Do you have to pay the emergency room?

Discussion in 'General' started by lindsay711, Feb 8, 2014.

1. you can get it put on a payment plan were you can just pay 5-25 a month for a really long time. and as long as you make the minimum payment, your credit won't get worse. thats something you really don't want to happen. it effects everything in your life. 

and about your job situation I'm a unemployed college student haha. i do surveys at this place near me were you go and do a survey and you get a 200$ visa gift card for everyone. you should try to find something in your area. the one i go to is a national company. 

i hope everything works out

2. Yeah you gotta pay, what do you think?

I don't pay, no one pays where I am from.

4. That sounds high if you didnt get a ct scan or anything...should only be a grand or 2 if that

In the end you pay.

6. nope

Tax wise .

8. ok u got me

Yes, but the OP was asking if they would have to pay a fee if they went to an emergency room. The answer to that depends on where you live.

10. People without insurance are usually given discounted prices, actually. Insurance is why healthcare prices are so high in the first place, the price tag supports both the healthcare and health insurance industries (not to mention malpractice suits).

OP, call the hospital and talk it out with them. The bill does sound rather high for what was done, ask for a list (a receipt, basically) of procedures performed while you were in the ER. Sometimes things that weren't actually done end up on there. Ask about reduced prices for people who are uninsured (I once saved myself $1200 by doing this, all I had to is ask), and extended payment plans. You might end up paying twenty bucks a month for years, but that's still preferable to being turned over to a collection agency. Look further into signing up for Medicaid, and/or whatever tax-funded health insurance might be in your state.

And for future reference, avoid the ER if at all possible. Walk-in and urgent care clinics are far cheaper, and quicker. Most urban areas also have free or discount clinics available. Do your homework, and you can save yourself quite a bit of money and sanity.

Nothing comes without a price tag. Your friend sounds like the kinda person who would ignore the money they owe because the bill stopped coming to their address :p

11. set up a payment plan. I had to do this for a $2000 plus bill. Took me almost 5 years to pay off but i did it.

12. Like I said, before you start some sort of payment plan, call and find out if they have a charity program. If they do, you will more than likely qualify (no job, no insurance), and they will either pay all of your bill or most of it.

13. Your credit will quickly drop, and/or you will be sued for the bill. That often takes years, but the emergency room certainly isn't a free clinic.

14. Yeah, I don't know what to say.... You have to pay for the ER, and it's more expensive bc it's an "emergency".......

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. you don't haaaaave to pay but your credits going to be straight fucked

16. #39 patriofarmer, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Yeah don't take a stoner mentality concerning this.  Ignoring it will do nothing.  Some great posts concerning your credit score and the implications of sullying it on page 1.  Collection issues and liens are the top lines on your credit report, not good to have at all.  From the sounds of it, this will be the only thing on your credit report.

You need to address this, there are always options they present you with.

I hate to say it but I do agree, you need to pay your bills in life.  Having no job is no excuse, there is a reason we have jobs after all...and it isn't for love of the game.  Money is important.

I'm not sure how things work in the US, but one thing I would advise is to only ever put communication in writing. Companies can be shockingly bad with phone calls. They say they are there to help but I have had some really intimidating phone calls where I have been trying to arrange payments and they basically will say anything (even break the law with false threats) in order to bully you into giving them what you don't have. Could you write to them and explain your situation? I'm not sure how much help that would be but sometimes ignoring these things doesn't make them go away and it can add charges to how much you owe.

On another note I'm sorry that it's cost so much. I feel quite privileged that I have only ever had to pay for my prescriptions and even they are at a limited cost per item. I hope this gets cleared up for you soon.