Do you guys actually buy your music and movies?

Discussion in 'General' started by Keith McKief, Jan 4, 2013.

1. The thing is, I usually just download my music and movies, but when I really really love the artist or movie, I usually contemplate actually purchasing the material. And this got me wondering, how many of you guys actually buy physical copies of music or movies? Or even pay for instant rental or something, instead of just downloading it?

2. If I respect the final product of whatever I want, whether it be music or movies than yes I buy it. Example being I buy breaking seasons because I respect that show.

If I enjoy it but not to the point of respect then I download it.

3. 99% if the time no, I'll just torrent movies/music. If its a artist that I really like then and only then will I buy an album.

4. Does anybody actually just steal everything in sight? That used to be called kleptomania.

But seriously, yeah. If I'm going to get hours of enjoyment out of something, I'm more than happy to pay for that experience.

5. I never pay for music. I have a Netflix account, so sometimes I get movies off there and I'll stream shows if they're available.
    On occasion, I'll watch a new release On Demand. Sometimes the extra quality is nice (I'm aware that you can get great quality online, I'm just too lazy and impatient to wait for the download).

6. Nope it's honestly faster to steal it then to go out and buy it depending on your download speed.

7. Same. I honestly don't buy albums except for artists that I'm a big fan of. And I rarely buy movies anyway. If I had more money I'd buy all my music, probably..

8. I have never downloaded a film illegally before lol which is apparently weird seeing how many people do it naturally now

I buy CD's too, but I buy them off Amazon real cheap to put onto my iTunes. It costs hardly anything and you actually get the cd to keep to reuse again and again. Plus you're supporting the artist too

9. It's not really stealing... Well music you could make an argument for... But with movies and shit, it's not like people were going to buy the $30 dvd to watch the movie once.

I guess with amazon and itunes offering digital rentals now that argument kinda starts to fall flat. But still most people doing it are the opportunistic kind. I don't think removing piracy would really affect sales as dramatically as people think.

10. [quote name='"NutsLikeKngKong"']It's not really stealing... Well music you could make an argument for... But with movies and shit, it's not like people were going to buy the $30 dvd to watch the movie once.

I guess with amazon and itunes offering digital rentals now that argument kinda starts to fall flat. But still most people doing it are the opportunistic kind. I don't think removing piracy would really affect sales as dramatically as people think.[/quote]

That's how I feel, i think even music should be free to download yeah it's hard to write a song but theirs 100x harder jobs out there that get paid less money. I think musicians should only get payed to play live because it's actually more like "working" compared to writing a song and just putting it on the Internet to bank. They have it made for not having to do to much.

11. Sense I'm in a situation where I can.. I buy and support the things I like. When I'm not finically stable I'll just download. Life's full of ups and downs. It always coes around.
    But yes I try very hard to always support the things I dig.

12. "Burn it off the fucking internet and bump it outside!" - Immortal Technique.
    In short, no. Hahaha. 'Buying'.

13. Nope. Fuck that.

14. TBH, I usually just download my media of the internet. I don't find any reason behind paying for most music or movies, your money usually never ever ever makes it to the musicians or actors anyway. - They make somewhere below -1% of sales on average if im not mistaken.

15. Looks like I am the norm....I will torrent the music/movie and if I really dig it, then I will go buy the album. But these days with the shit that Hollywood pushes out the door, I have no quams streaming/torrent my movies, saves me money and time. Literally, time, in that I will watch what is a 90min movie in under 10min if it's really crappy....looking at you Year One...

16. i haven't bought any music in a loooong time, i don't really dowload music though, some times a song or two to sample, or remix, but other than that i just watch vids on youtube, or listen to spotify as far as music goes, movies i don't really buy, unless its something i really like, or if its a bluray, you can download blurays, but i don't have a hd screen for my laptop, so i sometimes buy them for my tv though.

17. #17 bwood, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    Ill pirate it first and if its of high quality and deserving of my money then I will purchase it. Recently bought the new Dada Life album, im glad I pirated it when I did or I wouldnt have bought it from the store when I saw it.

Lol at people still using the word stealing when talking about digital media.

Make sure not to spend any of your money on anything these people took part in.

Jamie Foxx, Jason Bateman, Paul Rudd, Beyonce Knowles, Amy Poehler, Jeremy Renner, Amanda Pete, Jon Hamm, Carla Gugino, Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, Rashida Jones, Will Ferrell, Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari, John Legend, Olivia Munn, Kathryn Hahn, Julianne Moore, Busy Phillips, Jennifer Garner, John Slattery, Nick Offermann, Chris Rock, Cameron Diaz, Courtney Cox, Christina Applegate, Zooey Deschanel, Steve Carrell, Adam Scott, Ellen Degeneres, Mark Ruffalo, Kate Hudson, Peter Dinklage, Jennifer Aniston, Elizabeth Banks, Max Greenfeld,Gwyneth Paltrow, Conan Obrien, Aubrey Plaza, Debra Messing, Megan Mullaly, Jennifer Westfeldt, Selena Gomez, Michelle Williams, Chris Paul, Victor Cruz