Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do You Have A Card?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Rasta Mon, Nov 19, 2008.

1. i've had my recommendation for awhile and i was thinking about getting my card because i thought they would only be like 10 bucks and be a lot better when dealing with cops. but they are like 125 bucks and i dont really see the point of it. is there any?

2. You mean a state/country card?

Yeah... I understand how they can make it so cops know immediately if it is legit. Thats good. But registering my name and information with the state sounds scary... i'm going to wait a few months and see how things roll over with other patients and the card.
    The DA guidelines released not long ago ask patients to start doing this, my dispensary asked me to do it as well (didnt tell me just recommended I do). I'll be getting one if they turn out to work properly with the cops.

3. haha, I love the crazy rules you got out there.

I know that alot of people really do use it for real medicine, but it seems like alot of people just take advantage of the medical system to get grass.

Its a shame that they have to do that. If it is that easy, when can we just open up a freakin shop to everyone?!

4. agreed bro haha

5. hamline
    a lot of people abuse the system
    but every system gets abused
    wether someone wants to get oxycontin, get a fake i.d., steal someones identity or wutever
    there really is no way to stop it
    i really don't like some of the doctors out there though
    that just care about getting the money
    and the people who do abuse this system
    it pisses me off that it may affect me and other patients just because they want to legally smoke weed

6. I'm not trying to say that everyone abuses it.

Its just a shame that people abuse any good wishing system. Stupid people :p

7. oh
    i wasnt saying u were wrong
    i totally agree with you

8. It deosnt really make me very angry. In my primary doctor's opinion, hed rather have me on sleeping aids every night and something like valium or xanax for the day. Personally id rather avoid prescription drugs when weed can help just as much.

Though i think its stupid people make such a big deal of ppl making up stuff to get a card. Sure there are legitimate people with serious medical conditions, but this stuff should be legal to all adults in the first place. I dont like it when dealers get a card and deal though.

9. i agree. i get so tired of people complaining about people "abusing the system". in california, the medical marijuana laws were written so that people who's lives marijuana has a positive affect on can legally get it. i have my recommendation, and i recommend to any of my friends that want to legally be able to buy/smoke marijuana that they should get their card too.

10. Isnt this thread about state/county ID cards?

Anyway, any anger towards patients "abusing" the system is misplaced.
    You should really be angry at the door man of this club- the doctors. They're the ones who decide whos in and whos out, and when you see an idiot stoner patient, remember a doctor signed a paper recommeding him to this program.

11. oh yeah, I'm not saying its the people themselves.

They couldnt abuse the system without a few corrupt doctors.

I wish it was legal everywhere to everyone, but its not. And abusing a health system is just low. People actually need it, but others just wanna get high.

haha, I dont know where I stand on this topic, can you tell :p

12. can someone just answer my question?

13. One possession of <1 oz ticket would cost more than the $125 I'm pretty sure...

If you have something legitimate, go for it.

I've had MMJ for the last year and somethin, and it's been great. No worries about possessing my medicine.

14. It's $100 for possession of an ounce or less.

15. The State ID card is actually $163 and that's in addition to your recommendation. They do NOT have your name on the card itself, just your picture, an ID number and the state seal. If you are stopped by a police officer while in possession of meds and you have your card with you, they are to let you go period. It's the ultimate protection. Your recommendation is important, but many LEOs won't bother to even try to verify your recommendation, they'll just confiscate your meds and issue you a ticket. You then would have to go to court with your recommendation, they'll verify it and then you get your ticket thrown out and you should be able to get your meds back. BUT you have to go through the hassle of court.

If you travel a LOT and keep your meds with you, then it's a must. If you're a grower or supplier of edibles, then you absolutely need one to save your skin.

If you're a regular patient and don't usually carry meds on your person, then I wouldn't bother. Me, I don't have one, but I kind of want to get one.

Oh and there's a trick to it too. Your card is good for one year from the day you get it. If you get your card close to the date your recommendation expires, then you're good for another year basically. You don't have to renew your recommendation once your card is in place, though you will have to renew one or the other at the end of that year that your card is good for.

As for the authorities having your information and knowing you're a patient, I don't really see the big deal to be honest. HIPPA covers your medical records including the fact that a doctor has given you a recommendation, so LEGALLY there is NOTHING that the state authorities can do with that information that wouldn't be a violation of the HIPPA law. So the can't turn that information over to ANYONE without being in violation of the law themselves.

16. and a misdemenor conviction on your arrest record. Personally, my arrest record is 100% clean (knock on wood), and I'd like to keep it that way.

A drug conviction, even a misdemenor is not cool

17. #17 norcalstoner, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
    Eh my roommate wasn't worried, he was more disappointed over the 8th of Strawberry Cough and the 1g of Bubble Hash that got confiscated.:eek:

At court, it was even more devastating to hear about a grown mother who was being prosecuted for possessing 1g for her Crohn's, but she did not have a recommendation. What was worse, CPS was investigating and if anyone knows, even Medical Marijuana use is still drug abuse to the CPS, so they will take your kids. This woman looked as if she was left with nothing in the world standing in that courtroom.

18. I have a county card, but it's more for instant verification at the dispensaries than anything (my doctor's office doesn't have 24-hr verification service). I've been caught with weed before I got my rec, so the cops don't scare me.

19. In Calif., your recommendation from the doctor is all you need to be legal.
    The state ID program is voluntary, and doesn't make you any more legal.
    Oddly, it's a state ID, but each county seems to charge a different price for one. If they were a reasonably priced thing, I'd get one, but they're not.
    Why do they charge so much, I wonder?
    Plus, then you are registered in the state and county.
    You cannot trust local law! I don't care what you think, you just can't.

The state ID program is merely there to try to generate more state revenue.

Breakdown of "cards":
    1. Recommendation = legal document for you to use, purchase, grow, and transport cannabis in Calif., Prop. 215.

2. State ID card, gotten through your county health Dept. = state generated revenue ploy, which puts you on a list.

3. Club Verification card = a card you pay for which verifies that you are a patient. OCBC was such a card. These are not necessary, by law, but some shops in certain areas ask for them. If you don't frequent those clubs, then you don't need one.

4. Club cards = a card that an individual club issues, so that they don't have to verify you each time you go there. . .I guess.

Again, by law, all you need is your doctor's recommendation.

20. Cannabis has been proven to be not only an effective treatment for disease people already have, but an effective preventative measure against diseases. Thus everyone has a right to use cannabis for medicinal purposes in my opinion.