Do you take care of your self?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by HappyBuds, Mar 24, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Irie67"']Stankie, I went totally organic on my lawn after the weed killer weakened my bulldogs immune system so bad that he got staff infection all over his body. They say wait till it dries before letting the dogs back in the yard and it'll be fine. Bullshit.

Congrats on the weight loss. I know that is very hard to do[/quote]

[quote name='"medical grower"']I eat super healthy for the most part, lots of fresh fruits and veggies and not much processed crap at all. I do love meat, though. Cant pass on a nice medium rare steak! But I must admit that I do drink and smoke. Since I've moved to Colorado i've cut the smoking (cigs) down by more than half.

If you want another shocker, check out what you're probably feeding your dogs and cats. A lot of dog food and dog cookies have crazy shit in them. Embalming fluid, nasty meat byproducts, even the ground remains of euthanized cats and dogs. I shit you not. When we found this out we switched out dogs food and cookies to much better stuff. Pricy, but worth it for our little four legged friend![/quote]

Has any one tried a garlic / ginger ferment on their pets? Im wondering about the potential for parasite removal? Any one try it yet?

2. #42 Stankie, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    Carbohydrates are not required for optimal health. There is no 'Recommended Daily Value', even by the USDA. They are not a required nutrient. The only reason someone's body would resort to 'cannibalism' is if they don't get the necessary amount of protein. It has nothing to do with carbs. Fat is required in the human diet. As are cholesterol and protein. Carbohydrates are not, other than fiber.

My health conditions are obviously unique. I'm not on a 'diet' to loose weight. I'm on a 'diet' to not die, and hopefully smell a little better until I finally do die. I have tried sustaining myself with 'low GI' foods. Sweet potatoes, a highly recommended low GI food, sets off my system just the same as eating straight sugar. Even 'complex carbohydrates' are digested down to pure sugar, it just takes a little longer.

3. Actually the RDA for carbohydrates is 130 grams per day. Without Carbohydrates the typical body goes into a disease like state called ketosis. Where the body has no choice but to consume fat and protein as an energy source. Technically the typical body will adapt. No carbs? whatever! use something else. No Protein? figure it out! Thats the way a normal healthy body works.

The beautifully disastrous thing about our bodies, similar to the plants we grow. They are not all alike. Growing a Ruderalis will not give a sativa like plant. Just the same as all diets are not the same for all people. And i didnt take that into consideration.

When it comes down to it, you know your body best! and if it is telling you that the way you are eating now is good, than stick to it! And i hope that things only get better and better for you! :)

4. #44 Stankie, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    Yes, I did mis-type. There are recommended daily minimums, but no required daily minimums.

I'm not trying to start a big thing, but let's continue the civil debate, eh? :wave: :) This area has been my 'focus of attention' of recent anyway. Learning, conversation, and debate are why we are all here anyway, right? Sounds like you got some opinions to toss into the collective consciousness. :poke:

I'm honestly not married to this "way of eating" (better than 'diet' ;) ) but like I said I do feel better in general over the last few weeks I have been able to stick to it. I was weary of basing my diet on what most of 'conventional medicine' scoffs at, but I don't trust most of what they say anyway. I did eat like shit through my 20's. Drinking, some pills later, and plenty of pizza and fast foods. I'm in my early 30's and have been paying for it for the last few years. I hope I made the change soon enough to let my body recover.

Ketogenesis is just another way of the body feeding itself. Ketosis generally only becomes 'disease like' in people who have Type 1. I'm no expert or registered dietitian, but I think of it pretty much as the opposite of what happens when the body turns sugar into fat. Studies are coming out that eating high sugar/carb diets can lead to cirrhosis, just like too much alcohol. I would think/deduce that the process of converting sugar to fat is maybe hard on the liver then? I know moderation is key, but most Americans get way too much. Pretty much, the way I see it, this way of living/eating is having your body turn fat into ketones for it to use, instead of having your body turn glucose into fat. Basically that's what I'm basing it on. We evolved mainly on fat/animal protein. Only for the last few thousand years have humans been carb based.

