Do you guys tie your plants up for support?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheDentHead, Sep 26, 2013.

1. A friend of mine insists that I need to tie up my branches using bamboo sticks and green wire. Just curious if this is something most people do, and if it really is gonna effect my yield.

2. if cola becomes to heavy i'll tie some string to a screw in the wall, just to keep it from falling over. your braches will grow enough to support the weight from the buds, though.

it'd be more about opening the plant to allow better light penetration. lst. check some of the stickies here

3. I've had buds that could break branches if I didn't tie them up.

While I don't condone bondage, these ladies don't mind, as they'd literally die without it.

4. Yes, tie them up or they will get so heavy, that they will fall over and snap.

And about that bondage....I used to tie my buds to the bedposts and then we have us some funnnnn.....

5. guess it depends on the situation. never had an issue here. I mean, if it looks like it may need some assistance, you shouldn't ignore it. just sayin it's not absolutely necessary for every plant

6. I've found that it's largely dependent on strain/genetics.  I have two plants, of the same lineage, one has incredibly strong stems that make it difficult to even pull off a fan leaf.  It stands right up, and holds huge bud structures.  Her sister has very "rubbery" stems that don't necessarily break easily, but the bend over under weight of her buds.   They both produce top notch weed, but one has to be staked up, and the other doesn't.

7. LST, bamboo sticks, and green wire. Week 6 of 10. Yielded 5+ zips.

IMG_1402 (800x600).jpg

8. #9 tdf, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    I start with a peony cage. (shorter but larger around than a tomato cage) then as needed I use bamboo stakes tying with green plastic tape. All of this you can get at a garden center.
    It all depends on plant height and genetics. My Flav finishes at 5' to 6'. It always needs caged and staked. My blueberry when it finishes at 5' to 6' it needs both cage and stake, but when it finishes at 4' it only needs the cage. My LACon. even at 6' only needs a stake, no cage because it grows straight up.

It's the last two weeks is when the buds seem to need the most support. Sometimes I don't stake untill then.

9. Outdoor yes...indoor not usually...

10. The branches would be strong enough where it matters. The plants are whipped by wind and by flower have thick trunks and branches, I have no doubt that many growers do not have any choice beside to tie the.