
    That being said i agree that they might over prescribe it, especially to young male children who are most likely just a little rambunctious. I also agree that its not an excuse to instantly hop on a drug plan... personally im trying to take the steps to change my diet and lifestyle to optimize my focal abilities.

Its funny how few people believe in it, I constantly have to explain to people that, yes, it does exist.

5. It exists. Trust me.

I think modern-day things may be the culprit. Kids eating crap at young ages, too much tv - I have a feeling it's something along the lines of that. Or perhaps parents who smoke - who knows...

But this shit is real and it can be a serious hurdle in your life. I know it is in mine.

6. Maybe I misworded my thoughts. I wasn't saying that it doesn't exist -- I was asking if you think it was created (as I believe aids and autism were?)

7. Our minds are evolving. You know what else also want there 60 years ago? The amount and availability of knowledge and information.

8. at first i thought you guys were sugesting something silly, like they somehow inserted mental illness into the population, "poisoning the waterwhole" if you will.

but i realize that mental illnesses have no conclusive definitions, causes, or cures.

they are indeed, created, but only by naming something, something else.

i came to this conclusion not too long ago when thinking about depression.

my dad, my brother, and myself, all suffer from paranoia, and depression. meaning, we feel these emotion at all times, no matter what happens around us.

in bio lab we watched a video on genetics. they were saying manic depression is a genetic "disease", however, others say its a genetic "trait"

no gene codes for one thing, and no thing is coded for by only one gene. Therefore "trait" is the best you can do. In the case of chronic depression, it is typically assosiated with high iq, and/or high creativity. Would you remove your depression if it meant you also had to sacrifice you creativity/inteligence?

I said no, and chose to rationalize, and cope with my depression. it seems to work ok. most of the time;):mad:.

Depression, like ADHD, Blindness, Missiong of leg or other limb sydrome,. These things are just handicaps we need to overcome. just ask lance armstrong and stephen hawking:wave:

say no to antipsichotics :smoke:

9. #9 SIRSOG, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011
    Like mushroom said, the amount of info we can easily intake in the amount of time we can do it now causes sporadic problems.... I can go online and in about 10 minutes access info it would take someone weeks to find in a library 60 years ago....

Now, i think we can agree technology evolves much quicker than ourselves.... so figure in the fact some people just cant fucking handle the hussle bussle of everyday shit due to inhibitions of their brain, they become hyper active to try and keep up, but we werent EVOLVED for technology.... they have a lack of focus and cant grasp it all... if you could focus and remain hyper active, you would be considered a quick learner..... go from one topic to the next, be able to understand and grasp it, explain it, quickly move to the next.....

It all makes sense when you look at what we have made the world and how quickly we did it.... it took, what... millions of years for us to civilize populations (in terms of civilizations, not being "proper and civil" and in the last 100 years we have gone from radio's and light bulbs to LED displays blasting advertizements on the streets, 3d tv's, interactive computers, enough satellites orbiting the planet to see anything at anything, from anywhere, a particle collider that spans 27 km in length and also creates antimatter, smart phones, the internet.......

that paragraph is enough to give someone ADHD lol

10. Back when I was young(39 today) they didn't have ADD/ADHD.
    I was a hyper active kid who didn't listen or pay attention.

11. ADD/ADHD most definitely exist. Go back a hundred years and there was no such thing as cancer, autism, or AIDS. Are you saying those don't exist? They are mad man made diseases. People weren't living as long or as knowledgeable about conditions so before the disease itself was labeled it was just ignored.

12. Too much fragmented info being presented too fast to be absorbed and filed away before the next info assault...in other words, no time to peacefully ponder info presented as in earlier days... our minds are no longer ours...

13. Lotzo- cancer most certainly DID exist 100 years ago! However, diseases (influenza, pneumonia, cholera) killed a lot more, so they didn't have time to develop cancer! I do genealogy and just read a couple days ago how an ancestress of mine died of breast cancer.

And ADHD certainly does exist and existed back when I was a child! We always had a "wiggly" kid or two in class.

I do believe that using ritalin is a mistake in many cases, but not all! We have some kids at my school who are basically uncontrollable with out it! They are disruptive and sometime violent without their meds!

