Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you really need an Ice Catcher?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by JohnLajoie, Feb 9, 2010.

1. I mean i know if you just drop the ice down you can possibly break the stem but what if you let the ice go down gently so you dont break the stem what would be the need for an ice cathcer

2. #2 LucyInTheSky17, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
    Well people use ice catchers so that their bongs have less drag. You could just put ice cubes or crushed ice into the base with the water but it makes it harder to pull the smoke out. Either way is a great way to cool down hits, but an even better way is with snow :).

3. its to cool the smoke. kinda like how i drink cold water... sure, warm gets the job done, but cool is refreshing.

4. No.. I want to use ice but bongs with ice catchers tend to cost more so im saying why cant i just put the ice where the stem is?

5. i don't quite understand what you mean.

a little ice in the water will help but it will create more drag. an ice cather will a block of ice above the water where the smoke will spend most of its time. so an ice notches are really the way to go if you're gonna use ice.

6. hahaha god no. i think ive iced my bong maybe 3 times in the last year. all it is in my view is another weak spot in the glass

7. You get what you pay for. My bong doesn't have one but I payed $50 for it and it's not bad at all. I put ice in it every time, just be careful and dont break the stem and your good. Also crushed ice from your fridge or something would make it harder to break the stem.

8. Unless you have a very strangely designed bong it won't rest there. It'll fall into the water.

Which is then the problem. Iced water bong is different from an ice bong.

I don't like too much ice. But one cube in the stem does a ton. The smoke needs to pass over it, which means it really needs to be in the tube itself.

9. god no ive used my ice catcher 3 times in the past year. all they are is a weak spot in the glass

10. that is the second time you mentioned that. That is fine but the problem is whether or not you personally prefer to put ice in your bong doesn't change the purpose of the ice notch.

That is to say you are right the ice catch serves no function if you choose not to use it. But if you want to put ice in there that answer isn't really helpful.

11. I use my ice notch religiously.