Do you guys hear sound in your dreams?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by BazarBaggie, Dec 26, 2011.

1. I was looking at thisman.org > theories and one bit said

"This is the reason why his indications and the words he utters during the dreams should be decidedly followed by the dreamers"

then I thought about the dreams I've had, and realised none of the dreams I've ever had in my whole entire life have ever had sound in them. Like a silent movie. I just wondered, do you guys hear things in your dreams? Talk to people? Or are they completely silent?

2. My dreams definitely have sound. I distinctly remember as a little kid having a dream about "the abominable snowman" from the Rudolf Christmas movie, and he let out a roar and I wokeup in terror and could still hear it roaring for a few seconds after I had awakened.

But yeah, lots of sound in my dreams, even music. I've kicked freestyles that were crazy good in a couple dreams lmao.

3. There's always sound from what I can remember of my dreams. Lot's of talking to people as well.

4. #4 narcissistic, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
    All silent.
    Any audio in my dreams will awake me & is always synchronized with reality.
    Its if my mind is still somehow conscious of reality and can predict events ahead of time & tie them in with my dreams while i sleep.
    For instance , in a split second before my dog actually barks to wake me up .....my unrelated dream will make a sudden & complete change to accommodate what is about to actually happen.
    My dog will quickly be somehow integrated into my dream no matter what is happening at the time. The bark will be the the only sound that I hear in the dream & will be synchronized with reality. I will wake up to find my dog looking at me waiting for my response to her bark.
    Same thing used to happen when mom used to wake me up in the morning for school or with any other audio I hear that wakes me up, whatever it might be.
    I never understood it but just assumed it is normal for everybody & have never mentioned it or bothered to ask anybody else.

5. That is normal. Dreams take place at a much faster rate than what we would expect by how they feel. We also dream far more than we remember. But what happens is when you aren't in a deep sleep then hearing a noise like a dog bark will integrate itself in the dream, but when you wake up you know where it came from.

6. I always seem to have a soundtrack during lucid dreams.

This song, for example, was playing when I was being chased by midget White Mages in snow.
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/White_Mage_(Final_Fantasy)[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQSY3dOFo90&feature=related]Menomena - E. Is Stable - YouTube[/ame]

7. yup, i can hear everything... i got very detailed dreams, and i can remember little details about em.. like a lot of times i wake up and think that shit really happened..one time i hid money in my dream, woke up in the morning and thought i was rich.. ran to the hiding spot and opened it up.. and was like o yeah i was dreammn... i kept faded in n out of sleep last night, i had a few dreams of getting arrested, 2 of getting fired, and 1 of wrecking my car( id wake up in btwn each dream cuz i was scared,i can still hear the sound of me wrecking). everytime i tried to turn my car it would slide and my brakes wouldnt work, i was just sliding around random streets ive been on at random times throughout my life..it was like i was on ice and just had no control and i kept seeing cops everywhere and hearing that BWOOP BWOOP noise right when they hit there sirens and then finally i hit a little building with security guards in it, so i tried to run but my legs were heavy..finnally i got up and ran to my friends and went in his roomates room and they were hypodermic needles everywhere and i kept getting pricked by em (i hate needles) and it made this little noise everytime they touched my skin. i remember em all.. its wierd..

8. Mine do, at least most of them. It blows my mind that the brain can do all that; I remember a dream where the cops had surrounded a friend and I. I reached into my pocket to make sure I was clean. But, with no visual, I could feel my pipe, its shape, its smooth exterior as you slide your finger against it, all of it the brain was able to reproduce convincingly.

9. I literally just woke up from a weird dream. I was confessing everything that I've been struggling with lately to a friend. We were talking and there was definitely sound. Very weird that you don't have sound in any of your dreams. I've had silent dreams before though.

I wonder if naturally born deaf people have sound in their dreams?
    Or what blind people dream!

10. no, and blind people will dream in whatever form their thoughts take during consciousness. their sensory input without sight or hearing is much different than ours would be with our ears plugged or blindfolds on. their other senses would be heightened to somehow make up for the one they're missing.

unless of course they could see or hear for part of their life.

but dreams are experience based.

anyway.. back on topic - all of my senses are present in my dreams.

11. i bet blind people can see in their dreams in a way that it could be put onto a movie screen.just like some of our dreams can.
    what they would see I don't know. It wud prolly be very crazy.
    but that's just what i like to believe. i guess I should ask a blind person.

i definitely have sound in my dreams as well, OP.

12. It's not that your hearing sounds, your brain actually made it all up!

13. like i said.. they wouldnt "see" the way we think of seeing. they wouldn't perceive light in their dreams. their vision is built into their other senses. sort of like how bats can use their echolocation as their sight. perhaps to a lesser degree.. but the concept is still the same. their perception takes a different form than ours.

14. How do you know that?

Also, dreams aren't always experience based. I've seen things (especially colors) in dreams that I've never seen in real life.

15. My dreams feel like i actually experienced them its crazy im depersonalized as fuck too

16. that's not what i meant by experience-based-- i suppose that was the wrong term to use. sensory-based, i suppose, would be more accurate. if you've never experienced a particular sensory input (sound, light, taste, smell, touch) you won't experience it in your dreams. i know this because A) it's been a subject of curiosity for me for several years, and i've done some reading on it and B) because my younger cousin was born blind and i've had extensive discussions with him due to my curiosity. he's just one case though-- so it's really the reading i'm relying on as my source. he has a difficult time describing himself sometimes too, so it's not always very clear the difference between what he means and how i understand it.

17. Can you link me or refer me to that which you've read?

18. #19 Fresh Error, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
    here's a link..
    DreamResearch.net: Do the Blind Literally "See" in Their Dreams?
    right now i'm not finding a couple of the links that i was really looking for. they're bookmarked on my laptop- so when my roomie comes home tomorrow (he's borrowing my laptop), i'll provide those if i can't find em before then.

i've read a few books loosely based on the subject and many more based directly on dreaming. i'll pull a few titles out of my head a little later. dreaming in general is a really fascinating topic. the link i provided actually cites a few resources that i'm probably gonna look into.

19. Cool I give em a read when I have the time. It's a very interesting subject. Thank you