Do you have an inner monologue?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by VikingToker, Jun 8, 2022.

?

Do you have an inner monologue

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I recently discovered that up to half of all people don't have an inner monologue.

When I first heard it, it terrified me. I thought everyone had this inner monologue; it's how I think, I sort of run through my thoughts like a conversation with myself.

https://hurlburt.faculty.unlv.edu/hurlburt-heavey-2018.pdf

So, do you? Don't you? If you don't, what are your thoughts like? If you have to think about an important issue, how do you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I generally have an inner monologue going. But we got into an argument the other day and he refuses to speak anything but Basque now. The bastard knows that I don't speak Basque.

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Not only will the bastard not stop running his mouth when he isn't chattering he plays music. If I'm awake there is music playing in my head.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Can't tell if this is a joke or not, enlighten me, you really hear music?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Yes sir. Non stop. I have to be careful of what gets input as well as it has an auto repeat function and I really detest most of todays offerings. 1930 to 1985 is my preferred range.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. God damn man. Brutal. I have tinnitus so I have a whine I can't turn off, but I'd rather have that than full-on music.

• Like Like x 1
  7. At least it is in full Stereo if recorded that way.. :) If it was all in Mono it might be more annoying then it is. The wife will catch me nodding my head and say "OK what is playing now?". And I'll start to sing along with it. :)

BNW

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mine won't shut the fuck up,ever.
    Keeps me up at night over the most minute trivia and plays music also.
    Songs that won't get out of my head until I put it in my wifes........then the next one starts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1

9. Here now today's selection can be in yours to!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. I follow you, those things can really activate some thought paths that weren't there before.

I don't have the proof on me, but I think that's scientifically proven too. Those things you mentioned are used for healing minds.

That said, dude, you gotta edit this post. I see you're new here - the only substance we're allowed to discuss here is the green one. So you gotta edit those other ones out or this post gets deleted by a mod and we lose the rest of the insight.

So how do you think? That's what I wanna know. I think in words, sentences, speech and images/film.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Surprising to me that as well that more people don't have this going on, but for me its slightly different as a compulsive.

The monoluge never stops, and its like a stereotypical bitchy wife.
    "You still have invoices to submit"
    "There are still bids you could be pursuing"
    "There are still emails, posts, conversations unfinished"
    "you need to....you need to...you need to...."

For me,weed helps me see how much of that inner voice is bullshit, and willingly give up things I might otherwise be compelled to do (clean shit that dosen't need cleaning) in favor of my mental health.

Its been 2 years and although life is still trying, I'm significantly happier when the weed puts things in perspective

• Like Like x 2
  12. What it did for me was slow the 'thought tornado' down. I had a real problem with thinking too fast, and too much at once. It was chaotic, exhausting, and made it really hard to focus. No peace, jumping from one issue to the next.

Weed really helped me slow that shit down so I could spend more time with each individual thought.

Still, though, everyone here has some kind of inner dialogue. I really want to know what it's like for those without it!

13. I have a soundtrack going about half the time, and monologue the other half.
    The playlist is frustratingly short; tends to be a single song for weeks or months at a time.
    Unlike BNW though, my playlist, though short, is modern! Lots of glitch hop and dubstep, though one could argue that dubstep is no longer modern.

• Like Like x 3
  14. I suppose? I have conversations with myself in my head that usually leads me to question what I’m outwardly saying most of the time.

I replay conversations to critique them

I parrot music a lot, even if I didn’t notice music playing I may start singing it later on, and my friends would be like oh that’s the song that was playing in the store we just left.

I replay movie scenes in my mind alot or imagine scenarios

if I have a speech or presentation I go over it in my head etc.

• Like Like x 3
  15. That sounds brutal. How is it for you, though? The music, specifically.

Dubstep is modern as fuck compared to BnW's selection, yeah. :laughing: Not a lot of wobble bass in the 30's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Yeah, similar to me, just less of the music. I'm sure you do the same as me and truncate a lot of the conversation, too, yes? For example, when reading your post, I was thinking of what I'm typing right now - which is a monologue, just written down. Even this part that I'm writing now, complete with the commas in the middle of the sentence here, popped up.

But I didn't think of it at the pace I'm typing, or at the pace I'd be speaking it to you if GC was a bar. It gets condensed and happens in a fraction of the time. That must be the same for you, and for most everyone. Which in and of itself is pretty fascinating.

This is what I thought everyone had.

17. Similar, I often evaluate people I meet in real time while talking to them or things, of just collecting data on my surroundings and situational awareness, something like this but way less cool.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. That had me laughing. Yeah, me too.

I got a little extra of it. I grew up around the world, dude - when I left home after high school I'd lived on 3 different continents and gone to school in 6 different countries.

Imagine being the new kid in class every year from age 5 to age 17 in completely different cultures. You get wicked good social sensors. Gotta judge up so many times - who here is friendly, who can I talk to, who's smart, who's mean, who's the dominant person I have to befriend or challenge, who's a good diplomat, who's dangerous, who can unite, who can mock, all these things.

So yeah dude that terminator meme hit the spot. :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeah, my inner dialog is like a basket of unfolded laundy, a chotic bundle of little use or reason.
    I spit my monologue out onto a piece of paper, I write it down, so I can see it with my eyes. When I write it down, it leaves the thought tank more or less and adds clarity and priority to the thought.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I have to because if I said 1/10th of what I'm thinking I'd get arrested everyday...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1