Do you guys think this space will be adequate?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by noobguy702, Jun 24, 2015.

1. I just put this together and I know all the foil looks like shit but I couldn't find any mylar or winsheild sun visors for cheap. Anyways, my question is do you guys think this will be adequate space for two autoflower northern lights.? Water bottle for scale. I plan on redoing the inside with mylar once I order some and I still have a bit more tweaking to do with the box anyway. I just needed to get it up quick for my two seedlings that are trying to recover from neem oil burn. Any advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. #2 AskDoctorGrow, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
    It looks a little small for two plants. You probably won't get very much yield out of the space that size. We have used spaces that small to start seedlings. But we have never used a space that small to flower out the plants. Most auto flowers can be made to grow short, but they can also get bushy due to having ruderalis in their genetics.

If you could build a box that is at least 2' x 3' wide and at least 3 feet tall, you might do a little better with your two plants. Or if you have a small closet that you could paint white on the inside and hang a light in there, that would be ideal. If you have a small box or if it's a very small closet, don't use HPS or HID or other lights that get really hot, due to fire danger.

Keep in mind that with auto flowers you have to plant the seeds in the same pot they are going to finish in. With regular cannabis, you start out in a small pot and gradually transplant into larger pots as the plant gets bigger. That doesn't work with auto flowers.

Is that a light at the top of the pic? If not, where will you put your light?

What kind of light do you plan to use? How many lumens?

How do you intend to make sure the light won't be too close to the plants and burn them?

At Doctor Grow®, we are not big fans of using foil (or Mylar) for reflectivity. A bright white surface reflects better than either foil or Mylar. Painting surfaces a very bright white such as "ceiling white" provides a really good reflectivity. (And it's a lot cheaper and lasts longer than Mylar.) However, since you are using the large plastic tub, foil may be your only option because it's difficult to paint that kind of plastic.

Good luck with your grow!

3. Thank you for your reply.! I have 4 85 watt daylight cfls on the way for veg. I am most likely going to rig something up where the light will be at the top of the box and capability to be raised or lowered. Right now the clamp lights are just clamped on the side shining in.
    Also, I'm using a FFOF mixture in my soil which I heard can burn new seedlings. My plan was to start in a jiffy pot of my soil mixed with regular soil and when it is a few days older transplant the entire jiffy pot into the finishing pot since it will disintegrate. I also plan to to apply alot of LST to my auto in order to avoid it outgrowing the box.

4. Remove the aluminum foil and paint it a flat white. The foil will end up burning your plants.