I think a lot of this is traceable back to the lack of Omega 3 in the modern diet!

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.
    (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endoca... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

In that abstract, it is shown that a lack of Omega 3 causes brain disfunctions, and other studies suggest that ADHD is among those disfunctions!

It seems we NEED Omega 3 to attach a small but important piece in our CB1 receptors. If the G i/o effector protein isn't attached right, the "messages" we send to our cells don't get delivered! In the brain this can lead to mental problems- in the body, defective CB1 receptors leave you open to Huntington's disease, colon cancer and more!

And if that wasn't enough, those CB1 receptors in your brain are responsible for the THC high! One of those chemical messages that the CB 1 receptor's G i/o effector protein can send to your cells is "I am STONED!"

But unless the CB1 receptor has that G i/o effector protein attached, you will not get high! For a better high, you need to take Omega 3 every day for a month or two. It takes time to replace the defective CB1 receptors with new working receptors!

Adding Omega 3 has been shown in several studies to improve the behavior (and sometimes grades) in ADHD children! Why we don't try Omega 3 as a first line defense against ADHD is beyond me! It would seem wiser to try an essential nutrient, like Omega 3, first, before trying speed-type drugs in our children!

I worry that our ADHD kids will develop a "taste" for speed!

Granny

14. ADD is just being a kid. Kids are not meant to sit in class rooms for 7 hours a day, having to wait to use the fuckin bathroom just because someone else had to take a shit 3mins earlier.
    Kids are so controlled now days, with schedule's and crap. no time just to run around outside and be a kid, no wonder they dont want to sit still. If they arnt interested in something, they arnt gonna just sit there and pretend to be, its not the way it works.

15. I've heard a lot of people talk about how ADD and ADHD are never "misdiagnosed" because there are tests that can show whether or not hormones are in balance. IMO, the problem with this logic is that people (even doctors) forget that the body adjusts its hormones based on internal and external stimuli. I think too many people mistakenly believe hormones just magically go out of whack. If a parent suspects ADD or ADHD in his or her child, I think they should take a careful look at what the child is eating, especially for breakfast and snacks, and what sort of activity the child is getting.

I conducted an unofficial experiment for a class I was taking while in high school on this subject. I asked people questions about their grades, how well they felt they could pay attention in class, and how much TV they watched during early childhood. The results were overwhelmingly predictable. Those who watched a lot of TV in early childhood had the worst grades and the least ability to pay attention.

16. #16 MelT, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011
    Just a thought, a long shot that I hope might help in some small way. Depression ran in my family and a long time ago I had continual deep bouts, some lasting months - as my father, his mother, etc, had done. After having some stomach problems I stopped eating all forms of wheat/gluten (even barley and malt) as part of a cleansing diet and the depression literally stopped within ten days. No depression, no lethargy. no dark thoughts, all gone after years of problems.

One slice of bread though, and forty minutes later I'm on a big down. The following morning it's even worse, and until about lunchtime I'm stiff, tired and life feels miserable. Just a slice of bread. People don't usually equate a dietary problem with mental effects, but they're common with gluten.

I'm not saying for one second that you are the same, I've read your post and understand what you're talking about. But I do wonder if it might be worth packing gluten in, just for the hell of it for a week, to see if that helps alleviate what you have in any way? It would be a wonderful thing if it helped you too:)

MelT

17. I wasn't saying these conditions didn't exist back then. They didn't have names and weren't recognized by most of our society.

18. This video talks about mental health in this context, among other things. Very interesting...everyone should watch it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1IwSprOWi8]Bruce Levine: The Rebel Yell (Full Length[/ame]

19. Yes it was around ages ago, just not named. If you weren't right, they'd just commit you.

20. Program children to be addicted to exciting things full of action like TV and video games.

Expect children to be able to focus on boring uneventful things like reading and math.

"We programmed them to crave excitement and complex action, why can't they focus on boring things? It can't be us, this must be a disease."

Solution =/= feed them drugs

Solution = limit access to overly stimulating things, make children use their imagination on simple toys that require imagination instead of it complex toys that require little imagination and train focus in this still fun way.

I'm not saying it's not a disease, but I feel that it is a parental/society inflicted disease more than it is naturally occuring.