Do you find it hard...

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Shade, Apr 27, 2009.

1. (I thought that title might pique your attention...)

...to relate to people who aren't smokers? Be they family members, friends, or potential love-interests of some sort.

I do, I find it very hard in most cases. Granted, there are exceptions to this rule, for me, but by and large I can't typically relate to and get along with non-smokers as well as I can with smokers.

Like my family for instance, I love'm to death, but I have almost nothing in common with them, and thus I can't really find much common ground to talk to them casually, if you know what I mean. At family gatherings, like Christmas or Thanksgiving, I feel like something of an outsider most of the time. I mean... they're all talking about shit that doesn't really interest me in the least, and I can't just bust out with... "DAMN I smoked some fuckin DANK last night, yall wanna see?"

Now, I'm sure its not just the fact that I'm a smoker and they aren't which causes this, but I imagine it is a large contributing factor to one degree or another.

So do yall have similar experiences/feelings as this? Or am I just an anti-social motherfucker?

2. I wouldn't say you're anti-social, but I would say you let marijuana be a huge part of your life. I can relate to smokers and non-smokers, but I agree it can be a bit easier to relate to smokers. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but let me give you an example:

I can relate to ANYONE who smokes, despite their religion, race, intelligence, stereotype, etc.

I can only relate to someone who doesn't smoke if they share similar interests as me, background, customs, etc.

I guess all I'm trying to say is you can relate to any stoner, but you can't relate to any non-smokers unless they share your interests.

So, I guess just think more about what you do when you aren't high and try to find a common ground there. It might be hard, but if marijuana is THAT big of an impact over your life, maybe you should re-evaluate what it does for you.

3. Nah, I don't think it rules my life or anything like that, but it is important to me.

Aside from that though, I just find it odd that it is so much easier to relate to a smoker than to a non-smoker. I mean, my perceptions on this are basically the same as the ones you posted.

It does kind of bother me that it is hard, most of the time, relating to some of my own family members though. But perhaps that's just the way things are... I mean, even if I wasn't a smoker, I can't think of much that would change in that regard, with them.

4. #4 captainpolaroid, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
    i think its more so that weed has opened my eyes to the world. this is the thing that governs whether or not i will relate to people but weed IS responsible for it. people that smoke to "get as fucked up as they can" tend to annoy me because i dont think thats what its for. so usually i stay away from that type of smoker, but cool, care free, intellectual "neo-hippie" stoners like myself i relate to easier than most people. but there are alot of cool people that dont smoke too, its more so peoples take on life and their personality for me i think. but smoking is a big plus and a good ice breaker

Edit: and on the family note. i dont bond very much with mine either and my dad smokes, he just doesnt know i do.. yet

5. Yeah, I think you're on to something here.

Maybe its not about smoking or non-smoking so much as it is about how your perspective on certain things tends to change and evolve with the sense of enlightenment that comes from those really clear, thought-provoking highs.

I mean its one thing to be able to talk about dank in general to another smoker... but its also usually a lot more than just that. There's like an unspoken understanding about things, so to speak.

6. When I was in high school, we had exchange student programs. The students would come from other countries and they would attend a week-long introductory/orientation program to get them acquainted with America and our lifestyle and such. They always shared a closer bond than they did with the rest of the students. Not to say they only hung out with each other but it was easier for them to relate to how different America was to them.

Basically, no, you aren't anti-social, you're simply connecting easier with people who are more like to you based on a certain illegal activity.

7. yeah dude exactly. plus theres a huge difference between a smoker and somone who smokes occasionally. generally if people dont spend alot of time with herb and they only smoke at partys and social situations they dont really get what its about. so while your're conversing with somone you think is a stoner they could just be somone that does it for attention or somthing like that. one thing ive noticed is that every body wants to smoke weed, but nobody wants to smoke weed. if that makes sense :smoking:

8. I understand wanting to bust out about the dank you smoked at family events. I wish my [extended] family was cooler about marijuana. They're all right-wing, white, Christian people with sticks up their corn-holes, so I never have anything to say around them. Sometimes they even have the audacity to say, "Are you still smoking your pot :mad:". Yeahhh, now those are the kind of nonsmokers I can't/dont want to relate to

9. Yeah that's basically my cousins. I mean, they're good people and all, but I have like nothing in common with any of them. When they all first found out I smoked, they used to give me shit about having the munchies -_- lols...

10. Mmm, I hear ya. Like, I'm not meaning to talk crap about my family, but i and they are NOT on the same level. Might as well be from different planets sometimes! They just need to chill and smoke a bowl, fo realz..

11. EVERYONE needs to chill and smoke a bowl for realz. this world feels upsidedown somtimes

12. Untill a certain point I can relate to ALOT of people, but then theres a BIG FUCKING CANYON that goes down, and people cant follow me in there, most smokers can, No non-smoker can.
    Its weird, and lovely at the same time.

:smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking:.. :smoking:

13. My family is not the issue, my Dad knows and he used to smoke, my brother and I smoke together and I am not with my extended family enough for them to know I even smoke.

I wish I had friends to smoke with. All the people I have met in this town are pretty straight edge.