Do you listen to albums as albums?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Highbinder, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Because the majority of the time I won't, not since I got iTunes, anyway. The genius function is just too handy!

Subquestion; My dilema is I'm starting to get to the point where I have a lot of music, I'm at about 110gig, and a lot of it I haven't "absorbed" yet. There are some albums I have that I only like a couple of songs from, should I delete the songs I don't listen to from the albums or just leave them whole?

2. Shit dude, I thought you were talking about albums, like vinyl albums lol. I feel so farkin old lol
    Yea if theres a bunch of crap Ill never listen to, and I need the room, Ill take out some songs.

3. Yeah dude, it's really the only way I listen to music. Gotta listen to them all the way through; do you read a book starting from the middle and leave it unfinished?

4. if you need to free up space i would do it otherwise i like to keep my full albums

5. just skip the songs you dont like until you start to like them more

6. the first time i ever sit down on my own time to listen to an album.. yes, i´ll listen to it start to finish.. over a few bowls.

but most of the time, i´ll just pick the songs i want, or shuffle.. or make mix CDs...

and it happens plenty where i hear a track or two from an album i haven´t heard before i have the opportunity to check out the full album.

7. Dude listening to the full album is the way to go.
    Don't delete the songs you don't listen to, you will regret it.

8. I only listen to full albums unless I am only showing someone a certain song or trying to remember what a certain band/project is. :p Rarely do I find the need to skip any song either.

9. usually i'll sample it, and if i like what i hear i'll listen to the full thing.

10. You gotta listen to the whole album, i hate when i pick up a friends iPod and they only have a couple songs per artist, gets irritating

11. personally, i still like buying cd's.
    if i like a band i wanna learn their albums in all their entirety,
    really KNOW the band, ya know

:)

12. i totally agree. some of my friends scourer the interwebs for new music and then forward their finds to me, and i'll take a listen and sometimes i get into the band but i don't know how some people can listen to sooo much of the music out today.

i'll go through periods where i'll listen to the same few albums all week.

13. Exactly! I do the same thing!! where all I'll listen to is certain albums over and over.

14. OM NOM NOM!

[​IMG]

Yeah I prefer to listen to whole albums... I'm a Pink Floyd fan afterall, it's a must.

15. I love new music, and when I find a band I am really diggin, I will definitely get their album(s) and give them a whirl. Some albums tell stories, some you just see the talent of artist, etc... So much to look for when you are listening to music. I also love comparing and contrasting albums bands have made previously. So definitely. If you like the band and you have their albums, keep them.

16. if its an artist i like, i go out and support the album and buy it and then listen to it over some smoke sessions haha

17. Fuck no. When I first got to music buying age, that was the dawn of Napster and free mp3s. When napster first came out I got SO much awesome music for free - I couldn't go back to purchasing albums. I went about 10 years without actually buying albums. The Illegal MP3 market doesn't really feature non 'hits' and I've been conditioned to just skip to the songs that I like on a CD. There are only a few albums that I like every song on the track.

This is one
    [​IMG]

This is another
    [​IMG]

and another
    [​IMG]

18. yeah dude. albums. I for one am against the digital download era because it allows the consumer to buy just one or a few songs. Although that one song is a work of art, the entire album itself as well as the artwork included with it and cd art when you buy it is the band's full artistic intention.

You likely only dislike the songs because you haven't heard them enough. If you like the artist enough for even one of their songs give their others a chance, they could be the best songs you under appreciate.