One of the most important things I have learned/read in the last few has been the importance on what type and the quality of foods eaten. In this way of eating, you cannot just eat meat primary and some veggies here and there. I try to base my diet on veggies primarily and then meat as a small secondary portion. I love meat, so that is the hard part:eek:. I've been getting better though. I already mentioned eating quality organic pasture/grass fed meats. Very important to the meat choice, is the nut/seed choice. Most quick snack are handfuls of nuts during the day. But, most nuts have high omega-6 to 3 levels and therefore are not a good choice for this diet. I have moved from eating almonds and pumpkin seeds, to hemp and chia seeds. Both contain high plant protein, high omega 3, and fiber with low carbohydrates. Also, eating plenty of extra virgin coconut oil. It is uber high in a medium chain fatty acid, lauric acid, a very rare good saturated fat (it is only found in a handful of plants (like 3) and human, goat, cow milk (in much smaller amounts)). Medium chain fats can directly feed the brain, which is the most dependent on glycogen. Lauric acid is rumored to soon be as 'main stream' important as is the current hype of omega-3's.

This way of eating is/can also be considered a 'caloric restricted diet'. Science is proving that these diets are the most effective at preventing heart disease, cancer, diabetes, alzheimers, etc. . . Sugar and Alzheimer's: Are They Linked?

Sorry, I just drank a coffee and poofed a vape, I may be all over the road here :hippie:

5. I think you have to take into account for words like carbs that covers anything from corn syrup to potatoes, to strawberries. It seems like the less processed and whole and fresh would naturally be better. Growing your own the best. And diversity of whatever we choose to eat. For instance all out protein should not come from hot dogs, like carbs some are better than others, and again the less processed better. And I think it's possible to treat specific conditions, with custom diets and herbs, and probably microbes......MIW

6. Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon or Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine by Ronald Schmid, both books are available at the Acres USA online bookstore. Their content is controversial though.

7. Simple carbs/sugars rapidly enter the blood stream. Complex carbs/starches are broken down more slowly and take more time to enter the blood. In the end, the same thing happens in the body, the only difference is the time factor. Many of the 'resistant starches' are 'carbohydrates' we cannot digest and are referred to simply as fiber, which can be readily obtained from other sources than grains and traditional starchy veggies. That's why the diet should be based on veggies and high fiber. The current RDA for fiber is thought to be about half of what it should be by knowledgeable promoters of the paleodiet. Green leafy veggies do also contain some sugar/starches in addition to fiber.
    I remember an article in Acres a few months ago, stating something to the effect; Americans would be better off juicing apples, throwing away the juice, and eating the leftover pulp simply for the benefit of the fibers/pectin. (I don't remember the issue, simply it was an article about probiotics, probably 3-4 months ago)
    The diet does allow for fresh, local, "in-season" fruits. But they are supposed to be limited and only of certain types (berries (straw- included:)), melons, papaya, grapefruit, apples...). One must consider the fruit available now has been selected and bred for many years to have the highest sugar content and to be the most tender (lowest 'roughage'/fiber content).

8. I'm not familiar with either one, to be honest.

Sprouted/fermented grains are typically allowed in a 'paleo' diet. The key is that they be 'properly prepared' which essentially reduces/rids the starches/gluten/etc levels.

Primal Diet, Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas is a good one. Controversial, I'd imagine as well.

9. #49 SeanDawg, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
    Lol I like your style Stankie! Although "debate" is not really my type of conversation. I simply like to give my personal opinion. I typically research, or in this case this info is a little old. And if presented with adequate evidence i am very much open to different opinions. Shyt with enough evidence I'll throw a John Kerry in this bad boy and flip flop all over the place lmao.

Its pretty amazing what foods can do in moderation. In moderation bad things can be good. And in excess good things can be bad!

In moderation alcohol, chocolates, coffee and others have the potential to be very much beneficial! Its in excess these foods can cause the great harm that most people know of.

In Asia, there has been cases of this wonderful food known as soy that has the been causing cancer because of excessive indulgence.

Balance - is another tough one. Just like a drug, a little can be too much for us. Just a little can be enough to take us back to the dark side of dieting. So the "cold turkey" approach helps to easily keep us away from that dark side. but if you can find balance and moderation these harmful foods still have great benefits.
    Now using our grow as another analogy. Think of the meats similar to EWC. If you have good quality foods to your worms those great foods go back into your plants. Just a thought.

I understand that it may not be for everyone. but again...
    Balance, Moderation, Variety...

