Do you know alot about planes?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Classy Man, May 29, 2012.

1. If so...can you please explain to me what this is?

Please dont say contrails...I know what those are, and its not this.

Theres plenty of videos on youtube about this, but ive never seen one this close till now..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q28dQaaLQGQ&feature=related]Pilot Films Plane Spraying Chemtrails - YouTube[/ame]

2. Looks like they performed a tank purge before coming in for a landing. Either that or it's a gubment plot to turn us all into zombies......

3. #3 cball, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  4. Those are DEFINITELY not wingtip vortices. I've seen those in real life multiple times from the wing of my own plane.

That is a KC-10 tanker, and he's dumping fuel. He was probably MUCH too heavy to perform a safe landing so he needed to dump. Every plane whose MTOW is higher than its MLW is equipped with fuel dumping equipment. They do this in cases of emergency where they must immediately return to the airport, but are too heavy to land. It also occurs in other situations such as training, or just general lightening of the aircraft if the landing gear are worn/damaged/etc.

5. hmm...well, nice info! :D

BUT I have to ask, how the fuck is it the plane can take off with that weight but not land...and just how much fuel is being wasted by the airlines and military...because the planes are not built to land when fueled...:confused:

6. Dumping fuel isn't an extraordinary common practice, so not too much fuel is being wasted.

Also, most larger planes can't land with the same weight they can take-off. This is because the landing gear can't take the stress of a -150FPM + landing with all that weight, all though they can hold a significant amount of fuel for long range operations. Also, it gets more detailed than that. Approach speeds at that weight are significantly higher (for a 747 it's about 145kts usually, but at MTOW it'd be around 170kts), which is also horrific for the landing gear. Not only that, but to maintain such a speed on approach, the angle of attack is rather high which increases the risk of a stall. Take-off is just a matter of enough thrust, no shocking stress to the gear.

7. cool just what i was looking for. so you think all the "chemtrails" can be debunked with this info? would this fuel dump be visible from the ground as "chemtrails"?

8. I don't think all "chemtrails" can be debunked with this. I'd venture to say 99% of the time, fuel dumping is done high in altitude in order for the fuel to dissipate before reaching the ground. This height is nothing like a plane being at cruise that many videos of "chemtrails" show... There are a lot of strange aerodynamic phenomena that occur with or in or around the presence of moisture and that can debunk a TON of "chemtrails."

9. I hate planes they scare the shit out of me

10. Me to , been watching to much air crash investgaions!

11. lol were you the dude at the beginning. The plane looks nice as fuck. Van Nuys valley flyers field perhaps