do you say "oh my god" and "good lord" and such

Discussion in 'General' started by Exodus2011, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Even though you are not christian?

i do it all the time, idk it's something about the words that helps express emotion

and i like doing it even tho i'm not christian (i'm agnostic)

2. yeah

but i dont say god bless you because lets be honest god isnt blessing any of us over a god damn sneeze

3. Yea, it's only words. Helps get a point across

4. "God bless you for sneezing on my couch"

never got the point of it

5. according to your post god damns sneezes instead of blessing them haha

6. No, I tend to say 'merde' and 'enculer' with far more frequency that 'mon dieu', Noone says it. Even back in England, i'd swear far more than i'd blaspheme.

As for 'bless you', a teacher told me it went back to the days when people believed illness was caused by devils and demons, so in order to wish someone a speedy recovery, 'bless you' would be said...

7. First off you don't have to be Christian to say it. There are other religions, many long before Christianity.

I'm an atheist and yes I do say Oh my God, Oh Lord, even Jesus Christ but I usually say the Christ part in a funny Scottish accent, I'm not from the UK tho.

God doesn't necessarily have to be the common deity of Abrahamic religions. God could be a force in the middle of universe. God could be a "white hole" in space (the opposite of black holes), God could be anything, existing or not. I guess saying that makes me more agnostic than atheist but I prefer to go with atheist.

8. i heard your heart stopped for a second when you sneezed so thats why people say bless you. who knows

9. yea exactly. god could be anything but i think the (sober) human mind is not able to comprehend it

and @ezav, all body functions stop while you sneeze

10. I'm Christian and say it, no ned to really put the "even though you're not Christian" part considering 90% of this forum is composed of Atheists...anyways you're heart stops when you sneeze that's where "God bless you" originated from.

11. I say Jesussssss a lot haha. When something goes wrong

12. UH anyone can say that they dont have to be christian

13. my newest saying is a variation on "jesus fuck". it's "cheezus fawk" hahaha

14. yebba . . . . . but i knew a lot of christians who got mad when someone said those dings

15. yes, it's just a figure of speech, even when religious people say it they're not actually referring to it in it's literal term.

16. try sneezing with your eyes open..you cant. therefore your eyelids are still working when you sneeze.....................

17. I also say Jesus fucking christ when something goes wrong.. It's like "Jesus fucking Christ make the fucking shot you fucking retard" And when the other team scores I say, "Jeeeeeeesusssssssss!!!"

18. i "oh my god" every once in a while...

19. haha definitely say oh my god. I'm an agnostic theist though haha
    I also say jesus some times but then it is usually when I am swearing and saying "jesus on a stick" lol