Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you need to inhale oxygen as well as weed smoke for it to affect you?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tomboarseface, Aug 18, 2011.

1. I mean, otherwise we wouldn't have carb holes on bongs and shit. Otherwise we wouldn't inhale oxygen after toking a joint or carbless pipe?

Is the oxygen to get the smoke down into your lungs, or to do something whilst its in there?

2. Does it affect you when you breathe...?

3. I see it as pushing all the smoke in your mouth and throat into your lungs, and the smoke in your lungs further into your lungs, oxygen doesn't have any special effect on weed except being a crucial ingredient in its combustion, but you don't want that happening in your lungs

4. wtf man are you high

5. #5 mr puffer 420, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Quite... Why do you ask? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. the carb hole is just so you can quickly release the entire load into your lungs, otherwise it would be a real pain to take and you would have wasted smoke in the bong.

7. i usually tell new smokers to inhale a little air after the bud but it's definitely not to add oxygen, its because most new smokers just fill up their mouth and when they breathe normal air it forces that smoke into their lungs.

as far as carb holes, lets you clear the smoke from your bowl, just like pulling the slide on a bong lets you clear that

8. The oxygen helps you not cough your lungs up.

9. ^ true that, if i feel a cough coming i take in a little extra air instead of trying to get the smoke out. Nothings worse than coughing before you can get all the smoke out

10. Considering oxygen is necessary for smoke to exist in the first place, yes, it does affect you.

11. Yes but I'm talking about the extra oxygen you inhale, not the oxygen used for combustion

12. It also helps beginners, people that don't know how to toke properly take the smoke into their longs. In other words - it helps new people to toke correctly :) :smoke: That doesn't mean you can't do it, just helps that THC get to your lungs :p

13. His point is that oxygen doesn't make you higher with weed otherwise after smoking a bowl you'd progressively get higher with every breath of oxygen. I think.

14. #14 mr puffer 420, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Thats exactly what i meant... Except i had just finished a bowl. :p

15. #15 Izumi247, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
    oxygen doesn't effect weed at all. it does assist with the combustion, but thats about it.

on that note, higher-concentrations of oxygen in the air will help you hold your breath longer since you won't have to breathe as much to get more o2. either that, or take deep breaths before taking the hit so your body has stored oxygen.

16. i thought theres no drug talk onm this forum apart from weed? oxygens my favorite drug n all but u guys need to hush hush

17. .....I seriously want to slap you.

18. the reason that some people inhale oxygen after smoking is because all smoke including marijuana, tobacco, incense,charcoal anything contains carbon monoxide which is extremely toxic in large concentration but in lower concentration, like weed, it simply slows you down. what it does is when you inhale it it gets into your blood stream where it attaches to your red blood cells and limits there ability to absorb oxygen and then release it to your organs. so some people like to take a shot of pure oxygen to re-oxygenate there blood and prevent lightheadedness, headaches, dizziness, or passing out. the effects of carbon monoxide can last a week or simply never go away for a daily smoker. while the effects are long lasting they are not permanent because your body constantly is renewing your supply of fresh blood cells from your bone marrow.

19. I don't know anyone that inhales after they smoke because they are scared about carbon monoxide... This seems like complete bullshit.

20. I'm pretty sure it helps to inhale oxygen because when there's oxygen in your lungs it enters your blood stream with the thc as opposed to when your lungs are filled with only smoke and your body doesn't try to absorb as much