10. Did that paleo diet take into consideration the times when stone age man took down a wooly mammoth and gorged / slept for many days? lol just a thought.

11. "Feeling good can be contagious", people will do about anything to help gain an edge on feeling better. It's pretty simple really, Eat good, feel good... Eat like shit feel like shit... I am a custom woodworker, it has always been said on my projects, " If you start like shit, your going to end like shit. The same thing goes for all of our gardens, if you want "ok" MJ, then go buy some " bottled nutes" but if you want good MJ then your going to need a organics, botanicals ect....
    The bottom line is in order for anything to be worth a crap, you have to believe in what your doing and know how its going to affect our life. You have to take the time for you , invest in yourself, and on the flip side people will notice your new found energy, looking good, and a better attitude. The old adage....." Smile it confuses people"

Thank you for all the inspiring reads.

12. Great thread. Growing actually made me realize I was paying more attention to their health then my own. So I started drinking only water and tea. Working out, some core and cardio. During that transition my body crashed. Got hospitalized for just being all around out of it. Was low blood sugar, low potassium, extremely dehydrated and all that water didn't dent what I needed. I switched up ny diet and quit drinking czffeneie and alcohol before that too. So it was an epic shit storm. So they hooked me to an IV and my stomachs slowly getting better. Now I take probitotics with 50 billion cfus or whatever. But I still have trouble eating in the morning without gas and stomach pains. But im glad I realized I needed to get healthier.

13. I'm gonna try to eat some kidney beans and see what happens :wave:

14. am i the only one here who eats flaxseed meal & chia seeds?

flaxseed meal is good in extra pulpy orange juice :yummy:

-OSUB

15. [quote name='"OSUB"']am i the only one here who eats flaxseed meal & chia seeds?

flaxseed meal is good in extra pulpy orange juice :yummy:

-OSUB[/quote]

You r not alone myFriend ! I eat Flax seed meal every day as dessert (Cake)

I do a Low carb diet & Love the Flax seed ! I don't miss at all the bread !

16. #56 Stankie, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    I just bought my first chia seeds last week. Really pretty good, but that goo stuff is weird. I also bought some hemp protein powder. I may buy some actual shelled hemp seeds sooner or later. The protein in hemp is really close to the exact proteins made by our blood or something. Supposed to be very easy on the system :smoking:

I also was looking around on-line last night and found a lot of local-grass fed farms. Only a few are certified organic where I live. One of the organic meat places is right by where my parents live (they don't do beef). I'm gonna have them pick up some bison and elk next time they come over :hello: I also bookmarked a site that is organic grassfed beef. I need to get a chest freezer or something.

Here is the site I used to find local grassfed meats....

Eat Wild - Find Your State

17. Shit, now I'm afraid to cut the whiskey. Nice avatar by the way.

18. Wow Thats awesome!
    I dont know how you guys are on the whole pyramid scams goin around in your town. But where i live there are like a hundred of them going on one after another. Anyway one of the scams going around were Mila.

This its a good product. but i wouldnt buy it for $40! na mean?
    how were the beans? :)

19. I totally agree with you OP. I say people have the right to do whatever they want to their own body, but I for one want to give myself natural nourishing foods. Generally I start the day with a smoothie with fresh raw kale and fruit, and try to eat as naturally as possible. I notice that if I treat my body well, it will reward me by feeling good and looking good, that beats an HFC sugar rush ANY day.

20. Hemp protein powder is awesome! I just bought a mini blender so I can make hemp + fruit smoothies in the mornings for breakfast, as I usually just eat an apple or two. Additionally, I use the hemp for protein shakes after I workout with about half skim milk and half almond milk. They taste great and are perfect for a non-bodybuilder, health-conscious guy like me. I believe it contains almost all of the essential amino acids (correct me if I'm wrong). I've found that it's not a complete protein (I think it's low in lysine) and it is definitely not as protein packed as commercial powders, but I have no problem with that. I workout to stay lean and strong, not to bulk up. I buy it organic and Nutiva, the brand I buy, even offers a high fiber version.

I'm a bit late in joining this conversation, but I've recently decided I want to scale back on my meat intake. I usually eat venison that I harvested myself or chicken breast, but I do eat beef as well (although it is usually when I go out). I was wondering if you guys could offer some easy meal ideas for a couple days during the week that could be meatless.