Do you NEED an ash catcher?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by JESUSgotNAILED, Nov 25, 2010.

1. I will be buying my first bong on the 29th when the sale starts here in the City, and plan on probably getting this one: Percolator Bong Ice - 'Black Leaf' amber - Beaker Base - English - Grasscity.com (I don't like the flaming skull logo but oh well)

I have a question though. Do you NEED an ash catcher, because they seem fairly expensive. It won't damage the bong if ash and such gets sucked through the down stem, right? I will just have to rinse it out? I want to know if I can hold on with buying an ice catcher for a couple months? Thanks

2. Buying a pre-cooler would be better as it serves the same purpose.

By having a pre-cooler you cool the smoke through water, then down to your bong's water.
    It also keeps you from having to wash out your bong over and over from the resin being collected.

I mean, I'd personally want to only have to wash out a little pre-cooler than my whole bong.

3. Nope, ash catchers are not a requirement. They're just nice to have. :p

4. Pre cooler? That is what's sticking out of the downstem here right? I don't like the look of those at all. I would of gotten that bong if it didn't have one attached, actually.

So, if I don't have an ash catcher nor pre cooler, what am I facing? Ashes in the bong, are they hard to get out? Does having a percolator in the bong make it even harder to rinse the crap out?

5. its fairly easy to rinse a bong out with iso alcohol and epsom salt
    but its annoying having to buy a new bottle of iso every two cleanings

i still dont have an ash catcher yet though but i plan on buying a cheap inline from etsy sometime soon

6. This is a pre-cooler that's shaped differently.

http://www.grasscity.com/img/products/bottle_neck_pre_cooler_t1.jpg

7. And that just attaches to the downstem? I think I will pass on a precooler for now, but that one looks much better than the other precooler look.

Bongs are somewhat confusing now man, there are so many different addons and attachments for them now, jeez.

Yeah, that's what I'm not looking forward to. Using a whole bottle of ISO every couple cleanings, though I don't plan on cleaning it after every single time I use it (can't, not with the bud I smoke :p). What is an inline?

8. [​IMG]

9. You dont NEED one, but pieces like that make my eyes cringe

10. ehle is sooo classy.
    and if you pass the bong around, some people are totally for having an ashcatcher/precooler.

11. You're talking about the inline? Yeah, don't want that neither. How would I attach an ash catcher to my bong, if I were to order one down the line?

12. attach gong joint to gong joint.

ever see the toro circ ashcatchers?
    or the Sgw circs?
    or the 6 tree fixed stem wicked sands?
    or a worked ssfg inline
    or the glassmansdoll showerhead ashcatcher
    and so on and so on.

13. No, your bong with a flaming skull

14. You don't need it, but it helps with keeping your tube clean...
    With A/C once in two weeks
    without : once a week
    that's how much (how seldom?) I clean my tubes.

15. O lawdy I was already planning on taking the skull sticker off :wave:

16. I just put a metal screen into my slider. keeps ashes from getting into the bong and i don't have to buy an a/c. unless there's something I'm missing about this concept

17. it wouldnt have a downstem for water if it was only used to catch ash.
    a decently made ashcatcher will cool the smoke down, without changing the hit.